Blood Moon

crowecg

Lunar eclipse across Australia tonight and the sky stayed clear!

51204451958_8fca6a703f_o.jpg

moon 

Probably should have used electronic shutter as there was still a little bit of shake in the star trails.

• Like 2
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crowecg

• atpaula

• Dallas

• Anthony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lunar eclipse across Australia tonight and the sky stayed clear!   moon    Probably should have used electronic shutter as there was still a little bit of shake in the star t

Got a clear sky this afternoon, so tried a moonshot around sunset.  The sun was only just dropping below the horizon when I took this and I still had to lift the shadows to get the tree silhouette tha

Missed the lunar eclipse here due to heavy cloud all night, but talking of moon shots, I came across this one I took back around 1998 when I was in the west Tasmanian mining town of Queenstown on a jo

• Subscriber
atpaula

Very nice!

I could not see it here.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

• Administrators
Dallas

I gave up trying to shoot the moon long ago. It's probably the most difficult subject I have ever tried to shoot and I just couldn't get it right. But good job, Chris (way better than my efforts!). 

crowecg
8 hours ago, Dallas said:

I gave up trying to shoot the moon long ago. It's probably the most difficult subject I have ever tried to shoot and I just couldn't get it right. But good job, Chris (way better than my efforts!). 

A regular, plain moon isn’t too hard, but trying to make it more interesting than just a moon in a black sky is the hard part.  Exposure is usually pretty close to “sunny 16” so you can get away with handheld at times.  

The blood moon is just several stops darker, and remembering to set daylight white balance so the camera doesn’t try to spoil the colour.  This was shot at 200 mm on aps-c and most cameras these days have enough pixels to crop it down and retain some detail.  

Anthony

Great (moon)shot!

crowecg
2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Great (moon)shot!

Thanks, I was lucky - when I opened the curtains in the morning, it was grey and cloudy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor
Alan7140
Posted (edited)

Missed the lunar eclipse here due to heavy cloud all night, but talking of moon shots, I came across this one I took back around 1998 when I was in the west Tasmanian mining town of Queenstown on a job, where the pollution excesses of industrial mining in the late 19th & early 20th Centuries poisoned the landscape to the point that virtually nothing grows on the surrounding hills any longer. Often described as "the Moonscape of Queenstown", the real moon obliged me by being in the right place in broad daylight to underscore that title.

e5EuY1f.jpg

(Hasselblad 500EL/M, 250mm f5.6 Carl Zeiss lens, Ilford 100 Delta Pro).

Edited by Alan7140
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
crowecg
On 06/06/2021 at 18:05, Alan7140 said:

Missed the lunar eclipse here due to heavy cloud all night, but talking of moon shots, I came across this one I took back around 1998 when I was in the west Tasmanian mining town of Queenstown on a job, where the pollution excesses of industrial mining in the late 19th & early 20th Centuries poisoned the landscape to the point that virtually nothing grows on the surrounding hills any longer. Often described as "the Moonscape of Queenstown", the real moon obliged me by being in the right place in broad daylight to underscore that title.

I think your daylight moon makes it obvious that many of the moonshots that get attention in the media are composites or HDR.  I tried several times to get even a silhouette of the trees in my back yard to frame the moon, but even with the garden lights and using the camera flash, I couldn't get enough light to seperate them from the blackness of the sky.  The other thing I noticed was it wasn't until the moon fully eclipsed that stars started to appear in the image.  I'll have to watch for a time when the moon is out around sunset, see what I that looks like.

Hugh_3170

When the moon has been eclipsed by the earth and becomes red and dark, the exposures become much longer than for the "Sunny f/16" exposures for an un-eclipsed moon.  Even with a good steady tripod, a small  amount of star trail movement is to be expected.  In a perfect scenario one should attach the camera and lens to a tracking Alt/Azimuth mount that tracks with the stars.  Chris, my shots of the eclipse show similar star trail movements to yours - and yes I was working on a standard tripod - with no tracker.

On 16/06/2021 at 22:45, crowecg said:

I think your daylight moon makes it obvious that many of the moonshots that get attention in the media are composites or HDR.  I tried several times to get even a silhouette of the trees in my back yard to frame the moon, but even with the garden lights and using the camera flash, I couldn't get enough light to seperate them from the blackness of the sky.  The other thing I noticed was it wasn't until the moon fully eclipsed that stars started to appear in the image.  I'll have to watch for a time when the moon is out around sunset, see what I that looks like.

Got a clear sky this afternoon, so tried a moonshot around sunset.  The sun was only just dropping below the horizon when I took this and I still had to lift the shadows to get the tree silhouette that I have been trying for.  It certainly wasn't getting dark yet.

51256901698_390d434095_o.jpg

Moon 1 

I guess this is proof that the blood moon against some sort of scene can't be a single shot as the sun, moon and earth can't be lined up for a lunar eclipse if the sun and moon are both in the sky.

• Like 2