What Kind Of Lenses Excite You The Most?

Most Interesting Lenses  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What types of lenses excite you most of all? (choose as many as you like)

• Fast Primes
    • Pro Zooms
    • Extreme Wide Angles
    • Super Telephotos
    • Macro
    • Other

• Administrators

Do you prefer zoom lenses, primes, telephotos, general focal lengths or super wide angle lenses? 

I'm not sure what my opus lens would be, but I think it would probably be something that is fast aperture and does a moderate wide angle to mid-range zoom. I could probably get that in the form of the Sigma 18-35/1.8 on a Speedbooster, but it's a monster size lens. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

I've always loved a longer telephoto for most of the shots I do.  I've had to force myself at times to embrace the wide to medium focal lengths.

• Like 1

See my content here:

http://www.visualohio.com | BESTLIGHTPHOTO BLOG | Flickr 

I shoot Nikon, Olympus, and Fujifilm

I went out for a walk this morning and I was swapping between a 70-300 and a 16.  I think I do tend to gravitate to the extremes.  In the past I’ve tended to rely on zooms but when I swapped to Fuji, I got the 27 f/2.8 to give me a pocketable set up and have since added the 16 f/2.8 and I’m really happy with it.  The 16 may not be as compact as the 27 but there is just something about the feel of it on the camera.  I suspect I would like the feel of some of the other Fuji f/2 primes but can’t really justify them on the basis of sitting just either side of the 27 in terms of focal length.

I suppose I should add why I voted “other”, light, compact primes are the current temptation.

• Contributor

No lens in particular excites me, I tend to obtain lenses as I need them to fit a specific project, or as I need them for specific cameras. As a consequence I have at least 58 lenses for my 9 different camera systems (plus 5 enlarger lenses, and not counting lenses no longer in reliable, usable order). None are stored in display cabinets for show (as is the way of collectors./hoarders), and all are in usable, working order packed and ready to go in their respective cases, bags or backpacks. All have been bought new or second-hand and used as needed during the past 10 years or so.

Most have enjoyed a well-deserved break over the past six months or so, though, as I have done likewise, deciding that if I am to say that I'm retired, I may just as well see what actually being "retired" is like. I confess that I have slipped from time to time and crawled under a focusing cloth to expose a some silver to daylight, but my long-neglected guitars have now been played more often than they had in the past 15 years combined to fill in that time. :D

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

as I have done likewise, deciding that if I am to say that I'm retired, I may just as well see what actually being "retired" is like.

Good to hear from you again, Alan. :) Retirement is for when I am dead. Right now I am still trying to navigate the figurative asteroids flying around in my realm. 

I'm actually now only in possession of 7 lenses, 2 of which I seldom use and 1 of which remains sealed in its box in the hope that I can offload it as I doubt I will ever use it. This is the Olympus 30mm f/2.8 Macro. I bought it for a specific job photographing some plumbing hardware, but the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO got me close enough. Sadly nobody is interested in buying the macro lens so I might just open the box soon and see if I can find a place for it. 

I also sold off my Olympus 75mm f/1.8 a few weeks back as it too was not being used (considering that events were sent packing by the covidites). The money I got for that one went towards funding my house move. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 18:59, Alan7140 said:

Most have enjoyed a well-deserved break over the past six months or so, though, as I have done likewise, deciding that if I am to say that I'm retired, I may just as well see what actually being "retired" is like. I confess that I have slipped from time to time and crawled under a focusing cloth to expose a some silver to daylight, but my long-neglected guitars have now been played more often than they had in the past 15 years combined to fill in that time. :D

Hopefully, photography can find its way into your retirement as a hobby.  Your pictures and words of wisdom are definitely appreciated here.

You wouldn’t want all those lenses to become museum pieces, they need to be used.😃

• Like 1

• Contributor

Lenses just like cameras come and go in my hands since so many years that will be very difficult to select a preferred one. Overtime I have found that some trans-standard zoom optics, especially the longer ones, were inspiring "on-the-go" lenses as for the semi-angle and standard prime lenses. The long telephotos (zoom or not) are also funny but limited creative optics very good for detailing your subject and discriminate from its context. 
Overall I tend to do the invert and challenge me to find a way to get photographic interest with the material that is falling in my modest hands...

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Flickr

• Contributor
On 23/06/2022 at 07:36, crowecg said:

Hopefully, photography can find its way into your retirement as a hobby.  Your pictures and words of wisdom are definitely appreciated here.

You wouldn’t want all those lenses to become museum pieces, they need to be used.😃

I'll never give photography up completely (51½ years continuously so far), but the lockdowns and general avoidance of people in general brought on by the pandemic, along with months of very ordinary weather and light curtailed my enthusiasm somewhat. For the foreseeable future I'm pretty well bonded to the idea of continuing with B&W film and the various cameras I have for that at present, but even this is being curtailed by the massive increase in diesel fuel price here which makes even a short exploratory drive in search of suitable subject matter ridiculously expensive to undertake. I did take one photo, however, on the homeward stretch of an alarmingly short $60 drive a couple of days ago,  which I'll post here in the Analogue section a bit later.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Fortunately I am not travelling much anywhere these days, so a tank of fuel lasts me for quite a while (I'm averaging 9.9L/100km on a 50L tank). We are expecting another giant hike in the petrol price next week, so I will top up before that happens. 

I have now also put up another 2 lenses for sale, the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye and the Sigma 60mm 2.8 DN. Neither of them get used at all these days, so hopefully tselling them will offset against the purchase of a very cheap Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro I got today. I mean it was really cheap @ about $120. I took this shot of my Swiss Army watch - single frame, no stacking. Then I quickly took the watch to the kitchen and gave it a good cleaning with an old toothbrush! :D 

DALL0070.jpg

I just noticed that I am a day out. There is no 31st of June. 

This was the setup for the above shot.

IMG_4198.JPG

• Like 1

For wideangle I like contrast an sharpness all into the corners - in the end I am a landscape guy. So with Nikon it was the Zeiss ZF21mm, that was my all time favourite.

Sharpness is relevant for me in all shots, I have to confess...

When I got a used Otus 55 all of a sudden I found "normal" interesting again, maybe because I could use it at every aperture without loss of sharpness and the bokeh was nice and smooth. That was when I finally found out that the way the unsharp is rendered is important for me. So now for my not-wideangel-shots I try to get lenses, that have pleasing bokeh. At the moment for bokehish shots these are an old Contax Zeiss 645 120mm makro and the Fujis 110 for non makro.

• Like 1