Offline Explanation

• Administrators
Dallas

Software upgrades are not for the feint-hearted. That's probably what it will say on my epitaph when I die of cardiac arrest.

After the pain of doing the recent upgrade and then spending days trying to get FZ back to where it was prior to that undertaking, I also had to upgrade PHP on the server itself. In doing so I inadvertently discovered that the new GD module for php v7.4 will inflate the size of thumbnails it creates by up to 3x when the thumbnail JPG compression in Invision setting is set at 100%. 

So, when I tried to rebuild all the thumbnails after changing the maximum thumbnail display dimension back from 2000px to 1600px (after deciding that 2000px was way too big), the two software systems decided to teach me a lesson and every single thumbnail attachment inflated its file size threefold. I then noticed a big red warning that the system could not write to the data storage location, so I bought additional storage thinking that would fix the problem. It did for a while but then I tried to rebuild the thumbnails again since some of them were broken. The same thing happened again, except now the thumbnails that had already increased by 3x tried to do it again and the additional space disappeared before I could say "What the... ?"

Long story short the advanced support team at Invision have very kindly deleted all the enormous thumbnails and re-built them at 85% of original quality, which has reduced the disk space back to where it was prior to this disastrous bit of administration on my part. We're open again! 

I must apologise for the lengthy downtime. Next time there's a major upgrade that has to be done I think I will call in the experts first... 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dallas

• Walter Rowe

• Anthony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a nightmare! Well done for getting the problem solved.

No, this system is very much self-contained. The problems arise when the developer community don’t stay in sync with the parent program, which is what has been happening with the custom theme in this

Anthony

What a nightmare! Well done for getting the problem solved.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Dallas

My nightmare continues with this abortion of an upgrade. This morning a simple CSS "fix" for the theme to correct something completely screwed it up and I have now had to install a different version of the bloody thing, completely undoing weeks of tweaking and other fixes. I apologise for the way things look right now, but I am so over this bullshit. I will try to fix it again as I get time. 

• Subscriber
Walter Rowe

Dallas - thanks for your diligence and commitment. Do you use any tool to maintain versions of files? Git is really powerful and doesn’t take a masters in computer science to learn.

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, Walter Rowe said:

Do you use any tool to maintain versions of files?

No, this system is very much self-contained. The problems arise when the developer community don’t stay in sync with the parent program, which is what has been happening with the custom theme in this most recent update. IPS make changes to the underlying codes that will sometimes cause headaches for add-ons. This is what seems to have been the problem recently. Most of the things that were bugging me I have fixed with custom CSS code, but it’s still not quite right. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
Walter Rowe

That is often the challenge with "extensible" content management systems - Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, etc. You also have modules that some energetic university student develops and maintains until they graduate, then they abandon it without notice. You use it and then get hit with that one core system update that breaks it and no one fixes it.