A New Beginning In 2022

Dallas

• Administrators

If you received my newsletter a few days ago you will have read that I intend to move Fotozones back onto a dedicated server in the coming months. I am considering using a server provided by the Hetzner group in Germany, but before I go to the expense and trouble of making this move, I'd like to gauge member feedback of how your latency to German servers might be? Obviously if you are in mainland Europe or the UK this is going to be good news for you, but as a large number of our members are in the antipodes and North & South America, please would you click on that Hetzner link above and let me know if you have any issues browsing their website? 

So why am I doing this? Well, for starters it's my understanding that latency to the data centre in Johannesburg is not great for most people around the world. I think that this has to do with the undersea cables that manage the data haul between ourselves and the rest of the world. Our traffic has to go through Europe before it gets here, so if you're browsing in Australia you're likely using an undersea cable to get to EU and then again to Africa. Probably takes an inordinate amount of time. 

The other reason is that I am expanding my website design and hosting business internationally and I will need resources that are better suited to these customers. It makes a lot of sense to do this in Germany as Hetzner will bill me in ZAR (fixed), so I am going to probably go for it. 

Thoughts? 

• Supporter

It did not open for me.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

• Supporter

The link did not open for me either.  I googled "hetzner" and clicked on the first return (https://www.hetzner.com/) and it opened immediately; no delay.

Peter

• Like 1

• Contributor

Link opened for me and loaded very quickly. 

See my content here:

http://www.visualohio.com | BESTLIGHTPHOTO BLOG | Flickr 

I shoot Nikon, Olympus, and Fujifilm

• Supporter

Now it opened and loaded quickly.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

• Administrators

Thank you all - this is encouraging feedback. 

I will in all likelihood begin the process in mid-January but will keep everyone well informed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporter
On 26/11/2021 at 18:50, blurmagic said:

The link opened much faster than the current server you are using.   maybe 4 or 5 times faster.

Dave in Wisconsin USA

I agree with Dave. I’m also in the USA and the linked site is faster than the current site. That said, the current site is fast enough.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I was hoping to bring the migration forward into December as I have landed a nice paying job for a catalog I am shooting, but unfortunately getting the products into my hands is proving difficult as everybody is shutting down for the holidays and the company I am doing the work for are closing on 23 December, so I won’t get another payment from them until January. :( 

That said I am really looking forward to reinvigorating the Fotozones community when this project is done. I will be able to do a lot more for the members than is currently the case. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

OK folks, the new server has been ordered and as soon as I have the go ahead to begin migration I will be closing the website and beginning. 

As this is a fairly large site I expect that it may take a day or two before I can get everything on the other side working properly. I expect that there might be some PHP version and module issues that may need to be ironed out for Invision to work properly, but we'll see. :) 

Expect an email from Fotozones once everything is up and running.