Night Market

Dallas

• Administrators

There's a monthly night market just around the corner from where we live, so we have taken ourselves off to stroll amongst the stalls the last few times it has happened. It was swelteringly hot and humid - probably about 32˚C with 80% humidity. I took the little X100 Alan gave me with and I missed more shots because I was too slow to get my finger on the trigger than I would have liked, but... I was out with a camera for some fun shots (for a change). 

DSCF9531.jpg

There were about 150 stalls at this market, all sorts of goods on sale. 

DSCF9527.jpg

This guy was trying to peddle my wife a dress.

DSCF9532.jpg

The food stalls are always the busiest. 

DSCF9533.jpg

Candy Floss (or cotton candy as it's called elsewhere). 

DSCF9537.jpg

Flame grilled! The guy running the grill here must have teflon skin - it was seriously hot next to those braais (BBQ's), and he was wearing long pants. 

DSCF9525.jpg

Then I ran into my friend Yaseen who I taught photography many years ago. he has moved back to Durban and was selling books at the market. He's a very talented photographer. 

DSCF9534.jpg

Missed focus here and missed her pouring the lemonade, which would have been a nice shot. 

• Like 3

Nice set.  It is also called Candy Floss in both OZ and NZ.  That humidity must be a killer.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Nice series of shots, I can actually see the humidity in these shots (definitely not my scene - I'd suffocate 😉). Fuji certainly does have a way with colour, too, even though the camera is over 11 years old and uses a sensor technology that is different from nearly all the camera models they have come up with since then.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The weather has been murderous here for the past 2 weeks. Impossible to get a good night’s sleep - it was 29˚C in my bedroom 2 nights ago. We have aircon, but… those rely on a steady flow of electricity to function. At this time we’re losing power for up to 4 hours a day in Durban, thanks to load shedding. The rest of the country goes off for up to 12 hours a day depending on the level announced. The reason ours is less is because of the floods last year. The city still hasn’t recovered large parts of the metro infrastructure. 

Its getting really bad here now. :( 

• Contributor
On 23/01/2023 at 15:45, Dallas said:

Its getting really bad here now. :( 

That's so sad to read, particularly given that I was born and spent my first and formative 11 years in SA. 😞 

• Administrators

We haven’t had electricity for 28 hours now. Went off yesterday at 11am and still not restored for the complex I live in. And it is 35C outside right now. I didn’t sleep a wink last night. Running on fumes right now.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Dallas said:

We haven’t had electricity for 28 hours now. Went off yesterday at 11am and still not restored for the complex I live in. And it is 35C outside right now. I didn’t sleep a wink last night. Running on fumes right now.

Ouch!  Commiserations.  Hope that things improve for you folks in SA. 

Our privatised electricity networks were not looking too flash either until the Australian federal (or is it feral?) government stepped in last year and read the riot act to the big electricity generators and sellers.  The price of gas and coal here have skyrocketed due to the war in Ukraine and the generators claimed that they were loosing money on making electricity and some (not all) were seeking outages.  Whilst our energy costs are not as bad as say the UK and parts of Europe, the annual price increases are never-the-less severe enough.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks Hugh. We finally had restoration of power this morning, so a total of almost 48 hours without. I can say with certainty that this tested the limits of my resilience, mainly because of the sheer incompetence of the local municipality to correctly assess the situation and report on it. At least 2 hours on the phone just from me alone, about 7 or 8 different fault reference numbers and countless WhatsApp messages from most of the residents of the complex just to finally get somebody to deal with the problem. 

A lot of South Africans are now totally fed up with the electricity situation here and are going solar. There are a few companies who are taking the bull by the horns and offering installation of a system for your house whereby you only pay a fixed monthly rental of the equipment (panels, inverter & battery) based on your requirements. They don't charge you for the amount of power you use at all. In my case I think the monthly rental will be slightly less than what I pay in pre-paid tokens for about 25kWh (our daily average consumption). The good thing about these systems is that you still stay connected to the grid when you need more power, but while you are using your own power you don't have to pay for theirs. :) Sounds like a win to me. Need to convince the landlord to have it installed. 

Yes, solar with battery storage is increasingly common in Australia, with around 20% of houses having solar in some form or other.

• Like 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Yes, solar with battery storage is increasingly common in Australia, with around 20% of houses having solar in some form or other.

Definitely the way forward for most of us, especially in sunny countries. 

My neighbour has it installed and it powers his whole house, except the electric stove and geyser (water heater for the Americans). During the day the panels power the house and excess energy is stored in the batteries for use at night, or for resale into the grid where permitted. 

• Like 1

There is NO NEED to suffer without electricity!

I built my own solar system.   Learned what I needed by watching YouTube free videos (dozens and dozens of them), and the total cost was under $2,000 for my little 4 solar panel set up.   It does not power my more power hungry appliances, but it does power less power hungry gear and it certainly makes power outages less uncomfortable.

If your electrical blackouts are temporary/intermitant and no more than 3 or 4 days in duration,  you can get by with a couple 12V DC AGM batteries, a battery charger, and an inverter.   With these three things, all you have to do is every few weeks top off your batteries when you do have access to electric power.   The batteries and inverter will power all but your most power hungry appliances.   Might handle a small air conditioner, but even if it does not, it can easily handle electric fans.

An even cheaper alternative is just one 12V DC battery, a battery charger, and DC appliances that run directly off the DC battery (without an intermediary inverter).   I buy my inexpensive DC lights, DC fans, and little DC refridgerators from Amazon.com

Edited by blurmagic
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks Dave. Yes, many South Africans are now tuning into alternative sources of energy. We have no choice, really. 

• Like 1