Once more into the breech...

Alan7140

• Contributor
Alan7140
14 hours ago, CarreraS said:

#1 Commode ! You mean a dunny ? But unlikely to be stone built in the rest of Australia .. There's a fair few buildings in that state around me in Herefordshire, despite the price of land, farming incomes are quite low. But that ones quite photogenic !

#2 Who's that old bloke asleep under his hat ?

#2 & '#3 that camera is an absolute work of art, your bellows is perfect, and that lens really looks the business !

From what you've said, this camera was much more expensive than your beloved T-Ps, and its great to see properly jointed woodwork (especially considering where you started), but was this the Hasselblad or Leica of the day ? Just curious ..

cheers, Maurice

#1. Dunny it is then, but in deference to the greater non-empire population's understanding of the Australian/English tongue, I thought I'd try a word with a wider understanding. :) 

The interior is luxurious by Roman Empire standards - two seats side-by side on a thuderbox 😉 , and even a floor-level seat in the corner for the toddlers in the family (my feet included for scale in the second photo).
Communal pooping in style, as it were. 😄 "Flushing" was via a sophisticated "roll down the hill through a large opening in the back wall of the steeply-sloped under-floor area via gravity" mechanism.

6eczXNF.jpg

rcSYQuv.jpg

#2. Just a cunningly disguised hat, focusing cloth (red & black velvet with gold stitching, may as well be flamboyant), and canvas shoulder bag.

Re: the Premo, I had thought of Hasselblad as a fair comparison of the status of the Pony Premo No.7, which appears to have been the top of the line for the numbered series of Pony Premo cameras which were all made between 1898 and 1912.

No.7 from 1902 - 1912, with those after 1907 being made by Eastman Kodak Co after it took over the Rochester Optical Co, and which maybe dates this one (the "Premo" embossed brand name on the leather handle had been covered with a cardboard strip and the handle then wrapped with a thin leatherette cover - I've seen pictures of other Premo cameras so modified - although the "Pony Premo No.7" stamped on the lens standard was left visible on this one).

The Patent on the bed locking mechanism of this one is 1902, which confirms this is a No.7, which is the year this model was added to the line-up. Nos.2-4 were 1898-1912, #5 was 1898-1903, #6 was 1900-1912, #7 was 1902-1912, and #1 from 1904-1912). The numbering seems to have indicated degree of equipment level rather than sequence of introduction.

The No.7 was the ultimate number in the series (although one model in this style was the "Premo Supreme" 1902-1908, so probably the best equipped model in the series). Once I did the basic research I couldn't help but embark on rescuing it - looking online the No.7 is pretty rare, and whilst it was beyond practical restoration to original condition, I have no qualms about having made it into a camera that is both good looking and 100% usable in current times - even film is still available for it, although I have no problems using paper negs as my enlarger won't do larger than 5x4" and the end result will always have to be digitised for any use I can put it to.

Edited by Alan7140
  • Like 2
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan7140

• Dallas

• CarreraS

• Hugh_3170

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was given this 5" x 7" format Premo Pony No.7 camera (a.k.a. Kodak Pony), literally a pile of junk which looked like it had spent much of its life under a pile of garbage somewhere, sans lens and wi

The Internet is marvellous (sometimes) - my online musings on the difficulty of finding a 5"x7" double darkslide to fit the camera was answered within a few hours by an exchange offer of a practically

...and here's the first photo from the Pony Premo with its new bellows and Schneider-Kreuznach 5,6/180 lens, taken at a local farm just across the river from my place this morning of a rockpool (below

Hugh_3170

Allan, great work with the restoration and usage of the Pony Premo.

The word "Dunny" found its way into the Oxford Dictionary quite some time ago - around the late 1960s/early 1970s in fact.  That it did so, was due to a friend of mine,  Gerry Carrington who had travelled from NZ to Oxford to study for his D.Phil (in Physics).  Gerry was a friend of one of the compilers of the dictionary who was tasked with revising and keeping the dictionary up to date.  He asked Gerry if there were any antipodean words that should be in the said dictionary and Gerry replied "Dunny".  Gerry rerurned to the University of Otago and became one of the physics professors at that university.  Now retired Gerry was a keen bush walker and photographer himself.

• Like 2

Both the camera and the pictures are looking good.

• Like 1

Alan & Hugh, thank you both for the additional material. It's 1 degree C and foggy here, and laughing keeps you warm !

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Well, there is the central heating ..

I think your time zones are a little off ! And the whippets would see off a St Bernard, no matter the blandishments on offer !

What's wrong with a brief laugh .. Mrs CarreraS (yes, for it is she) and I listen to repeats of 'Round the Horne' and 'Mark Steel in Town' over dinner most evenings courtesy of BBC iPlayer .. 🤪 .. bl00dy h1lari1ous !!

Things are looking slightly brighter .. aren't they ??

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.