Hello Clarice

Dallas

• Administrators

I updated a lot of the apps on my iPad yesterday, including Lightroom and in the process discovered a batch of self portraits I had taken to use on some of my other websites living on my Adobe Cloud. I don’t really use that service at all as I have Google Workspace but seeing as they were available while I had Lightroom open I thought I would mess around with one of them. 

Here’s my best Hannibal Lecter impersonation. I don’t recall the exact filters I applied in Lr to get this, but it certainly is creepy enough! LOL

F8758E1E-5200-40E4-A2F4-09AF6B542528.jpeg

• Like 4

• Supporter
17 minutes ago, Andrew L (gryphon1911) said:

I like it!

2x

• Like 1

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

Look what you made me do!

me

I’ve been wanting to get beyond my normal habit of ‘available light’ or on camera flash for a while.  For some recent home decorating, I’d bought a cheap led work light, so I pressed that into service and had a quick go at some selfie’s. I was controlling the camera using the live view mode of the Fuji app on my iPad.  

So thanks for getting me started with this new stage of learning.  I might well be making another trip to the hardware store for some more lights (I realise they are not as carefully colour controlled as proper photo lights, but they are way cheaper).

• Like 2

• Administrators

Great to see you, Chris! 

Learning lighting is one of the most rewarding journeys in photography, in my opinion. Once you understand it, it opens up so many creative possibilities. For many years (and for this portrait above) I used manual flash, but in recent times I have started using continuous video lights to do all my product photography and to be honest, I think the work is now not only easier, but the results are better. A large part of that is down to the fact that I can now almost completely black out my studio as a client who owed me money made me some seriously heavy curtains as part compensation (thanks lockdowns).

If you’re going to buy lights from hardware stores, try to get ones that are rated 5500K, or as close to it as possible. Sometimes they refer to this temperature as “daylight”. Ideally if you can find the budget have a look into the Godox SL60W video light, together with one of their softboxes. Shouldn’t break the bank and what’s nice about them is they come with a remote control. 

Looking forward to seeing what else you get up to. :) 

• Like 1

I did have another one that came out ok.

me 1

For this one I’d moved the work light further back and exposed more for the ambient light.  I had to swap it to black and white as the different white balances of the two light sources was very obvious and distracting.  

multiple lights definitely make portraits more interesting. 

I just need more subjects to practice my lighting on.

• Like 2

• Administrators

If you have Lightroom there's a little trick I sometimes use when there is disparate lighting colours. Click on the adjustment brush (on a raw file) and brush over the area that you want to change the temperature of. Then just fiddle with the colour temp slider and only that part of the image will change.