Burnin' & Lootin'

Dallas

• Administrators

When I was a young boy aged about 9 or 10 I bought my first LP record. It was the iconic Bob Marley album Live! recorded at the Lyceum theatre in London in 1975. The second track of the album is entitled "Burnin' & Looting". I sang along to this for years and years, never really understanding what Marley was singing about, but feeling cool that I was listening to this underground reggae music when all my friends were listening to ABBA. 

In early July, as you already know, we lived through some of the most horrific days I have ever experienced when parts of the Zulu nation went on a literal Burnin' & Lootin' rampage that lasted for 4 days. They were allegedly protesting the imprisonment of former President Jacob Zuma, but it was pretty obvious that there was a lot more to this than just a political protest. It was, to my mind, the culmination of frustration at poor leadership around the pandemic, false racially charged "blame" narratives perpetuated by an evil media and a seemingly uncaring commercial world that just carries on as if nothing is happening when all around it's plain to see that rampant capitalism has marginalised entire groups of people as it prioritises profit over humanity. 

Don't get me wrong. I am a capitalist at heart and I always will be. I love nothing more than to make a Dollar, but if there is one thing that I value over anything else it is job creation. Unless you have experienced the desperation of being unemployed you will not appreciate what goes on in the mind of the afflicted. You will not understand the agony of feeling your self worth being eroded as the world goes on without you. 

And so it is with immense self conflict that I walked through this destroyed shopping mall near Pietermaritzburg on Thursday, wondering what will become of those 2000 people who lost their jobs after an angry mob laid this place to waste. Who will be there to pick up the pieces? Will anybody even bother? Or will the ruling class continue to drive this group of people into reliance on them for handouts (and votes)? 

I wish I had answers for you, but alas I only have photos. 

DAL11363.jpg

DAL11368.jpg

DAL11347-HDR.jpg

DAL11370.jpg

DAL11345.jpg

DAL11353-HDR.jpg

DAL11366.jpg

DAL11364.jpg

• Like 3

• Contributor

Thanks again Dallas for this revealing photoreportage. Like you I cherish individual initiatives and liberty to express ourselves but one thing I have observed during this last decades is the downfall of self-criticism replaced by an obvious narcissistic up grown nourished by the expand of electronic social medias. People are now thinking that can avoid all human reciprocity and responsibility to their own and only profit despite the fact that human evolution is a social history at first. 

• Like 1

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Fliickr

• Administrators

Thank you for the comment, Daniel. 

It is so difficult to explain to people the complexities of life in South Africa. Later that afternoon we had this amazing 3 course lunch and sitting at our table was an African lady who is (I think) involved as one of the sponsors of the food handouts that the NM Foundation was giving out. In conversation we were in total agreement that this sort of thing (handouts) is unsustainable. The only way to pull people out of poverty is to put them to work. If you take their work away from them you don't leave them with anything but pain and when you're in pain you can't rationalise. It's just not possible. 

At the beginning of this pandemic I said that the consequences of economic lock down were going to be more disastrous than the disease we were cowering from. I was right. These photos prove that because this wasn't just about Jacob Zuma. It was about frustration with government's handling of a bad situation. Those who opposed my thinking on here (and other platforms) are, I'm afraid, just dead wrong. Yes, it is a serious virus that is causing the deaths of many people worldwide, but Dear God, please tell me how putting people out of work is going to make it any better? Taking away a person's freedom to earn a living is about the most insensitive and utterly obscene thing I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing in my lifetime. I just can't and won't ever get behind it. I would rather die of covid than see so many people suffer the indignity of unnecessary unemployment. It is anathema to me to think of lockdowns in any other way than a massive crime against humanity. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Here in Canada a temporary special program has been introduced by the federal government to avoid short term economical issues from the unemployment provoked by the sanitary crisis. Of course we are a rich country and it was easy to do so even if the program has been criticized by some anti-any government interventions. Now our economy is gradually recovering although some sectors are still deeply affected. 
It seems that having a job, profession or paying occupation has become a very specific privilege available only to some communities-in compared to others human groups-out.  I cannot stop thinking about the H.G.Wells "Time-Machine" paradigm where the chosen ones (Elois) are dominating without any efforts (even intellectual) the exploited others (Morlocks).

Daniel M on Fliickr

• Administrators

The problem is that the people who are making these decisions are not living through the pain they are causing themselves. It disgusts me. Not one politician I've seen barking down orders to their citizens seems to be willing to donate any of their own earnings to those who's lives they have already ended through policies that are, to be blunt, the intellectual equivalent of eating a fine meal while seated on the commode. And what are they going to do when the Echo variant renders this current vaccine drive pointless? 

• Contributor
6 minutes ago, Dallas said:

The problem is that the people who are making these decisions are not living through the pain they are causing themselves.

May be the "best" politicians are the ones that are not willing to postulate mainly because of the toxic climate created by the misuse of social media. This phenomena is evident in Canada. Who wants today to be assassinated virtually???!!!

Daniel M on Fliickr

• Administrators

Social media needs to be ended. the sooner the better. More harm has been foisted upon the world through those platforms than anything else I can think of. 

• Contributor
2 minutes ago, Dallas said:

Social media needs to be ended. the sooner the better. More harm has been foisted upon the world through those platforms than anything else I can think of. 

You are right about the damage but that will be almost impossible and social media play now an important role into the modern Web society. Like many other communication channels, it will need a kind of user accountability to prevent anonymous abuses.

• Like 1

Daniel M on Fliickr

• Administrators

Absolutely, Daniel. I left Twitter because of the ability of anonymous non-people to post whatever they like without any recourse. I started this community here at around the same time that these social media platforms were gaining popularity. One of the things we did here was to appoint moderators and create a "code of conduct". While the moderation team screwed up often enough, the job of trying to be impartial became really difficult and of course there are always feelings of resentment from "injured" parties when they aren't allowed to freely speak their minds. But we moderated anyway and took the reprisals on the chin, all the while social media took the opposite approach and allowed whatever and whoever to say whatever they felt like without any accountability. Little wonder that those digital platforms grew like mushrooms on a midden. 

I see great value in the ability to share ideas and thoughts about issues across the internet with complete strangers, but I do believe that social media companies like Facebook and Twitter must be held accountable for what they allow to be published on their platforms. They can't sit on their hands and say "oh we have no control over what people can post on our platform". What BS! They absolutely have control, they just don't want to assume the responsibility of doing so. All of the carnage you see in these photos was co-ordinated on platforms owned by Zuckerberg and his counterpart at Twitter. They should be held accountable. They should be forced to pay reparation to the people of all the countries who's societies have suffered with riots and this sort of thing. It's not right that they continue to get away with it. 

Anyway, I better stop now. I'm ranting...

• Like 1

• Contributor
3 minutes ago, Dallas said:

I see great value in the ability to share ideas and thoughts about issues across the internet with complete strangers, but I do believe that social media companies like Facebook and Twitter must be held accountable for what they allow to be published on their platforms. They can't sit on their hands and say "oh we have no control over what people can post on our platform".

I can share your true frustration when we are facing people that, without any self courage, give to themselves the empower to destruct and to discredit sincere fellow humans that are proposing constructive ways to live and share their positive spirit. Many of them are small minded persons that have discovered how to use the social media to post their falsely signed "grafittis" in complete disrespect of their fellow citizens.
But as this Web site and other ones are proving, the Internet network can an outstanding and productive tool for us but we have to develop a kind of insensibility to barking liars (big mouth, little sens, intimidating manner).

• Like 1

Daniel M on Fliickr

fredazinger
13 hours ago, danielm said:

You are right about the damage but that will be almost impossible and social media play now an important role into the modern Web society. Like many other communication channels, it will need a kind of user accountability to prevent anonymous abuses.

Bingo -- stop the anonymous nature and hold people accountable for their speech.   I believe in freedom of speech - just need to be accountable for what you say. 

Words, like actions [need to] have consequences.

In many ways that starts with sites like this and most others that allow "handles" for people's names and provide no traceability.

• Like 2

Hot bodies (D800E, D810, D4, D500) and plenty of glass, but always lusting for more.