"The Thumbs"

Alan7140

• Contributor
Alan7140

"The Thumbs" with a light dusting of snow.

South-West Tasmania.

(Pentacon Six, 2.8/180 Carl Zeiss Jena lens, f/11 @1/250.)

jekIzAb.jpg

Edited by Alan7140
  • Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan7140

• Dallas

• crowecg

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"The Thumbs" with a light dusting of snow. South-West Tasmania. (Pentacon Six, 2.8/180 Carl Zeiss Jena lens, f/11 @1/250.)          

I did indeed choose well in settling here as far as scenery goes. This view is a scant 30 minutes from home. The Tasmanian scenery, whilst still as old as the ancient, weathered landscape of the Austr

Tasmania has some amazing landscapes and you are doing a splendid job of capturing them.  I'm glad I waited to look at this properly on a big screen -  I just stared at it for several minutes while li

• Contributor
Alan7140

Thanks, Dallas. Making that comparison is high praise indeed.

Tasmania has some amazing landscapes and you are doing a splendid job of capturing them.  I'm glad I waited to look at this properly on a big screen -  I just stared at it for several minutes while listening to some music.

I enjoy mountain views and  I do miss that here in Victoria, both because I currently can't get to any,  but also because many of the mountains I've visited don't get much above the tree line, so it is a struggle to get a good view from between the trees.  I guess some of my favourite mountain views are probably manmade in regard to historic deforestation.  

• Like 1
  • Contributor
Alan7140
12 hours ago, crowecg said:

Tasmania has some amazing landscapes and you are doing a splendid job of capturing them.  I'm glad I waited to look at this properly on a big screen -  I just stared at it for several minutes while listening to some music.

I enjoy mountain views and  I do miss that here in Victoria, both because I currently can't get to any,  but also because many of the mountains I've visited don't get much above the tree line, so it is a struggle to get a good view from between the trees.  I guess some of my favourite mountain views are probably manmade in regard to historic deforestation.  

I did indeed choose well in settling here as far as scenery goes. This view is a scant 30 minutes from home. The Tasmanian scenery, whilst still as old as the ancient, weathered landscape of the Australian mainland, was carved by the last Ice Ages as most of what is now the island was covered with ice and ripped by glaciers. Although not very high (like all of Australia), the face of the Thumbs and the attendant Saw Back Range are the result of glacial action which dug out the valley in the mid-distance. There are still large boulders (glacial erratics) the size of houses scattered about the valley floor having been deposited there when the ice finally melted.

This entire area in view bore the brunt of the 2018-19 bushfire; only the tufts of buttongrass are green along with a few tees in the mid-distance which border Churchill's Creek, the rest is mostly dead and showing do signs of regeneration after nearly two years.

Thankfully the grain of the film and monochromatic rendition doesn't show this devastation,which, to be honest, I hoped would be the case.

Here's a colour panorama of the scene which gives a bit of an insight as to the damage. The banksia bushes in the foreground should be in full flower by now, and all the trees should be sporting fresh, spring growth. In the background the buttongrass plain makes things look deceptively green and mutes the brown and black of all the dead forest running up the side of the mountain. Up close it would look like the slopes in the foreground.

eMmIpcn.jpg

• Like 2

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.