New Home Page

Dallas

• Administrators

Greetings all members! 

So as you may have noticed I have changed the home page to show the forum index, which since the last software update now allows me to select a photograph to show instead of a boring old text grid. The photos I have on at the moment are all free stock images, but I am thinking that for the photo sharing section I might re-introduce a kind of POTW honour thing and start using our own members pics as the image for the forum sub-category. What do you guys think? 

Also, I am open to any ideas on how to enhance the community further and get us back to where we were a few years ago. In those days lots of our traffic was gear driven, which is less the case now, but I am sure that if members want to discuss more gear stuff that section can be embellished to cater for it. 

Top half is quite good.  For the bottom half, the niche zones with the full width banners, there doesn’t seem to be any separation between the banner and the previous topic.

As I check in regular, I find hiding the “recent posts” at the bottom a little bit frustrating.  I would  like to see them nearer the top, perhaps as a side bar - say 40-40-20 for your two columns of index then the recent post.

this is based on viewing on an iPad.  I’ll probably not get round to booting up and looking on a big screen.

Just realised I hadn’t logged out my work computer, it does look really good on a big screen.

one other thought, should there be some credit to the original author of a thread and differentiation from the last commenter.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. 

They have made some truly daft changes to the software in the most recent update, the worst of which is no longer putting the unread topics in bold in the feed blocks that I created. The explanation is that the blocks are cached and therefore it doesn't make sense to have the bold type, but I say that is pure BS as there previously was an option in the block settings to specify the amount of time it was cached for. I had it set to 1 minute, so even if you finished looking at a topic and went back to the home page it would most likely have updated anyway. Plonkers. 

The Niches I unfortunately can't do much about. I am going to try and find a way of moving them back to regular forums. I know it can be done, just can't remember how to do it. 🙄

• Administrators

I remembered where to convert Niches into forums, so I have converted a number of them back to regular forums. I do hope that this more "regular" approach will be received well by the community and I look forward to seeing more posts being made. 

I am still undecided on what to do with the remaining Niches. I will probably leave them there for now, but I might re-incorporate them to the main forum too. Open to going with overall consensus on this. 

On 01/09/2021 at 15:41, Dallas said:

Also, I am open to any ideas on how to enhance the community further and get us back to where we were a few years ago. In those days lots of our traffic was gear driven, which is less the case now, but I am sure that if members want to discuss more gear stuff that section can be embellished to cater for it. 

Problem with the gear focus is that you need someone who can easily access the latest gear and is also willing to dash out and obtain it.  Southern Hemisphere markets seem to lag behind those in the north and then there are a lot of us who have reached the point where we are satisfied with our current gear and don’t see the need to upgrade so quickly.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Yes, Chris. This is my dilemma. It's impossible to get my hands on new gear these days and even when I did that 2 year stint as an Olympus ambassador they didn't always send me the latest stuff to review. Most of the stuff I had to purchase myself and then when I did get items to write about, it was usually 3-6 months late to the party. I'm also in a place now where I am pretty well satisfied with my equipment, as meagre as it is these days. The itch to get the Nikon Z50 was just that, an itch, but in the end common sense won out. I am thinking about making more videos about photography in general, perhaps talking some about the gear I do use, why I use it and what gear I am considering getting down the line. Whether this wins an audience is unknown, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

As my safari business is being held to ransom indefinitely I have been making good inroads into relaunching my professional photography career and I want to head more into higher end commercial work, especially product photography. As such I will require new gear that others might find interesting for me to write / talk about. The worry is I don't want FZ to become a community rooted in professional photography. There are enough of those around with the multiple behemoth egos to go with them. I'd like it to remain an enthusiast / hobby photographer's place to hang out, share images and hopefully by next year become a place where the travel element is revived. I'm still very much looking to do international, small group photography trips, specifically for landscapes, some wildlife and any other interesting places we can find. I have reconnected with a childhood friend who now lives in New Zealand and is a cracking good photographer, as well as an outdoorsman. I can see landscape workshops happening there in the hopefully not too distant future, as well as in South and North America. 

New Zealand has some fantastic landscapes, although I have only had one small visit there.  I am definitely thinking of another visit once travel properly resumes.  Tasmania (near Alan’s place) is high on the list too.

Only thing about running an international trip to them is that they are just so far from anywhere.  I still remember when I first moved to Melbourne and we were flying down from Hong Kong.  There was some excitement about crossing the Australian coast, but then the reality of being only half way through a 10 hour flight.  Tas & NZ would both probably involve a stop over in Melbourne or Sydney and then another couple of hours of travel.

• Like 1