Finally shooting macro on Fuji.

50336168857_a05c741765_o.jpg

Grasshopper 

50336013891_b8a9725795_o.jpg

Grasshopper 1 

Edited by crowecg
Correcting name
  • Like 1

Nicely done, and yes, it is a Mantis... ;) 

19 hours ago, Dallas said:

Great shots, Chris. But isn’t that a praying mantis?

Yes, you are correct.  Whilst I love finding and photographing these little creatures, I'm not that good at identifying them.

7 hours ago, Dallas said:

In Zulu folklore a visit from a mantis is your ancestors checking up on you. 

I think this one was just taking advantage of the bugs on the cabbages.😀😀  

• LOL 1

They have incredibly good, almost 360º eyesight, and also have a camouflage-like ability to change their colour to more closely mimic the vegetation they are in. The optic receptors (small black dot in each eye) travel around behind their array of fixed micro-lenses, firmly set on you when photographing them, indicating an awareness that you are something other than vegetation or prey and therefore a possible threat. When looking directly at you they definitely have 3-D vision. I've long been fascinated by them, from their swaying, back & forth gait to mimic vegetation in a breeze, to the lightning-fast attack-and-grab of their prey once in reach of those powerful, toothed, scissor-like front limbs.

Here's one I photographed in a dried-out bush with it's colour having changed to reflect that, and its 'eyes' fastened firmly on me:

qfEIBmA.jpg

• Like 1

It was still hanging around in the garden today.  Gave it a bit more space and shot with the extension tubes on the 55-200 this time - I think I'm going to like that combination for backyard safaris.

50347815958_1699f97fe3_o.jpg

Grasshopper 4 

• Like 1