Plenty River Valley, Tasmania

Alan7140

• Contributor
Alan7140

Taken this morning in perfect late-winter light, a view in the Plenty Valley, Southern Tasmania.

Thornton Pickard c.1910's half-plate camera, 1963 Rodenstock 9/360 Apo-Ronar lens, Ilford Multigrade IV photographic paper for negative. 15 seconds @ f/45

VnvKoUP.jpg

• Like 5
  • Applaud 1

• Subscriber

Beautiful scenery and composition.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

CarreraS

Lovely softness to that pic, Alan. I've got some of that paper somewhere, maybe I'll cut some to 35mm size and try it in my F5

Now if you had cranked that capture down to f64, you could have joined the Ansel Adams club .. !

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

• Contributor
Alan7140

Thanks, Aguinaldo, Dallas and Maurice. :)

As for f64 group membership, I reckon exposures are plenty long enough at 15 secs/f45 - it would have to be a dead calm day to have me head southwards through F64 and beyond with even lengthier exposure times as these old wooden cameras are very prone to wobbling their parts in even the slightest breeze. 😁

Hugh_3170

A most pleasant and soothing image - best viewed large as Mike Gorman used to say. (Maybe the gorse (that I think I am seeing) on the right side is not so good.)

Do you cut the paper down to size or can half plate sized paper still be purchased?

• Contributor
Alan7140
On 26/08/2021 at 14:40, Hugh_3170 said:

A most pleasant and soothing image - best viewed large as Mike Gorman used to say. (Maybe the gorse (that I think I am seeing) on the right side is not so good.)

Do you cut the paper down to size or can half plate sized paper still be purchased?

Thanks, Hugh.

I have marked the ruler on my 24"/610mm Rotatrim cutter so that lining up one short edge and then one long edge against them results in accurate cutting of 5x7" paper to half-plate size - under safelight conditions, of course. I believe Ilford still do still make MG IV (now MG V) paper in whole-plate size in limited runs, which of course just needs to be cut in half to obtain half-plate size.

As for my trimmer, although they're expensive I'll endorse this brand without qualification - I bought mine in 1983 and it still cuts as good as new, and its original rotary cutting wheel has never even needed sharpening or replacement. As such it is one of my oldest photographic possessions bought new that has been, and still is in constant use ever since without any servicing or kid-gloves treatment. I can't even guess at how many hundreds of thousands of cuts that thing must have made in material of all thicknesses, from Mylar right up to picture-framers mat board.

Hugh_3170

Thanks Alan - at least with 5" x 7" there will be little wastage.  Also nice to know about the Rotatrim.