Bauhaus Einflüsse (today's testimonies of aesthetic functionality)

danielm

• Contributor

Bauhaus_logo.png
Bauhaus logo, created in  1922  by  Oskar Schlemmer 
Source: Wikipedia
The influence of the German Bauhaus school has run deep in our society, despite its initial brevity of 1919-1933. It is part of an original vision that combines functionalism and aesthetics to produce a modern artistic vision of our habitat and its accessories of everyday life. 

The Bauhaus or perhaps translatable into the art of building a house, gave its letters of nobility to the use of purely contemporary materials, techniques and arrangements and proposed to free us from classical visions in building architecture. , spaces and objects for the use of the men and women of our society.

Several qualifiers can be applied to the Bauhaus: simplicity, daring, comfort, cubism, luminescence, etc. In short, its interpretation is multiple and very diverse. Several creators were inspired by it consciously or involuntarily because modern functionalism today links the beauty of the work with the efficiency of its usefulness. 

In short, the Bauhaus took part in the emancipation of humanity by building a universe specific to its secular, proportional, artistic and functional signature. 

Here are some examples of voluntary or non-voluntary testimonies of the Bauhaus taken from my daily environment:

P5220415.jpg
A private residence of cubic construction of voluntary or unconscious Bauhaus inspiration which 
 may also refer to the Habitat 67 complex of the 1967 Montreal World Fair.

P5210396.jpg
The Center for the Interpretation of Water in the City of Laval (Canada), whose 
 architectural minimalism reflects the essential utilitarian vocation of this service.

P5210343.jpg

The new (2018) Milles-Iles River Park Exploration Center (Canada) which brings together an interpretive exhibition of flora and fauna, a center for outdoor activities and a multidisciplinary meeting place. The building, built to recent LED recovery and ecological efficiency standards, has very dynamic windows focused on integration into the natural environment.
P5210363.jpg
P5210352.jpg

P5040101.jpg
The principle of advanced balconies forming a ladder on the facade of this building. 
Their independent character gives their users an impression of freedom 
 in relation to the confinement vocation of the apartments to which they are attached. 

P5190300.jpg
This is not "the" iconic Bauhaus chair but 
 a functional interpretation that is at once utilitarian, compact and aesthetic.

P5220430.jpg
Bauhaus-inspired desk lamps have been part of our home environment 
 for decades. Today they are still relevant despite their 
 less use with the adoption of backlit screens in computers and other computing devices. 
 Here we have a FORSA lamp available from IKEA.

• Like 3

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Fliickr

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielm

• Luc de Schepper

• Dallas

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bauhaus logo, created in  1922  by  Oskar Schlemmer .  Source: Wikipedia The influence of the German Bauhaus school has run deep in our society, despite its initial brevity of 1919-1933. It is

Interesting article and images, Daniel. I'm a fan of the Bauhaus style which to me represents a great mix of form, function and beauty.   I even have my own little Bauhaus artefact at home,

Dear Luc,  Your passion for Bauhaus greatly beats my modest interest for it and your lamp is simply splendid! Receive my warmest salutations, Daniel M

• Contributor
Luc de Schepper

Interesting article and images, Daniel. I'm a fan of the Bauhaus style which to me represents a great mix of form, function and beauty.

I even have my own little Bauhaus artefact at home, this iconic table lamp by Wilhelm Wagenfeld (made by Tecnolumen). 

image.jpg

And if we win the lottery my wife and I have agreed on the purchase of a nice plot of land and have a bungalow built in Bauhaus style (plus swimming pool) by German builders HUF, more info HUF Haus

Edited by Luc de Schepper
  • Like 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Contributor
49 minutes ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Interesting article and images, Daniel. I'm a fan of the Bauhaus style which to me represents a great mix of form, function and beauty.

I even have my own little Bauhaus artefact at home, this iconic table lamp by Wilhelm Wagenfeld (made by Tecnolumen). 

image.jpg

And if we win the lottery my wife and I have agreed on the purchase of a nice plot of land have a bungalow built in Bauhaus style (plus swimming pool) by German builders HUF, more info HUF Haus

Dear Luc, 
Your passion for Bauhaus greatly beats my modest interest for it and your lamp is simply splendid!

Receive my warmest salutations, Daniel M

• Like 1

Daniel M on Fliickr

• Administrators

Wonderful Daniel! I am a huge fan of the Bauhaus movement in design (although I have never really studied it, I just know what I like when I see it). I have a thing especially for angle poise lamps and other articulated stuff. 

• Contributor
13 hours ago, Dallas said:

Wonderful Daniel! I am a huge fan of the Bauhaus movement in design (although I have never really studied it, I just know what I like when I see it). I have a thing especially for angle poise lamps and other articulated stuff. 

It is very interesting to see how such much people are inspired by the Bauhaus and its influence over the last century (They have celebrated the birth of  it last year). If you combine functionalism with aesthetic (may be with a zest of cubic inclination), you may obtain another Bauhaus interpretation in your life! I am pleased to see others fans like me who are Bauhaus lovers!

Daniel M on Fliickr