Out on the Street

crowecg

As we move through spring and restrictions are starting to ease, I've had a a bit more opportunity to get out and about.  As a personal challenge, I thought I would try some 'street' style photography.  So I stuck the 27 f/2.8 on my Fuji X-E3 and headed out.  Two outings actually, one in the city while I had a bit of time to spare before a meeting and then the other was a suburban walk nearer home.

First part was relatively easy - getting the look.  Started with the Fuji Across film simulation and then added 'Shadows' +4.  The second part was not quite as easy.  I think my normal tendency is towards 'Urban Landscape' rather than a more people focused 'street' style.  

50518883701_67aa2912da_o.jpg

Street 1 

50519058507_2ee639560c_o.jpg

Street 2 

50518167288_94a3c30310_o.jpg

Street 3 

50519058327_cc3bec0750_o.jpg

Street 4 

50518883506_afdba2a8e9_o.jpg

Street 5 

Not sure if it is just my habit of trying to avoid people dominating the picture or perhaps not having the best focal length, but I've had to crop most of these a bit.  Perhaps my 18-55 would have been a better choice, although it would probably have been hard for me to avoid the temptation of going to the wider end.  The suburban walk also had me wishing I had a longer lens and wanting to swap to colour for the spring birds and flowers - perhaps tomorrow.

Lots for me to work on to learn this style I think.  And would adding an ND filter so that I had to push the ISO up and make the shots a bit more grainy be too cliched?  

• Like 2
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crowecg

• Alan7140

• Dallas

• CarreraS

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As we move through spring and restrictions are starting to ease, I've had a a bit more opportunity to get out and about.  As a personal challenge, I thought I would try some 'street' style photography

Alan, you are right, some bits of Melbourne don't change - others do.  I'm sure you would be familiar with the area around the elevated rail picture too - it is replacing the level crossing at the top

• Contributor
Alan7140

Nice work, Chris.

Of course#1 immediately located me in Melbourne, some things never change!

I had several friends in the 1970's & '80's who worked at 1 Treasury Place which then housed the Crown Lands & Survey Aerial Photographic Section, accessed just to the right and behind the old Treasury Building pictured.

CarreraS

1st one certainly took me back, too !

Next time you're up in town, Chris, would you grab a shot of the Windsor Hotel ? Assuming its still there ..

We were married in Fitzroy Gardens, in the cupola there, and spent our wedding night in the Windsor ! .. 1974 😎

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

crowecg
20 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Nice work, Chris.

Of course#1 immediately located me in Melbourne, some things never change!

I had several friends in the 1970's & '80's who worked at 1 Treasury Place which then housed the Crown Lands & Survey Aerial Photographic Section, accessed just to the right and behind the old Treasury Building pictured.

Alan, you are right, some bits of Melbourne don't change - others do.  I'm sure you would be familiar with the area around the elevated rail picture too - it is replacing the level crossing at the top of Grange Road near the corner with Dandenong Road.  I'm sure you will have passed that crossing many times when you were based in Ormond. 

20 hours ago, Dallas said:

The last 2 are pretty good. I like 'em a lot. 

Dallas, the motorway picture has me thinking of trying something else I tend not to do - I'm wondering about cloning out the VW Golf in the bottom right circle.  Maybe even just moving it back 10m up the road so it is partially obscured might help, then the focus would be on the centre circle "Drag Race".

19 hours ago, CarreraS said:

1st one certainly took me back, too !

Next time you're up in town, Chris, would you grab a shot of the Windsor Hotel ? Assuming its still there ..

We were married in Fitzroy Gardens, in the cupola there, and spent our wedding night in the Windsor ! .. 1974 😎

cheers, Maurice

Maurice, you are in luck. I did capture a shot of the Windsor Hotel.  It has been subject to planned redevelopment with a big tower sticking up from the back, but it got a bit political.  I think the plans have been shot down for now, but depending on the next state election, it could change depending on whether the developer is mates with the planning minister.

50522818636_f379f4c057_o.jpg

Street 6 

Thanks All for looking and commenting.

Edited by crowecg
  • Like 1
  • Contributor
Alan7140
19 hours ago, crowecg said:

Alan, you are right, some bits of Melbourne don't change - others do.  I'm sure you would be familiar with the area around the elevated rail picture too - it is replacing the level crossing at the top of Grange Road near the corner with Dandenong Road.  I'm sure you will have passed that crossing many times when you were based in Ormond. 

The last time I drove that section of Dandenong Rd was over 25 years ago, Chris - no elevated rail even thought of back then, of course. I do, however, remember the Grange Rd level crossing all too well - it was in one of the worst positions imaginable as far as traffic flow went, particularly when turning from Dandy Rd into Grange Rd when two or three trains coincided a minute or two apart during peak hour.

As for the Windsor - I doubt any Melburnian who was a resident back in the latter half of the 20th Century hadn't either stayed there, been to or had a wedding there, or had high tea in the tea lounge at some stage, particularly during its heyday when the eccentric "professional Gentleman" and racing car driver "Captain" Peter Janson held court there in the '70's and early '80's. I know I've done all three things (there were several weddings of course - all part of the job, you see). :) There was little to make one feel more uppity than handing the keys of the Range Rover to the Windsor's doorman as you checked in for a night, asking him to "park the car, please" and to "send the keys up to our room".

Edited by Alan7140
CarreraS

Yay !! Very nice .. good surprise for Jennifer !

The doorman used to be rather smarter, as I recall 😉

Thanks, Chris !

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

• Administrators
Dallas
9 hours ago, crowecg said:

Dallas, the motorway picture has me thinking of trying something else I tend not to do - I'm wondering about cloning out the VW Golf in the bottom right circle.  Maybe even just moving it back 10m up the road so it is partially obscured might help, then the focus would be on the centre circle "Drag Race".

No, I kind of like the Golf in the front circle. Looks like it is being chased down by the others. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hugh_3170

Nice set of Melbourne images Chris.  I am still jailed up in NZ due to COVID-19 and I am feeling a little homesick - odd because I am from NZ.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Where is Street 3 from?  Dandenong line?

Edited by Hugh_3170
crowecg
15 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Nice set of Melbourne images Chris.  I am still jailed up in NZ due to COVID-19 and I am feeling a little homesick - odd because I am from NZ.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Wher is Street 3 from?  Dnadenong line?

Yes, No. 3 is the Dandenong line between Carnegie and Caulfield near where the line crosses Grange Road.

Yesterdays news here in Melbourne is that quarantine free flights from NZ to Melbourne might resume next week.