In the Woods

crowecg

After the B&W photo walk the other week, last weekend the choice was colour (Velvia Film simulation) and a telephoto zoom (55-200).

50603795636_77581d5705_o.jpg

How can you not include a lorikeet when the theme is colour 

50603054798_304acf9f16_o.jpg

And then a kookaburra  

50603054678_847264fa39_o.jpg

Adding an extension tube gave a bit extra magnification for flowers 

50603054608_6d0f027ee9_o.jpg

And some man-made colour  

50603915387_2c38346435_o.jpg

And peeking out from above the trees formerly an asylum but now an exclusive residential development.

• Like 4
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dallas

• CarreraS

• crowecg

• Hugh_3170

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the B&W photo walk the other week, last weekend the choice was colour (Velvia Film simulation) and a telephoto zoom (55-200).   How can you not include a lorikeet when the th

Thanks for all the comments.  Australia certainly has some interesting birds.  Kookaburra are mainly known for their unique call.  I’ve found that the ones around Melbourne are not too shy - I’ve had

Here's one from Chobe 2017 .. D500 400G TC14 1/800 f8 ISO 3600   Is quite large .. perhaps twice the size of the Woodland KF or 4 x the Malachite roughly. Nothing sounds like a kookaburra, t

Posted Images

• Administrators
Dallas

Very nice series, Chris. The kookaburra looks quite similar to the giant kingfisher here. Different colouring, but similar outline and beak. 

• Contributor
danielm

Very beautiful pictures and the second bird one is my favorite. Thank you for sharing to us.
Have a good day, Daniel M

A trace of light that survive a little further than the actual moment of flash.

photodanielm.blogspot.com

Daniel M on Fliickr

CarreraS

That lorikeet is spectacular, and I love the kookaburra! IIRC they are quite shy, so good job !! Nice action graffiti, too, but is the asylum (perhaps deliberately) a bit off vertical ? .. 😎

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Hugh_3170

You are quite right Dallas - the Kookaburra is indeed a member of the Kingfisher family.

Nice series Chris.  Glad that Melburnians can get out again.

10 hours ago, Dallas said:

Very nice series, Chris. The kookaburra looks quite similar to the giant kingfisher here. Different colouring, but similar outline and beak. 

crowecg

Thanks for all the comments.  Australia certainly has some interesting birds.  Kookaburra are mainly known for their unique call.  I’ve found that the ones around Melbourne are not too shy - I’ve had one join us at a picnic table for lunch (it seemed interested in our slices of salami).  It was so close I had to get up and take a few steps back to get a picture of it.  

I’ll have a go straightening the asylum and try not to break all the links.

• Like 1
CarreraS
18 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Glad that Melburnians can get out again.

See it's SAs turn for quarantine hotel workers to spread it now !

Gee, Chris, don't worry, a bent asylum is fine .. 😊

crowecg
17 hours ago, CarreraS said:

See it's SAs turn for quarantine hotel workers to spread it now !

well, that shows that the problem wasn’t unique to Melbourne and will be a poke in the eye to the federal politicians who used Melbourne’s outbreak for political point scoring.  Hopefully it doesn’t blow up to quite the same scale though.

CarreraS
On 15/11/2020 at 21:24, Hugh_3170 said:

Dallas said - The kookaburra looks quite similar to the giant kingfisher here. Different colouring, but similar outline and beak. 

Here's one from Chobe 2017 .. D500 400G TC14 1/800 f8 ISO 3600

Is quite large .. perhaps twice the size of the Woodland KF or 4 x the Malachite roughly. Nothing sounds like a kookaburra, that's for sure .. we lived in 20 acres of pasture / woodland in the Adelaide Hills between Clarendon & Mclaren Vale in the 90s, they were a daily presence.

I've just reminded myself - the strangest thing I ever heard, like a chainsaw being reluctant to start, was a lonely koala calling for a mate !

2091741344_20170907162732NIKOND5006860.thumb.jpg.c531c02a01b0ccd357cb5b672a9b7ff4.jpg

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

• Administrators
Dallas

Talk about birds making a noise... in the past week or so there is an Egyptian Goose that has decided to land on my neighbour's roof every morning at around 5am and begin a non-stop call for a mate. It literally goes on for at least 15-30 minutes before it flies away. Unfortunately the neighbour's house is too high (3 stories) for me to be able to safely chuck something at it without risking property damage. 

And as soon as the Egyptian flies off it is replaced by at least 3 or 4 Hadeda Ibises which is a bird that anybody who has been to South Africa will know about when it comes to noise. 

CarreraS
5 hours ago, Dallas said:

at least 3 or 4 Hadeda Ibises which is a bird that anybody who has been to South Africa

Jees, I bin a few times, but I don't think I know about these guys .. pIcs, we want pics !! Or videos with sound at least !

• LOL 1

• Administrators
Dallas
6 hours ago, CarreraS said:

Jees, I bin a few times, but I don't think I know about these guys .. pIcs, we want pics !! Or videos with sound at least !

They are fugly, noisy and certainly not the kind of creature that gets ornithologists very excited. I will make an effort to introduce you to them soon. :) 

crowecg
19 hours ago, Dallas said:

Talk about birds making a noise... in the past week or so there is an Egyptian Goose that has decided to land on my neighbour's roof every morning at around 5am and begin a non-stop call for a mate. It literally goes on for at least 15-30 minutes before it flies away. Unfortunately the neighbour's house is too high (3 stories) for me to be able to safely chuck something at it without risking property damage. 

And as soon as the Egyptian flies off it is replaced by at least 3 or 4 Hadeda Ibises which is a bird that anybody who has been to South Africa will know about when it comes to noise. 

Another noisy bird here is the Australian magpie, but it manages to do it in a way that doesn’t sound unpleasant.

Hugh_3170

Love the Australian Magpie birds.

(Not quite so sure about the Aussie Rules football team who call themselves The Magpies! :devil:  )

• Administrators
Dallas
10 hours ago, Dallas said:

I will make an effort to introduce you to them soon. :) 

Maurice, this is not a great quality video but you'll get a sense of just how noisy they can be. :) 

CarreraS
8 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Love the Australian Magpie birds.

(Not quite so sure about the Aussie Rules football team who call themselves The Magpies! :devil:  )

That'll be Collingwood, even I know that !! But then there's Port Adelaide too in B&W ..

Thanks for that great video, Dallas, I'll be more careful what I ask for in future .. 🤑

Fingers crossed for Adelaide, I've still got a few relatives kicking around there .. 😖

cheers, Maurice 

• Administrators
Dallas
9 hours ago, CarreraS said:

Thanks for that great video, Dallas, I'll be more careful what I ask for in future .. 🤑

LOL. They are not pleasant to listen to or look at. :D 

Hugh_3170

Maurice, I did not wish to use the "C" word on a public web forum! 🙂

The footy team and the Magpie Army that follow them are a sort of dirty dozen of the Aussie Rules football league - they are either much loved or much loathed - so no in betweens as it were!

Your 1st photo is captivating for the colors and busy-ness of the bird.

Edited by mjcmt