Black and White and all that...

Alan7140

• Contributor

I love using the Merrills, but they area bit limited (lens choice, ISO, no viewfinder, and probably the worst choice of software for any camera), but taken under controlled lighting circumstances the Merrill prints up to 18" x 24" I get in B&W easily match or better anything I ever did on 5" x 4" film in the decades before 2008. When that is the end use it doesn't matter that low ISO has to be used - the subject matter is usually stationary and I treat the setting up just as I would a 5x4 shot.

Unfortunately for the Merrill the quality of the print is impossible to show on the Internet, so a lot of people are missing out on the benefits of these little cameras, but I'm happy using mine all the same! :)

• 5 years later...
  • Contributor

2020....And how things change...

Re-reading my article brought back memories of how the magnificent tonal gradation and resolution of the Sigma DP series cameras with their Foveon sensors was a revelation compared to previous results of converting cameras with Bayer sensors to B&W of the typical 12-24 MP resolution at the time. I was convinced that this was my way into a future of using B&W as my main form of expression in photography, but never foresaw what Sigma themselves had in mind for the future.

I had assumed that a proper interchangeable-lens mirrorless system camera system would follow with a more developed Foveon sensor of higher resolution or larger physical size (or both). I never foresaw that Sigma would in fact back-pedal with the following sd Quattro sensor to the degree they did.

Apparently the volume of data transfer required, along with accompanying battery drain and heat build-up were beyond their ability to control, so what is effectively a hybrid sensor resulted, still with the Foveon three layer sensel layout, but with the two lower layers responsible for capturing the green and red colour components of the spectrum had sensels four times the size of the upper-most layer which remained responsible for the blue and overall luminance information, which in turn meant that interpolation (as in Bayer sensors) reared its ugly head again.

I bought an sd Quattro H camera with the intent of using it with vintage lenses as it is easily adaptable to M42 lenses with a simple adapter ring, but the hoped for continuation of the revelations that the DP Foveon cameras had brought to digital B&W reproduction failed to materialise.

So.... as can be seen from my later posts, I have now both retired from a working life in photography (which means I have more time on my hands) and returned to using film cameras of various ages, centred around a comprehensive Pentacon Six outfit along with both Olympus OM-1 and Minolta SRT-101 outfits to cover 35mm and 120 formats, and late 19th and early 20th Century field and studio cameras for large formats.

I am still using the sd Quattro-H as the intermediate step in digitising the resulting negatives for inkjet prints, but eventually I'll probably be printing larger prints the old way again since my Epson  7800 expired after 12 years of hard use and I couldn't justify a new A1 printer without a commercial workload to make it viable, so I bought an A2 Epson P-800 printer which effectively confines me to a print size of 16.5" on the short dimension, and which is plenty for almost any print needs I can foresee with me now having re-entered "hobby photographer" status after 48 years of being fully involved at a professional level.

So, yes, this is a retraction of my final conclusion of the initial article's conclusions, and my darkroom is now actively humming away with the smell of stop bath and fixer permeating the air once more. :) 

• Like 3

• Similar Content

• crowecg
      By crowecg
      Film 1 

I think there is something more to the description than the obvious view.  I dragged my old film camera out of the back of the cupboard and stuck a new set of batteries in it and found an old roll of film and gave it a go.  Perhaps some of the quality (or lack of it) is because the film was a cheap film anyway and has sat on my shelf unused for around 15 years.

I did find one problem, 

film 2 

the film didn't always wind on.  The effect here isn't too bad - somehow the various frames seem to line up.  

At this stage, I'm still unsure whether to try another roll (perhaps a fresh one), but I did notice after removing the film, that there seemed to be something snagging in the film canister, so it may be the fault of the film rather than the camera.  Strangely, when the film did wind, it wound exactly the right distance, the frames were all correctly positioned and when it didn't wind it stayed positioned exactly on the same frame, no partial frames.  Part of the reason for this was to decide what I'm going to trade in and what to keep - I probably won't get anything for the camera, but I might get something for the lens.  However, after paying for the batteries, film and developing, I could well end up spending more than I would have got for the lens, just to help with the decision about whether to keep it or not.

Film Comparison

And for comparison, a digital shot of the same scene (my son came for the walk with me and we kept swapping cameras and lenses, so I can't remember which of us had the film and which digital at this point).  This also illustrates why I hung on to Nikon gear for so long - I'd originally picked Nikon as a brand because I could have a compatible set up for either manual or AF shooting (although I never did get round to getting a fully manual camera) and later for film and digital (although again, once I'd moved to dSLR, whilst I could continue to use the same lenses, I completely stopped shooting film).
    • Dallas
      By Dallas
      This past week I have been working on a variety of projects for Ford South Africa again. Monday's shoot was all about a local guy and his amazingly well restored '73 Ford Capri. This is my favourite shot from all the shoots I have done for Ford in the past year and it wasn't easy to get, I'll tell you that much!

Here I'm sitting in the back of a car being driven by our content producer, pointing the camera out the window, using f/18 (yes, on a mirrorless m4/3 camera) with a shutter speed of 1/18 second, trying to get the right framing and all while trying to communicate to the driver of the Capri what speed to go at as well as communicating the same with the producer. After several runs on both sides of a short public road outside the Durban airport I got this one which I am happy to share with you all. 

I've converted it to B&W because while my iMac is in for repairs I am forced to edit on the dodgy Dell monitor that has been the subject of an article here on FZ (also why I am using an old method of putting my copyright on). I think the conversion looks good. Thoughts? 

• Luc de Schepper
      By Luc de Schepper
      Olympus E-M10II + Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 + Nik Silver Efex

• Luc de Schepper
      By Luc de Schepper
      Nikon D5500 + kit lens 18-55mm + Nik Silver Efex

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.