Playing with light

crowecg

Following on from the pictures posted in Dallas' topic 'Hello Clarice', I've been having a bit more play with lighting setups using my work light.  This time, I was trying balancing with the on camera flash, with the work light about 90 degrees to the side and the flash set to manual.  With both light sources about the same distance away, I was finding that I needed to wind the flash back to about 1/8  to get relatively even lighting.  

Me10

This example dropped back to 1/16.  This surprised me a bit as the big 20W LED work light feels bright, but the little pop-up style flash (Shoe-mount flash unit EF-X8) could easily over power it.  

I guess I've still got lots to learn about lighting.  However, off camera and multiple lights certainly adds depth to the image that isn't there with just the on camera flash.

Also had another go at a high contrast side lit image.

51572257615_bf6737474a_k.jpg

Me9 

Also discovered another limitation of using a cheap work light rather than a proper photo light - flicker!  Hadn't noticed it shooting these portrait type shots which were at around 1/60s, but was visible even in the view finder if I tried pushing the shutter speed up closer to 1/125s.

• Like 2

• Administrators

One of the most important things to learn about lighting is the inverse square law. This will give you the greatest basis on understanding how light works and how photographers can use that knowledge to overcome challenges and also to become creative with it. 

Keep experimenting, Chris! Once you get the ideas cemented your creativity will know no bounds. 

I can highly recommend joining Karl Taylor Education, even if just for one month (@ $19). You'll get access to all his tutorials and that guy certainly knows his lighting. The link I added is to his free course. 

I’ll have a look at that, thanks.  

I don’t find the inverse square law too daunting - the challenge for me is dealing with the mix of lights, which all seem to be rated by different methods.  And that is before getting into issues like reflectors and soft boxes.