And The Best Camera Is...

• Administrators
Dallas

21 years ago, around this time of the year, I bought myself a Nikon SLR camera. It was my first serious camera. Little did I know how that one little purchase would impact my life. Photography consumed me thereafter. Completely. The person I was in early 2000 simply disappeared under waves of camera after camera, lens after lens. I was always chasing a zenith, somewhere over the rainbow. I spent money I shouldn't have spent on things that did nothing to improve my ability to make images that I would want to look at over and over again. My obsession drove me to financial ruin. But it also drove me to a deeper understanding and the building of an online community that has endured for 15 years this coming July. Without this community none of it would have been worth it, but I can say, with humility these days that I don't think I would have changed a thing. The corporate world was never where I belonged anyway. 

And so to the point of this post. How about this image? This is taken on a 2017 iPhone 7Plus. Slight editing in the phone and horizon correction in Pshop. I wonder if I would have been chasing the zenith if I had been able to get images like this from my cellphone in Y2K? 

IMG_3254.jpg

• Like 3
  • Applaud 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielm

• Dallas

• crowecg

• Alan7140

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

21 years ago, around this time of the year, I bought myself a Nikon SLR camera. It was my first serious camera. Little did I know how that one little purchase would impact my life. Photography consume

Your splendid "iPhone" picture just demonstrate your fine ability to produce outstanding picture and I am sure that your photographic interest would have been the same with, may be, some photo gear va

21 years of experience probably has far more to do with your current level of photographic expertise than all the equipment you've ever bought has contributed.  I bet if you bought an SLR exactly

Posted Images

• Contributor
danielm
50 minutes ago, Dallas said:

" I wonder if I would have been chasing the zenith if I had been able to get images like this from my cellphone in Y2K? "

Your splendid "iPhone" picture just demonstrate your fine ability to produce outstanding picture and I am sure that your photographic interest would have been the same with, may be, some photo gear variations! 😉

Good day, Daniel M

50 minutes ago, Dallas said:

• Like 1

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Fliickr

crowecg

I didn’t even have a cell phone in 2000, never mind one that could take pictures.  So many things have come such a long way in that time.   Hopefully you can achieve enough in the next 20 years to look back on that with satisfaction too.

• Administrators
Dallas
1 hour ago, danielm said:

Your splendid "iPhone" picture just demonstrate your fine ability to produce outstanding picture and I am sure that your photographic interest would have been the same with, may be, some photo gear variations! 😉

Good day, Daniel M

You are very kind, Daniel . :) I think that for me being able to record a scene the way I see it is probably the one thing that dictates what I look for in camera gear these days. It also explains why mirrorless just made so much sense to me, even 9 years ago when I got my Olympus E-M5. To see what you're going to get before you even get it is just so satisfying to me. 

12 minutes ago, crowecg said:

I didn’t even have a cell phone in 2000, never mind one that could take pictures.  So many things have come such a long way in that time.   Hopefully you can achieve enough in the next 20 years to look back on that with satisfaction too.

Thanks Chris. I think I got my first cellphone (Nokia 5110) in 1995 and it is still in a box somewhere around the house. I doubt I would be able to get it to work today, given the non-existent battery replacement and the way cell network tech has changed. 

I decided this morning after dropping off the missus to go to the beach for a walk, seeing as I am slowly expanding back to pre-skinny-me days. The weather here at this time of the year is sublime on most days and when I got to the Moyo pier the sun was just hiding behind that sliver of cloud which made the scene feel quite spicy (light wise). To have a device in my pocket that could record it faithfully is quite amazing.  

• Contributor
danielm
22 minutes ago, Dallas said:

You are very kind, Daniel . :) I think that for me being able to record a scene the way I see it is probably the one thing that dictates what I look for in camera gear these days. It also explains why mirrorless just made so much sense to me, even 9 years ago when I got my Olympus E-M5. To see what you're going to get before you even get it is just so satisfying to me. 

The electronic viewfinders introduction (from TV era) applied to photographic gear is may be one of the most signifiant technical advancement (along with the digital image sensor) in term of picture creativity especially in monochrome photography. And we also share the love of the first Olympus OM-D E-M5!

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Fliickr

• Contributor
Alan7140

21 years of experience probably has far more to do with your current level of photographic expertise than all the equipment you've ever bought has contributed. 

I bet if you bought an SLR exactly the same as the one you started with (and you probably could, and it will likely still be fully usable), the photos you take now would be as good as those taken with your current cameras, be they actual cameras or a phone.

• Like 1