Upper Florentine World Heritage Area Tasmania.

• Contributor

After several years' break I ventured into the old growth forest that was listed as a World Heritage Area in 2014 after an eight year campaign by diverse members of the public who had sought to save it from the logging industry. The area I went to consumed much of my time 2006-2014 as I photographed both the forest and the protesters involved in the campaign, but this time I carried my rubbish-tip rescued and restored 1910's Pony Premo 5"x7" format camera and 1960's Schneider Kreuznach 5,6/180mm Symmar lens .

The ensuing years had led to the forest reclaiming virtually all signs of the campaign that went on there, and I really had to work hard penetrating a place which once had been well marked and relatively easy going. After a couple of hours of struggle I gave up and set up the camera to take this single shot using Ilford Multigrade IV paper for the negative. Even though the sun was shining in a clear sky it was as dark as early evening in there as the exposure of 2 minutes at f11 rated at 1.6 ISO attests.

peccaV6.jpg

Keeping with analogue, I drove a bit further down the road after extricating myself from that entanglement and climbed a steep little hill to photograph the forest for a more general of the forest that stretches off into the distance (to be undisturbed by the greed of industry forever more), using my trusty 1980's Pentacon Six TL camera with a 1960's Carl Zeiss Jena 2,8/180mm lens and Ilford Pan F Plus film.

dVA3okM.jpg

• Like 4

Fascinating, both the pictures and the places.  Fred would be proud😉.

I really must find an opportunity get on the boat and head south (although sometime in the next month or two, it will take me a bit of a longer trip to find the boat as the terminal is moving from Port Melbourne to Geelong).

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Really like the top image, a mysterious arrangement of trunks and lighting.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Excellent, as always, Alan. 

Nature will find its way back when we’re all gone. 

• Like 2

• Contributor

.... and I should have given up trying to proceed when common sense told me to do just that at my age. Looks like the fall I had at the outset which broke my Leki walking pole also broke my abdominal wall - doctor's appointment next Monday to investigate what looks precisely like a hernia. This could end up being the most expensive pair of photographs I've ever taken! 🤒

• Grimmace 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

also broke my abdominal wall

Oh no! I hope it isn't causing you too much discomfort? I have been carrying an inguinal hernia since about 2003 myself. It's annoying, but the thought of subjecting myself to anaesthetised surgery for the first time ever is a bridge I am not ready to cross just yet. 

• Contributor
9 hours ago, Dallas said:

Oh no! I hope it isn't causing you too much discomfort? I have been carrying an inguinal hernia since about 2003 myself. It's annoying, but the thought of subjecting myself to anaesthetised surgery for the first time ever is a bridge I am not ready to cross just yet. 

I reckon that if it stays as it is I'll be following your course of action as a preference, too. It's no real trouble at the moment (just a bit uncomfortable at times, letting me know it's there), but I'll get the doc's opinion as well just to be sure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

I reckon that if it stays as it is I'll be following your course of action as a preference, too. It's no real trouble at the moment (just a bit uncomfortable at times, letting me know it's there), but I'll get the doc's opinion as well just to be sure.

Hopefully this doesn’t affect your ability to continue to use those beautiful cameras to take wonderful pictures.

• Contributor
3 hours ago, crowecg said:

Hopefully this doesn’t affect your ability to continue to use those beautiful cameras to take wonderful pictures.

It might curtail the more adventurous walks into the forest I'd planned, but I'll never stop taking photos with those cameras - after half-a-century of photography being a daily occupation, I'm enjoying the chance in retirement to be utilising "proper" photographic materials and equipment again too much to contemplate giving it up altogether, hernia or no hernia! 😊