Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ir processing'.
Found 2 results
I'm in Florida visiting relatives. I was told the weather was beautiful and it's been a while since I worked in IR so I thought I would break out my converted D70s and take some shots. The weather has been gray and windy but I was determined. I have included below the original image as it came out of my camera and my processed one. I'm interested in feedback in general since I can easily get back to this location to keep trying to improve it. And, it is actually sunny today but very, very windy. 1) Focus point - I was using manual focus. I tried a number of focus points but the one that seemed to have worked is making sure the palm trees against the sky seemed sharp. It's really hard to focus with my D70s. I tried focusing at the top of the stairs or even a little into the grass (about 1/3rd into the image like I would for a landscape shot) but that didn't get the trees sharp. I wanted to focus on the nearest part of the large clump of trees but it was too hard to see in my viewfinder. Where would you suggest I focus on this for IR? 2) Exposure -- I had to slightly underexpose; the histogram was on the left 2/3rds of the distribution. It was really windy. I didn't think the IR would do well above 200 ISO. I was at f8 and 1/500. I even felt that I could have needed a faster shutter but f8 seemed the minimum DOF I needed. What do you think about the tradeoff? Would you have pushed your ISO and figured you could get rid of noise later in post processing? In short, did I make the right choice? I thought of underexposing further by increasing my shutter speed or going to f11 and counting on my RAW file to be able to be corrected in Lightroom enough. I essentially did that but not to an extreme. Would that have made sense with IR? (I sometimes do that with visible light images.) 3) Post processing - I pulled the RAW files into Lightroom and didn't alter them (they have some minimal Camera Neutral calibration and some sharpening by default). I then edited in CS6. I'm not exceptional that CS6. I probably haven't used it in 8 months. I swapped the red and blue channel, used auto tone and auto contrast. Then, I used two hue/saturation adjustments. One was a global one to desaturate red and yellow and green. Then, one on the blue and cyan to work the sky. I then went back to Lightroom and fixed the angle/crop slightly. Is that too much processing? I wish I could do it all in one shot and I wasn't sure if the starting sharpening in LR made sense to export as a starting point in CS6. Lens was 17-35mm Nikkor at 22mm. I didn't correct for the lens. I was shooting handheld but I did bring a tripod. I'm just wondering what other folks would do here and if I can go again, what I should try to improve on this in any way. I have attached two files. One is the original RAW file in JPG 100%, 72dpi output and the other is the processed one same way. Thanks for looking, Deena
Trying to experiment with false color and IR in general. The colors feel like a real challenge to get something "tasteful". In the bush on the beach shot, I tried making the leaves white but then the shells on the bush were not discernible.