Winter has arrived

• Contributor
Alan7140

After an uncharacteristically warm autumn, winter has finally set in here.

Midday view looking towards Bushy Park from Kinvarra Estate, Southern Tasmania.

lJVQX8d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan7140

• Dallas

• Markus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After an uncharacteristically warm autumn, winter has finally set in here.   Midday view looking towards Bushy Park from Kinvarra Estate, Southern Tasmania.

The tonalities are absolutely beautiful! Congrats!!!!

• Administrators
Dallas

That’s a beautiful photograph, Alan. 

We had a cold snap at the beginning of June and there was some snow in the Drakensberg, but since then it’s been very mild here, most days peaking at about 24˚C. However, they are predicting a cold front to hit us in the next week or so that will apparently bring snow to all provinces. Not looking forward to that, because along with it comes the dreaded “load shedding” (rolling blackouts) courtesy of the inept government…

• Contributor
Alan7140
5 hours ago, Dallas said:

That’s a beautiful photograph, Alan. 

We had a cold snap at the beginning of June and there was some snow in the Drakensberg, but since then it’s been very mild here, most days peaking at about 24˚C. However, they are predicting a cold front to hit us in the next week or so that will apparently bring snow to all provinces. Not looking forward to that, because along with it comes the dreaded “load shedding” (rolling blackouts) courtesy of the inept government…

Thanks, Dallas.

24°C = Luxury! Today it struggled from 1.1°C at 9:00 a.m to spend a few hours in the very early teens in the early afternoon, but now it's 7°C and falling rather rapidly. That's been the pattern for a couple of weeks now, with a few days not managing to struggle beyond +4°C at all. All the same, this is still a lot warmer than it was when I first arrived here in 1995 - that winter had us in a daily bracket of around -6°C to +1°C for six days straight in one continuous snap during which the fog didn't lift at all. I know this seems pretty mild to northern Europeans, but here that's not something that either the houses or people cope with at all well. I lost running water on day 2 due to frozen pipes and had to bucket water up from the Derwent River some 200 metres away.

• Administrators
Dallas

That's the problem with us Durbanites when it gets below 18˚C - we are not prepared for it. My house has a void underneath it for supposed ventilation in the hot, humid summers (doesn't work very well), so in winter my office temp drops to about 14˚C which isn't very comfortable at all. I have a little space heater that doesn't work that well and now that my wife is also working from home most days that minor source of comfort has been "seconded" to her office! :D 

Markus

The tonalities are absolutely beautiful! Congrats!!!!

• Like 1
  • Contributor
Alan7140

Thanks, Markus.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.