iPhone SE Announced

Dallas

• Administrators

https://www.apple.com/iphone-se/

If we ever get our world moving again this is the iPhone I would choose to replace my iPhone 7 Plus. I have no tolerance for Apple's Face-ID system in iPhones (which I think is the dumbest thing they have ever done), so this device having not only the best chip they can put in it, but also a home button with finger print reader makes it a winner for me. The only thing I am disappointed about is the single camera at the back. I use the 2x telephoto on my 7P a lot.

Oh well, pipe dream anyway. Covid BS has destroyed our currency so I'm more likely to be using a cheap-ass Android phone if old faithful dies. 

I think this may be my next phone too.  I currently have the previous edition of the SE.  I just can't bring myself to spend much more than the price of this on a phone - I'd rather spend the money on camera gear!😀

• Like 1

• Administrators

One thing that has always impressed me with Apple devices is their longevity. I still have my old 5S which I keep charged up even though it doesn't have a sim card in it. I can use it for other things if it connects to my home network. The 7P is still in great shape and is rolling towards its 4th year of full time service. However, it is cumbersome and doesn't fit in a pocket as easily as a smaller device (like this new SE would). 

I've never been interested in watching video on my phone (that's what TV's are for, right?), so a smaller screen isn't a train smash - and I definitely have never felt slighted by the presence of bezels on the sides of the screen either. :) 

I’ve been using my SE since mid 2016.

Dallas, it is not compulsory to use FaceTime, be brave!

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z7 - Nikkor Z 14-30, 24-70, 35, 50, 85, FTZ adapter 

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Mike G said:

Dallas, it is not compulsory to use FaceTime, be brave!

I have no issue with Facetime, Mike. What I have an issue with is Apple's short-sightedness in implementing FaceID to unlock its devices since iPhoneX. Stupid idea and very impractical. I wonder how it works now in the midst of the pandemic when people are wearing masks? 

16 minutes ago, Dallas said:

I have no issue with Facetime, Mike. What I have an issue with is Apple's short-sightedness in implementing FaceID to unlock its devices since iPhoneX. Stupid idea and very impractical. I wonder how it works now in the midst of the pandemic when people are wearing masks? 

Something else you can turn off and not use if that s your want!

Mike Gorman

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

FaceID is a brilliant feature.  I upgraded my iPad in order to be able to have it.  Touch ID is clunky in comparison

But not every feature works for everyone.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mike G said:

Something else you can turn off and not use if that s your want!

But then you have to input a 6 digit security code to unlock your phone every time. How that can be considered efficient when all you have to do is hold a button for less than 1 second? 

FaceID at the exclusion of a fingerprint reader was a silly move in my opinion. They didn't think it through properly in their haste to make an (almost) all screen device. Damn bezel haters... ;) 

Mine has a 4 digit code! You can pick either!
Face iD actually works very well, I’ve tried to trick it with no success. 

Mike Gorman

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

• Administrators

Pretty soon we are all going to be required to wear face masks if we go outside. Face ID doesn’t work when you are wearing one. Fail. 

7 hours ago, Dallas said:

Pretty soon we are all going to be required to wear face masks if we go outside. Face ID doesn’t work when you are wearing one. Fail. 

And fingerprint ID does not work if you are wearing gloves. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Anthony said:

I see no point in wearing gloves - we don't have any mucous membranes on our hands and if our mouth is covered we aren't sticking fingers in them. Carry hand sanitiser and you can remove any contagion you might pick up when touching things in public (but if I am honest, I still think this whole thing is media induced and over-hyped hysteria, so when I am allowed out again I will probably not wear PPE if I don't have to). 

Everyone must, of course, make up their own mind regarding PPE. Hopefully it will be as fully informed a choice as is possible for the individual in their own particular circumstances. It is a two way thing. PPE not only helps to lessen the chance of the individual contracting the disease it also, importantly, helps to lessen the chance of spreading it. Particularly pertinent as many who have the disease are asymptomatic.

I welcomed face recognition on the iPhone as my finger and thumb 'prints' are very worn down and it was really difficult to get them recognised. I tend to keep an iPhone for 5 years before replacing and their computers for a good 10 years. If only I could last 10 years before buying another camera!!!

On 20/04/2020 at 21:33, Anthony said:

when I was skiing last year I used my nose to activate the phone camera to avoid taking my gloves off.  You don’t need to actually unlock the phone to get to the camera, a swipe is enough and then another tap to take the picture.

• Like 1

A bit like inadvertently refocusing with ones nose If you forget to turn off touch focusing. 😁

Mike Gorman

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

• Administrators
2 hours ago, patrick said:

many who have the disease are asymptomatic

Herein lies the entire crux of the matter. From what I am reading on both sides of the debate, it is impossible to tell with complete conviction whether somebody has the virus or not given the current means of testing being done by most health organisations around the world. Apparently they are merely testing for the presence of anti-bodies and jumping to the conclusion that if you have elevated presence of them, you must be infected with covid19. 

I also read that if you have had a flu shot in the past couple of years you will have anti-bodies present anyway which might cause you to be flagged as positive too. This is seriously problematic, especially given the media's fixation on the number of "positive" cases and deaths we are seeing and the effect this number has on general mental health in the current climate*. Conversely, if there are large numbers of infected, asymptomatic, untested people going about their lives blissfully unaware, then the mortality rates are completely inaccurate and this would also beg the question of whether there has been a major over-reaction to the contagion.

* I would be very interested in analysing the effect this has on people who are actually ill with CV. We already know the power of placebo in successfully treating illnesses, but here we are sending sick people into ICU with the complete opposite mindset - no treatment. With the number of hypochondriacs I know personally, it wouldn't surprise me at all if their own minds are more dangerous than the virus itself. 

(pardon the off topic here - if the thread goes too far off I will split it up and join those posts with the original CV post Vivion made, but since we're in a zone this may not be seen by all members)

21 hours ago, Mike G said:

A bit like inadvertently refocusing with ones nose If you forget to turn off touch focusing. 😁

I’m wondering why you need your phone so close to your nose, but then realised you are probably talking about a camera with a touch screen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, crowecg said:

I’m wondering why you need your phone so close to your nose, but then realised you are probably talking about a camera with a touch screen.

Indeed Chris, on a Z6/7 touch controls are very easy to control! And In fact it is so easy to use your nose to actually take the photo, even when you don’t want to! But the Z6/7 touch control is very simple to control! if you remember to actually control it. 😊

Mike Gorman

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mike G said:

Indeed Chris, on a Z6/7 touch controls are very easy to control! And In fact it is so easy to use your nose to actually take the photo, even when you don’t want to! But the Z6/7 touch control is very simple to control! if you remember to actually control it. 😊

I'm sure you should be able to configure this to not happen, Mike.

Some Olympus models have the ability to use a thumb on the rear screen to select a focus point while using the EVF. When I had the E-M1X on last year's safari I was also inadvertently changing focus point whenever my nose touched the LCD screen (left eye dominant), but it was easy to turn off. Pretty sure Nikon will have a similar over-ride somewhere in the menu. 

• Like 1

Dallas, they do, if you read my post that’s exactly what I said!

Having said that with the Olympus style control, I don’t see why you would want to use touch control with the camera to your eye, with the Z6/Z7 one would use the joystick, much more sensible, in fact on my Z6 there are two methods to move the cursor around the screen! 

Funnily now I can’t remember how the Panasonic control worked? (How quickly we forget!)

I expect that no system is perfect and they will all operate in a slightly different way, each with its own quirks. Such is life!

Am I correct in thinking that the Olympus 43s cameras do not have joysticks?

Mike Gorman

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

On 20/04/2020 at 03:56, Dallas said:

FaceID at the exclusion of a fingerprint reader was a silly move in my opinion. They didn't think it through properly in their haste to make an (almost) all screen device. Damn bezel haters... ;) 

Looks like you are not the only one.  They are selling pretty fast and available delivery dates are pushing out (although supplies may be a little restricted).

• Like 1

• Administrators

Unfortunately it will take some kind of miracle for me to get any new devices this year, considering we are effectively living in a police state with an out of control government right now. Things are really getting ludicrous here and I am half hoping that there will be a revolution of civil disobedience in the face of what our government is doing to us. Totalitarianism is but an announcement or two away.