New Home Page

• Administrators
Dallas

After some years I have decided to refresh the homepage and this is now the longstanding "portal" page that most members use on a daily basis. 

The previous page looked pretty for new arrivals, but it was not very well coded and took a seriously long time to load as it was loading lots of images. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to reduce the number of images loading or even tell it to load thumbnails instead of full size pics, so what I have done instead is produce a strip of the "headliner" posts at the top of the page and have the rest of the page show the most recent discussions on the forum. I think this will appeal to a lot more visitors who probably didn't wait around for the home page to load. I will probably tweak this a bit more over the next couple of days. 

One thing that has changed in the latest software that has been bugging me for ages is that it now allows the member to go to the first unread post when clicking on any of the items in that block, provided they have set this in their account settings

Enjoy! (and remember, I am always open to new suggestions for improvements). 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dallas

• crowecg

• Anthony

• Alan7140

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One change I have noticed since the last update is that pages load much faster. For a long time this has been a problem for me, but that seems to be gone.

crowecg

I think that looks good.  Is it possible to get the headliners to scroll automatically after a period of time?  At the moment, for the screens I've looked at it on, it only displays 2 or 3 items.

• Administrators
Dallas
20 minutes ago, crowecg said:

I think that looks good.  Is it possible to get the headliners to scroll automatically after a period of time?  At the moment, for the screens I've looked at it on, it only displays 2 or 3 items.

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately the amount of customisations available on these “blocks” is very limited. You should be able to manually scroll the content in there?

crowecg
Just now, Dallas said:

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately the amount of customisations available on these “blocks” is very limited. You should be able to manually scroll the content in there?

Yes, I have no problem with the manual scrolling, I was just thinking of getting broader exposure to the headliners.

Another thing I have just noticed is the disappearance of the preview button when composing posts.  I see edits has moved up into the 'dots' button above the post rather than below, although I haven't tried that yet.  On a similar thought, although it may be something that hasn't been around for a while, is the ability to view your message entirely as code - I know most people wouldn't be interested, but it can occasionally be useful when trying to edit links and complex formatting.

• Administrators
Dallas
1 hour ago, crowecg said:

On a similar thought, although it may be something that hasn't been around for a while, is the ability to view your message entirely as code - I know most people wouldn't be interested, but it can occasionally be useful when trying to edit links and complex formatting.

It is there, but only for Admin level. They highly recommend turning it off for all other users for security purposes. 

To be honest, I don't even recall seeing a preview button? 

On the whole I have been quite disappointed with the upgrade. There seems to be a lot of things that have gone backwards. Also a lot of folks on the support forum have been complaining about the layout and the amount of white space that it leaves around on the default theme, especially at the top of the screen. Our theme is slowly coming together - I expect another update soon that will fix a lot of the niggles currently being experienced. For example, the sticky menu is obscuring the flash message that appears when you make updates to various things, plus the announcement position isn't floating above the menu the way it is supposed to. The developer is very proactive though, which is good. 

Anthony

One change I have noticed since the last update is that pages load much faster. For a long time this has been a problem for me, but that seems to be gone.

• Like 1
  • Contributor
Alan7140

+1 on the pages loading faster.

• Administrators
Dallas
1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Well that is something good that has come out of the upgrade! I don't really notice a change, but it could be that I am just used to slow internet. :) 

crowecg

After my earlier comments about space when using a smaller device, tonight I'm plugged into my big screen.  That gets me 8 of the headliners across the top, but the 'latest discussions' list looks a bit too spaced out - there is one column of data in the right 10-15% of the screen, then another column of data and the ads in the right 20% of the screen and about 65% of the screen in between is blank.  

You are probably wondering why I can't just use normal sized screens like everyone else.😁  Running in full screen mode on my big screen probably is an unusual case.  When using it for work, I tend to have two windows at half a screen each which is a good size.  Full screen is normally just for maps, drawings and photo editing.  At half screen, the home page sizing looks OK.

Edit:  Just flicked through a few other websites.  I don't think that having a lot of blank space is uncommon when I'm at full screen.  Looking at a news site - there is probably about 50% white space, but it is spaced equally on either side.

Edited by crowecg
  • Administrators
Dallas

What size screen are you using, Chris? I have 27" Thunderbolt displays on my Mac and it seems OK on there. The theme designer has released an update today that is supposed to have fixed a lot of the problems, but after a cursory glance at the update I am still having problems with the sticky menu bar. 

crowecg
17 hours ago, Dallas said:

What size screen are you using, Chris? I have 27" Thunderbolt displays on my Mac and it seems OK on there. The theme designer has released an update today that is supposed to have fixed a lot of the problems, but after a cursory glance at the update I am still having problems with the sticky menu bar. 

28” 4K screen, running at something like 112% zoom, giving around 3600x1960.  Running macOS with Safari browser.  

I know it’s an extreme case, but given the effort you put into making this place look so good, I thought I’d let you know how it behaves at the extremes.  

• Administrators
Dallas
48 minutes ago, crowecg said:

28” 4K screen, running at something like 112% zoom, giving around 3600x1960.  Running macOS with Safari browser.  

I know it’s an extreme case, but given the effort you put into making this place look so good, I thought I’d let you know how it behaves at the extremes.  

Hmmm, yes that's way more than I can test for. If you can add a screenshot that might be helpful.