Do Not Mess With Elephants

• Administrators

I am not sure if this will embed here, but if you are on Facebook, click the link and check out this video. You definitely do not want to take on an elephant, no matter how big your vehicle is. 

https://www.facebook.com/reel/414366161184664

• Grimmace 1

I was always fascinated by the elephants when I visited Namibia many years ago.  They are amazing animals.  

remember getting up one morning and finding elephant footprints just metres from my tent.  

From what I learnt, the elephant in your video is only annoyed but not yet fully angry.  He is still flapping his ears in warning.  A real angry charge has the ears folded back and he would really damage that truck.

• Administrators

Those passengers in there must have crapped themselves. Proper. 

On the first ever safari I did in 2009 we were on a smaller vehicle in Mkhuze game reserve when this rogue elephant in musth chased us backwards for a good couple hundred meters. The following year in Sabi Sabi one of our rangers parked us right in the middle of a big herd and thought we would enjoy it. I gave her a serious earful and she got us out of there as she could see I wasn't amused at all. 

• Like 1

Actually the time we ended up in the middle of the group of juveniles and protective parents was scarier back before that trip.

Graham

• Administrators
7 hours ago, GrahamWelland said:

Actually the time we ended up in the middle of the group of juveniles and protective parents was scarier back before that trip. Ending up in the middle of the group of juveniles and protective parents was scarier before that trip.

Yes, that was Rika, crazy lady. However, the Kruger elephants are much more relaxed than those found in smaller reserves like Mkhuze so she probably felt it was safe enough. I am not sure where the footage posted above is from, likely one of the smaller private places somewhere in SA. 

I once did a weekend safari for Olympus when I was an ambassador and we went to Nambiti Private Game Reserve which is a few hours inland from me. The ranger we had on that one was very wary of the buffalo, more so than any elephants in the reserve. He said that an aggressive bull can be just as dangerous as an elephant. I took him at his word. 🙂 

• Applaud 1

On 20/03/2024 at 04:17, Dallas said:

Those passengers in there must have crapped themselves. Proper. 

On the first ever safari I did in 2009 we were on a smaller vehicle in Mkhuze game reserve when this rogue elephant in musth chased us backwards for a good couple hundred meters. The following year in Sabi Sabi one of our rangers parked us right in the middle of a big herd and thought we would enjoy it. I gave her a serious earful and she got us out of there as she could see I wasn't amused at all. 

Was that Rikka and the herd?

Graham

• Administrators
1 minute ago, GrahamWelland said:

Was that Rikka and the herd?

Yes. I will see if I can dig up some photos from that encounter. 

1 minute ago, Dallas said:

Yes. I will see if I can dig up some photos from that encounter. 

That was quite the experience, with elephants approaching us from every side! 

Graham