Nikon Z Wireless?

Dallas

Question

• Administrators

One of my biggest frustrations with my current studio setup using the Lumix G9 is the connectivity with the Mac. I can do it but invariably it always ends up in a shouting match between me and the _______ computer when network connections don't go according to plan. When it does work it works well and I can shoot and edit immediately from Lightroom.

Now I am reading that the Z series cameras can connect directly to a network using "Infrastructure Mode". This sounds like a winning solution, but I need to know more. How does it work in practical terms? Does the computer see the camera as a capture device? A storage device? Ideally I would like to be able to shoot to a local drive and then use Lightroom's auto import feature to import from that drive and move to a unique client shoot folder (which is my current method with the Lumix).

Does anybody have any experience using this with a Z camera? 

6 answers to this question

• Contributor
Luc de Schepper
Posted (edited)

I've just setup this method on my camera and Mac mini for Auto send of images shot on my Z6 using the info in this link https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/z-series-wireless-connectivity-options.html and the Z7 Network Guide PDF. Setup took me 3 minutes, works like a charm.

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-03 om 22.17.54.png

Edited by Luc de Schepper
  • Like 2

• Contributor
Andrew L (gryphon1911)

I have not had reason to try this yet, but probably should.  I will let you know what I find in regards to it.

• Administrators

Thanks Luc! This is both encouraging and distressing at the same time, because now I know it means a return to Nikon’s system is probably nearer than I ever thought it would be. 😬

• Like 1

Anthony

My comment is the same as Andrew's. It is not a feature which I need, but I should try it.

CarreraS

It would certainly help if you mislaid your card reader while on safari .. 🤢

Certainly easy to set up, and infinitely cheaper than the various WT options !!

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

• Administrators

I have gone through an exercise of analysing whether it would be feasible for me to invest in the Z50 or not. I literally wrote down a list of pros and cons. Unfortunately the cons list is longer than the pros one and the biggest of those cons is the lack of IBIS in this body. Of all the advances in camera tech we have seen in recent history, this is probably the one thing that has served as the biggest aid to me. That said, the bulk of the work I do these days is tripod based, so it doesn’t really come into play as much as it should. However, as a system camera it just doesn’t tick enough boxes for me to justify the purchase right now. I can’t do real estate work with it without further investment in wide angle lenses, which would require an FTZ adapter (and a wide angle lens), so it would only be able to do product work with that 16-50mm lens. The only advantage of adding this camera into my studio setup would be the wireless connection to my home network, which isn’t really justification enough.

And it seems there isn’t enough interest in the Olympus E-M1 bodies I have for sale to bring in the money needed anyway. :( 

When things go back to normal I definitely will re-look at Nikon Z, but probably with a bigger sensor. Maybe. I don’t know. Just got itchy fingers I guess. 

The one thing I am going to buy soon is a Godox VL150 LED light to partner with the two Godox ES45 panels I got earlier in the month. I am going to be making a video for my dusty Fotozones video channel soon about how I have set up my product photography table. :) 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.