Silverstone Classic Car Event 1 August 2021

Anthony

Anthony

It was very wet in the morning, full waterproofs for me and the Z7II with 70-200 S.

20210801_Silverstone_111.jpg

20210801_Silverstone_122.jpg

20210801_Silverstone_1604.jpg

• Like 2

Anthony

The weather improved in the afternoon for the classic Formula One cars.

20210801_Silverstone_1942.jpg

20210801_Silverstone_2468.jpg

• Like 1

Anthony

For the Endurance and Mini events I switched to the 80-400 with FTZ.

20210801_Silverstone_1419.jpg

20210801_Silverstone_2192.jpg

20210801_Silverstone_2170.jpg

20210801_Silverstone_1898.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, Dallas, it was a lot of fun. I was very impressed with the Z7II as an action camera, including with the FTZ on my 80-400.

Here are a couple more you may like, as they have specific relevant connections to you.

20210801_Silverstone_2036.jpg

20210801_Silverstone_2092.jpg

• Administrators

Wow, I was a very young lad when Jody Scheckter drove that 6 wheel Tyrrell. It was quite a controversial car at the time. 

CarreraS

I used to go to the Silverstone Classic every year, as I organised the 993 Register display there for PCGB, and there was a big club presence, including our very own grandstand near the Bridge. I had press passes a couple of years, until they wanted £3M or so public liability, as di the big equestrian events .. 😲 .. even with passes it was hard to get close to the action, and with over 100,000 people there most of the 3 days, it was a bastard to get around with big lenses etc.

Were you close enough to the action, Anthony, or are those with the 70-200 S quite cropped ?

I did the Pirelli F1 Experience in june .. I had 3 sessions (could have had more) in my car, half an hour in a Ferrari F8 Tributo, half an hour in a Lamborghini Huracan all on the full GP circuit. Then took a Ferrari 812 Superfast out on the roads for 1/2 hour and had around 25 laps in a Pagani passenger seat at full chat to finish off ..

All that plus lunch in the BRDC HQ with David Coulthard hosting, then doing a few laps and donuts outside, for slightly more than  the cost of a normal trackday there ! The Pirelli support team even happily set up my Toyos to hot pressures, as it was even a beautiful summer's day.

I've recently acquired the 70-200 S, haven't tested it much on my Z7, The focus acquisition on that is pretty quick with latest firmware ..

That 6 wheel Tyrrell goes much faster now than it ever did in period, as do most Historic Racers.

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Thanks, Maurice, interesting history.

I was on a photography trip which had trackside access, so the 70-200 shots have little cropping - just to tidy up the composition. The 80-200 would have been too powerful.

I had to have £5 million of public liability insurance, which only cost £75 for a year of cover, worth it for the privilege, and somewhat reassuring.

The new International Media Centre is quite impressive.

Dallas, from what I read Scheckter did not like the six wheeler, and he is the only person to have won an F1 race in it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Anthony said:

Dallas, from what I read Scheckter did not like the six wheeler, and he is the only person to have won an F1 race in it.

Actually, come to think of it, I’m pretty sure I had a die cast toy version of the 6 wheeler.

He was quite an interesting driver, was Jody Scheckter. I think he was a bit of a square peg in the round hole in F1 as he came from a small town in SA (East London) and didn’t really fit in with the whole glamour aspect of the world racing scene. But he remained the last person to win a world championship in a Ferrari right up until Michael Schumacher joined them in the 1990’s. 

F1 these days has become a complete joke. I know he’s your countryman, but Lewis Hamilton is so loathed by race fans worldwide that the sport has become unwatchable as a result. I didn’t think it was possible to have a bigger ego than Schumacher, but there you go. I’m definitely not rooting for him to win an 8th WDC title. 

CarreraS

If my memory serves me correctly, Jody S has a farm in prime southern England (Sussex ?, no .. Hampshire, I checked) where he raises premium beef cattle. He was hosting a mini Goodwood Festival of Speed, too ..

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/jody-scheckter-from-formula-one-to-life-in-the-slow-lane-2070839.html etc

You're in trouble with me now, Dallas ! I think you would find that, apart from the hard core of British racists, Lewis is pretty much liked here and elsewhere, certainly by real F1 fans. Initially I didn't take too well to his celebrity life style .. at one stage (maybe still!) he would have a concert grand delivered to his various hotel rooms, but he speaks best on the track when down on luck and having to dig deep ! And you can't argue its the car when Bottas can't consistently get near him. He has recently put US$28M of his hard-earned cash into helping black participation in the motorsport industry, and I think was the chief instigator of F1s new stance on equality.

Or is that why your attitude to F1 is so embittered ? 😲

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

• Administrators

Nothing to do with his race and everything to do with his racing attitude. He strikes me as being the spoilt brat sort of person who can’t deal with things not going his way. If only he’d shut up then I might like him better (and I have tried to like him, but then he goes and opens his mouth). Mercedes is my preferred racing marque, so as soon as he leaves my team I’d be a happier fan! 

FYI my racing heroes have been Mika Hakkinnen, Michael Schumacher (when he was at Bennetton) and David Coulthard. I really disliked Damon Hill and top of the pops for current dislikes is Daniel Ricciardo. Not a huge fan of Verstappen either, to be honest. 

• Grimmace 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 11/08/2021 at 19:00, CarreraS said:

Or is that why your attitude to F1 is so embittered ? 😲

I just watched the first 2 episodes of the Netflix series on F1's 2020 season (which I didn't follow in the news). I like Hamilton even less now! Plonker.