Christmas rush

We seem to be getting a rush of new camera models ready for Christmas.  This week there has been a new Sony and one from OM Digital Systems.  Next week yet another new one from Fuji.

• Administrators

Looks like the OM-5 has not had a good reception from the review brigade. 

I'm still leaning towards bringing a Fuji into my life, but not professionally, just as a personal camera. I'm thinking one of the X-100 cameras might be the thing for me to re-ignite my love for photography. I will probably carry on using the MFT gear I own until it dies and can't be resuscitated. There's no benefit to be gained in these constant "upgrades". People who believe that there is are missing something greater in their lives. 

At the moment, I think the main reason I would be tempted by a new camera body would be to allow be to get the old one IR converted.  The Fuji X-E4 certianly didn't tempt me to upgrade from my X-E3.  Looking at the features of newer Fuji bodies, I'm not really sure what I'd want to see in an X-E5 to tempt me to upgrade.  I'm not sure I need the 40Mpixel sensor the is appearing in the top end model.  Perhaps IBIS and returning the buttons that disappeared on the X-E4.

Fuji X-T5 and new 30mm macro announced overnight.

also new camera from Canon.  just a lens from Nikon, but what a monster!

Edited by crowecg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Finally, I have decided to plunge and ordered the Fujifilm X-E4 with the Fujinon XF27mm F2.8 R WR. Why? Mainly curiosity since I have already worked wit the previous X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3 models and, I must add, that I have a particular affection for all rangefinder style cameras which are discret and easy to bring with you and operate as a street and travel photo device. So, it is the Chis entirely fault with his Christmas campaign! 😉🎅

• Happy 1

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Flickr

19 hours ago, danielm said:

Finally, I have decided to plunge and ordered the Fujifilm X-E4 with the Fujinon XF27mm F2.8 R WR. Why? Mainly curiosity since I have already worked wit the previous X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3 models and, I must add, that I have a particular affection for all rangefinder style cameras which are discret and easy to bring with you and operate as a street and travel photo device. So, it is the Chis entirely fault with his Christmas campaign! 😉🎅

What happened to your X-E3?   I'll probably wait for the X-E5, I just don't see the X-E4 as a big enough improvement over X-E3.  Although if the X-E5 doesn't turn out well, perhaps a X-E4 on clearance might do.   

My guess is that the X-E5 will take the 26 Mpixel BSI sensor from the X-H2s and go shutterless - perhaps leaving enough space to squeeze in IBIS.  I think the sensor is just about fast enough to achieve that.  That might be enough to tempt me if they don't mess too much else up - ideally add back the buttons that disappeared between the -3 and -4.  

At the moment I'm not using my 27 much, i generally leave the 16 f/2.8 on most of the time?  The prices for the 27 both the WR and the original non-WR seem a lot higher than I remember paying - I seem to recall considering it quite good value, but not at the price that they are now at.

• Contributor
2 hours ago, crowecg said:

What happened to your X-E3?   I'll probably wait for the X-E5, I just don't see the X-E4 as a big enough improvement over X-E3.  Although if the X-E5 doesn't turn out well, perhaps a X-E4 on clearance might do.   

Hi Chris,
Last year, I did try briefly (thanks to a friend) the Fuji X-E4 but at the time I was already been influenced for such a long time using the excellent X-E3 model that I have considerate that the X-E4 had a too much design/interface departure from the X-E3. Now the X-E3 is gone since about a year after one of my numerous occasional finance fire sales and I am now able to complete again my photo equipment gear kit which consist of a more oriented action/animal camera with a centered viewfinder (X-S10) and an another street/travel rangefinder style smaller option with the X-E4/XF27mm WR.

It is true to say that the actual price level of Fujifilm gear have increased significantly since the last few years but I manage ton find some fair selling prices here in Canada. For example you will pay around $300CAN more to get the XF27mm F2.8 R WR when it is purchased with the X-E4.

For the rest, I have to fully work with the Fuji X-E4 to be able to appreciate or not its abilities. Will see if it is becoming a long time keep gear.

Have a good day! 

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Flickr