W/c 12 Oct

crowecg

Sounds like the week commencing 12 October is going to be an interesting one.  It’s the rumoured date for the latest iPhone and also a few camera related announcements, including something from Fuji and some updates to the Nikon Z range.

And if we’re lucky, the week will end with the easing of some more of Melbourne’s lockdown restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crowecg

• Dallas

• Anthony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like the week commencing 12 October is going to be an interesting one.  It’s the rumoured date for the latest iPhone and also a few camera related announcements, including something from Fuji a

The current mask wearing requirements play havoc with Face ID.  I guess the notch is just a marketing trick to let them claim a bigger screen size.

• Administrators
Dallas

I see that Nikon are already updating the Z6&7 with new models. That’s pretty short gestation? As for iPhone, I am so disappointed with iOS14 right now that the only thing I want from them is software that works.

crowecg
26 minutes ago, Dallas said:

I see that Nikon are already updating the Z6&7 with new models. That’s pretty short gestation?

it is two years since they landed.  The rumours don’t sound like huge upgrades either, with no change to the sensors.

26 minutes ago, Dallas said:

As for iPhone, I am so disappointed with iOS14 right now that the only thing I want from them is software that works.

what sort of problems are you having with iOS 14?  I haven’t noticed anything, but I’m not really diving in to any of the fancy new features.

• Administrators
Dallas
2 hours ago, crowecg said:

what sort of problems are you having with iOS 14?  I haven’t noticed anything, but I’m not really diving in to any of the fancy new features.

It's settled down a bit and I have patched to 14.0.1 so it's not as bad as before. Basically the biggest issue is that my battery life has taken a big hit. I find the battery down to 30% after an average day of use now where before it would be at 60-70% when I plug it in for topping up at the end of the day (I'm not a huge phone user).

Other issues are that they removed the Favourites feature, which I used all the time to quickly dial or message family; the widgets don't work properly. Half the time there is no up to date data in them, so the world clock would have no hands on the faces of the clocks, weather widget doesn't refresh until you activate it by long pressing, plus when I try to install a new app it just asks me to re-sign in to my Apple ID continuously and then doesn't install the app until I reboot the phone. Reading some of the comments on the Apple forums it seems that most of these issues were brought to Apple's attention during beta yet they still released the update without fixing them. Very sloppy release.

crowecg

If the widgets are a bit buggy, they could be running background processes that are killing your battery.  I haven’t really played with them myself so I’m not sure how they work and what they are allowed to do.  

• Administrators
Dallas
2 minutes ago, crowecg said:

If the widgets are a bit buggy, they could be running background processes that are killing your battery.  I haven’t really played with them myself so I’m not sure how they work and what they are allowed to do.  

Could be that. I do understand though that as one's iPhone gets older Apple do something to the battery longevity in the name of safety. Well, that's what was said on one of the forum topics over on Apple support. Right now I only have three of them active, Calendar, Weather and Google. I removed all the others. 

Anthony

I read that the battery problems are caused  by background activity reorganising apps and data to work with the new version. If that is correct things should settle down soon.

crowecg
2 hours ago, Dallas said:

Could be that. I do understand though that as one's iPhone gets older Apple do something to the battery longevity in the name of safety. Well, that's what was said on one of the forum topics over on Apple support. Right now I only have three of them active, Calendar, Weather and Google. I removed all the others. 

there is a heading under “battery health” that explains if your phone is doing that.  It is about throttling back to maintain endurance.

• 2 weeks later...
crowecg

Well, they’ve started....

iPhone 12 announced this morning.  Pretty much as everyone had predicted.  Interesting point being the incorporation of lidar into the night mode on the pro models - I suppose if you have a full 3D model, it gets a bit easier for the AI to fill in the details.

Nikon z6 and z7 mk II announced this afternoon.  Three main changes: adding connection for extra grip, adding an sd card slot in addition to the xqd/cfexpress slot and adding a second expeed 6 processor.

and finally to be announced tonight Fuji X-S10 and mk2 10-24 with added weather resistance and marked aperture dial. The s10 seems to sit between the x-h series and the x-t200, with x-t30 internals and ibis.  Probably not that appealing to the traditional Fuji buyer, but may bring in former DSLR uses from other brands who aren’t wanting to step back to the classic film camera like controls of some of the more popular Fuji models.

Not sure much of that will make it onto my shopping list - much less into my bag.  The 10-24 is probably the only one tempting me for a closer look.

• Administrators
Dallas

Still can't bring myself to accept notches in the phone screen as "normal". I really don't know what the beef Apple has with bezels is all about. I'd rather have a bezel than a notch - just like the iPad Pro. And still I won't be convinced that face ID is better than using your thumb (I curse the technology every time I have to crane my head to get the iPad to unlock). Call me a Luddite! :D 

crowecg
6 hours ago, Dallas said:

Still can't bring myself to accept notches in the phone screen as "normal". I really don't know what the beef Apple has with bezels is all about. I'd rather have a bezel than a notch - just like the iPad Pro. And still I won't be convinced that face ID is better than using your thumb (I curse the technology every time I have to crane my head to get the iPad to unlock). Call me a Luddite! :D 

The current mask wearing requirements play havoc with Face ID.  I guess the notch is just a marketing trick to let them claim a bigger screen size.

• Like 1