No New Gear In '21

• Administrators

Well, that's the promise I just made myself. Or at least until this pandemic is declared a part of our history. 

I bought way too many things this year. From a new Mac Mini to a new camera, to a studio stand, to video lights, to audio interface (and related peripherals), to studio light supports. Most of it was bought in my quest to simplify my product photography and also to take my mind off the collapse of the tourism industry that props up at least 60% of my life. I guess a little indulgence is alright, but if it becomes obsessive (as it seemingly has in my case) interventions need to be made. Taking stock I believe I have everything I need to not only continue doing my photography work, but to also branch off into the long dreamed of world of educational video making.

Ideally I would like to produce a course or two, for not only the kind of simple commercial photography I do, but also the technical stuff I do on the digital marketing side of things (websites, email, etc). I think I can do some good there because there are a lot of people right now who could benefit from learning how to become independent of corporate income. I may ask you all to indulge me in some Q&A on what kind of photography tuition you might find useful for me to market on Fotozones, since it is the ideal platform for me to use, even though it would probably require a slight shift in focus for the website. More on that to come. 

For now I bid you a Good Riddance 2020 and wherever you are I hope that you are well and looking forward to an improvement in our world for the next year. 

(one of my cousins mentioned in a message the other day asking if anybody thought about the fact that next year will be known as 2020-won) 

• Like 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dallas

• blurmagic

• Hugh_3170

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, that's the promise I just made myself. Or at least until this pandemic is declared a part of our history.    I bought way too many things this year. From a new Mac Mini to a new camera

If I was to make videos for Fotozones, what type of videos would be most useful? I can’t do gear reviews, but I can do technique tutorials on things like real estate, pack shots and using Lightroom. 

I find the thinking behind how people use their gear/equipment to be most useful and the idea of running technique tutorials is a good one.  Gear wise, Alan7140 for example has gone back into some ver

blurmagic

Sorry, but I don't understand what question you are asking us to comment on.

Edited by blurmagic
  • Administrators
Dallas
8 hours ago, blurmagic said:

Sorry, but I don't understand what question you are asking us to comment on.

If I was to make videos for Fotozones, what type of videos would be most useful? I can’t do gear reviews, but I can do technique tutorials on things like real estate, pack shots and using Lightroom. 

• Like 1
Hugh_3170

I find the thinking behind how people use their gear/equipment to be most useful and the idea of running technique tutorials is a good one.  Gear wise, Alan7140 for example has gone back into some very old equipment in recent times and has combined his modern know how with the old equipment & materials to achieve best of breed outcomes.

1 hour ago, Dallas said:

• Like 1
  • Administrators
Dallas

Thanks Hugh. 

The amount of effort that is required to produce video is quite significant. If I look at the FZ YouTube channel I started a while back I have over 550 subscribers which kind of gives me a good reason to continue with it, as opposed to my other channel (the tech one) which only has 60-odd subscribers. The thing is, if I make videos about photography there has to be a pay-off for me. On Fotozones that has been my safaris, which are obviously stalled for now, so for videos to be monetised I have to think carefully about how I'm going to do that. I don't want to make videos for affiliate commissions or Adsense (blech!), so if I do make educational videos I would have to put them behind a paywall for Fotozones Subscribers since YouTube has a steep threshold before they give you access to the Membership model. Vimeo and the FZ platform will allow me to do that, but then I may not have the kind of momentum it needs to be worthwhile.  

It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, but I am thinking about which way to go right now. 

• Like 1
blurmagic

I too develop photography tutorials.  There are a couple of areas of photography that I am expert in.  I limit my tutorials to those specific subjects.

So, my recommendation is - develop tutorials on subjects which you have the greatest expertise in.  Don't rehash what has already been done by others; rather produce new content that is totally original and unique.

Dallas, we've never met, but from what I've read, I would consider you an expert in wildlife photography and real estate photography.  I'm sure you have other areas of expertise too; but I suspect you'd have much original content to share in these two areas.

But unfortunately, I would not be a potential buyer of a course on either subject, because these are not areas of photography that interest me.  So, you might want to consider developing courses for Udemy.com, I expect that many of their 25,000,000 plus students would have an interest in wildlife photography and real estate photography.

Edited by blurmagic
  • Like 1
  • Administrators
Dallas

Thanks Dave, appreciate your input. 

I don't think of myself as a wildlife photographer, so I'd feel a bit odd trying to teach people that when there are others who know a lot more about it than I do. A lot of what you see from me in that regard is really just camera operation at the right time. The real work is in positioning yourself and knowing the animal behaviour. For this stuff we rely entirely on the experience and expertise of our rangers. 

Real estate however I do have a lot of insight into and I have worked out a system of operation that allows me to do in a fraction of the time what most other RE photographers do. For example, I can shoot a large 4 bedroom home inside and outside in under 30 minutes and my photos are always well received by the clients. They are not always portfolio worthy images, but they accomplish their objective. My editing is also only done in Lightroom, which is frowned on by RE photographers who spend ages in Photoshop creating composites of endless frames where they use flash and ambient light. Whether or not this methodology of mine is something that others would pay for when they are being taught completely differently by the likes of Scott Hargis and Mike Kelley is the question I don't have the answer for. I wouldn't even know what to charge for it, to be honest.