Big Sur = Big Problems

Dallas

• Administrators

I don't know what is going on at Apple lately, but it seems that they are intent on making a lot of enemies with their customers after some truly shocking software upgrades. Big Sur is the latest macOS and it seems that it too is causing untold grief for many users running on certain platforms, especially older MacBook Pro's from around 2013-14, which after attempting to upgrade find themselves "bricked" (i.e. completely useless). This article goes into some more detail. 

IMG_2948 2.PNG

In my own instance I have not and most definitely will not be entertaining any more updates to any of my equipment after some of the very weird things I have noticed happening since the last updates. My iPhone 7P is doing some very strange things, not least of which is the weather app insisting I am in Kiruhura, Uganda when it comes to local weather. I am not joking, see the attached screenshot. The phone has also decided to ignore all my settings and will upload something somewhere using my mobile data whenever I am out of wifi and attribute it to a thing called "Documents & Sync". I get 1GB of data with my plan and already this month on the few occasions I was out of the house it used up the whole gig. No response from Apple. Lots of similar complaints going back years. 

But the most alarming thing that happened recently occurred when I was listening to Apple Music on my MacBook Pro, which is plugged into my desktop audio amp. I got a call so I pressed pause on the keyboard, finished the conversation and then pressed play again. Instead of hearing music I was hearing a conversation happening in what seemed to be a group of people having their photo taken by somebody using a phone. For about 3 minutes I listened agog to what this group were doing before I quit Apple Music. To say that it freaked me out would be an understatement, so I Googled it and found a few other people reporting similar things happening to them years ago. 

Has anybody else been experiencing weird things with their Apple products of late? 

• Subscriber

I never update to the latest OS until a few months have gone by, maybe even half a year.

The stuff you describe is very creepy indeed.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yes, unfortunately I’m a bit too curious when it comes to new OS updates but I am paying the price now. 

One of the things that caught my attention on the Big Sur information posted on Apple’s website is that future updates will happen “faster” in the background without the operator knowing. That alone is cause for concern because it implies that we will no longer be able to control what the computer is downloading. 

This world is seemingly moving in a very worrying direction. 

On 16/11/2020 at 18:57, Dallas said:

Yes, unfortunately I’m a bit too curious when it comes to new OS updates but I am paying the price now. 

One of the things that caught my attention on the Big Sur information posted on Apple’s website is that future updates will happen “faster” in the background without the operator knowing. That alone is cause for concern because it implies that we will no longer be able to control what the computer is downloading. 

This world is seemingly moving in a very worrying direction. 

Folks at Apple are spoiled by their fast internet. The last thing anyone with a slow internet connection wants is to have their bloody SW update when they are doing something critical like uploading images to their website. Apple employees need to do sabbaticals at slow internet locations and see what the real world is like.

• Like 1

a multiple-decade Nikon shooter; cameras from Nikon F to D2x, Nikonos I to RS, Nikkor lenses from 10.5 to 1200mm

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Fish_Shooter said:

Folks at Apple are spoiled by their fast internet. The last thing anyone with a slow internet connection wants is to have their bloody SW update when they are doing something critical like uploading images to their website. Apple employees need to do sabbaticals at slow internet locations and see what the real world is like.

Can't disagree with that! It's like they want to take all control away from the user. Very worrying. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • Administrators

Oh man, so over the past few days my Mac Mini 2018 has begun doing some really weird things. Random reboots, Finder just stops working, etc. I haven't installed any new software, just started using a USB mic (which shouldn't cause these issues) and bought a new HDD dock. Now I am wondering if upgrading to Big Sur might be a solution or if doing that will end up driving me over the already short edge? This is the only Mac I have that is able to run it, the other two are too old (2010 and 2012). 

Anybody been able to upgrade without having major problems? 

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.