Nikon Z fc

crowecg

crowecg

Just as I was about to bundle up my Nikon gear for trade in, this comes along.

https://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-fc

Looks like what people have been asking for over many years.  If that had been a couple of years earlier I might have not made the move to Fuji.  However, my current feeling is to stick with Fuji, not because of the bodies, but the lenses.  Nikon has never been good at filling out the aps-c lens line and the current range of Z mount lenses just look so big.

what do you think?

crowecg

A$1499 body, A$1899 kit with 28 f/2.8.  
I think it could be popular, particularly if they fill out the lens line with more lenses like the 28 they announced with it.  That 28 is actually a full frame lens, so could there be a full frame version in the future?

Definitely competition for Fuji, as long as they realise a big driver in this segment is size and weight.   Had a quick walk round a camera shop this morning and after browsing the Nikon cabinet (unfortunately no Z fc there yet), the lenses in the Fuji cabinet looked like toys, particularly the f/2 primes, which looked tiny compared to anything from Nikon. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I just don’t see the point for DX systems in the Nikon line. It causes nothing but confusion for consumers who don’t understand the differences between the two. 

Pretty camera though. 

crowecg
4 hours ago, Dallas said:

I just don’t see the point for DX systems in the Nikon line. It causes nothing but confusion for consumers who don’t understand the differences between the two. 

Pretty camera though. 

I don’t think they’ll ever get FX sensors down to the entry level price point, so there will always be a need for smaller, cheaper sensors.  The main problem with the DX line is that despite producing mid- and high end bodies with DX sensors, the lens line up has often remained distinctly entry level and with those higher level bodies, you are left to rely on using bigger FX lenses.  However, despite these issues,  Nikon have a more clear line of progression than Canon, where there is no compatibility between EOS M and R lines.   If you read Thom Hogan, he discusses this quite often.

As for why this is a DX camera rather than an FX camera, I think it is clearly targeting Fuji, but what they will really need for that is a decent set of compact lenses.  Otherwise, if they want to satisfy the existing Nikon user, they should probably have gone FX.  But even as a FX model, they would need to consider the lenses - it doesn’t suit the Z lenses, perhaps more suited to the legacy F mount crowd but they would probably need some development in terms of adapters which give better capabilities with older lenses.

• Like 1

Anthony

As I have recently moved back to Nikon with the Z7ii, this is a very tempting camera for travel purposes and backup, in each case where weight is a consideration. It is noticeably lighter than the Fuji XT series, and the DX zooms will make a lot of sense for lightweight travel. Because is takes full size Z lenses it is much more versatile than the Canon crop sensor rivals. For longer lenses there is not much advantage in DX over FX - for example, the Fuji 100-400 weighs 1,375 gm and the Nikon 80-400 weighs 1,570 gm. And since the XT4 weighs 607 gm agains the Zfc's 445 gm, the total package weight is very similar.

crowecg
13 minutes ago, Anthony said:

As I have recently moved back to Nikon with the Z7ii, this is a very tempting camera for travel purposes and backup, in each case where weight is a consideration. It is noticeably lighter than the Fuji XT series, and the DX zooms will make a lot of sense for lightweight travel. Because is takes full size Z lenses it is much more versatile than the Canon crop sensor rivals. For longer lenses there is not much advantage in DX over FX - for example, the Fuji 100-400 weighs 1,375 gm and the Nikon 80-400 weighs 1,570 gm. And since the XT4 weighs 607 gm agains the Zfc's 445 gm, the total package weight is very similar.

Sounds like it will suit you well if you can find some small lenses that fit your needs.  

I think it sits closer to the X-T30 in weight and price.

Anthony
1 hour ago, crowecg said:

Sounds like it will suit you well if you can find some small lenses that fit your needs.  

I think it sits closer to the X-T30 in weight and price.

I am still thinking about it, but the DX zooms which came out with the Z50 have had a good review from Thom Hogan, so they would make for a good lightweight travel kit.  The new 28 mm looks promising.

crowecg
21 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The new 28 mm looks promising.

yes, I think if they build out that set of SE primes, they will have a good seller and possibly something to stop users leaving for Fuji.

• Administrators

I'm so far behind on Nikon knowledge that if I ever came back to the brand I'd have no idea where to start. Especially as far as compatibility with lenses is concerned. Anyway, no more camera gear for me for a while. I do have my old Olympus E-M1's for sale in a quest to buy another Lumix G9 but the lowball offers have sometimes had me in stitches. :rolleyes:

• Contributor
Luc de Schepper
Posted (edited)
On 30/06/2021 at 11:48, Anthony said:

Imo a Z50 makes more sense as a backup for a Z6/Z7 as the controls are similar. The control system for the Z fc is based on heritage from film cameras and in fact denies the progress made in later digital cameras.  Of course, it's a great looking camera and slowing down has its charm. However, I've experienced with the Df  for more casual use I didn't like that camera. In Europe a Z50 twin lens set (Z50, 16-50mm, 50-250mm)  can be bought for less than Euro 1.000. Also, the Z50 would double as travel/backup camera and a 1.5x converter for longer VR lenses.

Edited by Luc de Schepper
  • Like 2

Hugh_3170

When lens weight is taken into consideration, I still think that a carefully chosen MFT camera system makes more sense for  a  system that you carry on your back for large amounts of time rather than a DX/APS-C system with essentially FX/135 format sized lenses.

Alternatively one needs to get really ruthless and leave those speciality lenses at home if you are unlikely to use them on a particular outing.

• Like 1

Anthony
2 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Imo a Z50 makes more sense as a backup for a Z6/Z7 as the controls are similar. The control system for the Z fc is based on heritage from film cameras and in fact denies the progress made in later digital cameras.  Of course, it's a great looking camera and slowing down has its charm. However, I've experienced with the Df  for more casual use I didn't like that camera. In Europe a Z50 twin lens set (Z50, 16-50mm, 50-250mm)  can be bought for less than Euro 1.000. Also, the Z50 would double as travel/backup camera and a 1.5x converter for longer VR lenses.

Yes, but early reports are that the Z fc has superior AF. But it is lighter, and if the AF performance is less of an issue then it would be a better backup.

• Contributor
Luc de Schepper
3 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

When lens weight is taken into consideration, I still think that a carefully chosen MFT camera system makes more sense for  a  system that you carry on your back for large amounts of time rather than a DX/APS-C system with essentially FX/135 format sized lenses.

Alternatively one needs to get really ruthless and leave those speciality lenses at home if you are unlikely to use them on a particular outing.

I agree Hugh, and that's why I still use M43 next to my Nikon set. 

• Like 1

• Contributor
Luc de Schepper
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Yes, but early reports are that the Z fc has superior AF. But it is lighter, and if the AF performance is less of an issue then it would be a better backup.

Mostly improved Eye AF for vlogging/video purposes I've understood. Still not tempted 😉 I've used two different camera systems on holidays, it's a nuisance.

Edited by Luc de Schepper

Anthony
19 minutes ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Mostly improved Eye AF for vlogging/video purposes I've understood. Still not tempted 😉 I've used two different camera systems on holidays, it's a nuisance.

According to Ricci from the UK Nikon School, the AF improvement is not limited to vlogging and video. It will be interesting to see the independent reviews. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
Dallas
13 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

This is the great advantage of MFT which I discovered in Namibia way back in 2013. Lens size is critical when travelling. I had 6 lenses in a tiny ThinkTank Retrospective 5 bag and the size/weight was insignificant, yet the versatility offered by those lenses included everything from fisheye to macro to medium telephoto (350mm equiv). I’ve never looked back from that. 

Oh yes, I also had a LEE Seven5 filter system in the front pocket of that small camera bag. 

• Contributor
Andrew L (gryphon1911)

So walked into the camera store today and pre-ordered the Zfc with 28mm kit.

traded in the Df for it. Now it is just a waiting game to see when it will be delivered.  
Nikon did not give them an exact date, but based on their past and the information they saw in their system, estimating 4-6 weeks.

crowecg

Just got to thinking - it’s a bit ironic really - Nikon's latest release resembles a Fuji and Fuji’s most recent release, the X-S10 resembles a Nikon.  

Hugh_3170

Well Nikon and Fuji used to cooperate quite closely in the past - maybe the shape of things to come?

Actually, Nikon could do worse than partner with FujiFilm, who have managed their transition and indeed diversification into the digital world rather well.

41 minutes ago, crowecg said:

Just got to thinking - it’s a bit ironic really - Nikon's latest release resembles a Fuji and Fuji’s most recent release, the X-S10 resembles a Nikon.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just had an email today about the release of a 40 f/2 Z mount lens.  Might be well suited to the Z fc.

• Contributor
Andrew L (gryphon1911)

Absolutely loving the Zfc.  The Smallrig grip makes a world of difference in the handling when larger lenses are used. 

I also have the Viltrox 24mm f/1.8 in my possession. Will be trying that one out today.  I really wanted the Nikon 28/2.8 SE, but just can’t get them here. 

The Viltrox looks promising though. 

Edited by Andrew L (gryphon1911)
typo corrections
  • Like 1