Dallas

Let Sleeping Lions Sleep

I've been going through my Lightroom archives and clearing out a lot of old shoots and re-organising my safari images into more sensible order. This is from our 2017 safari to Sabi Sabi. I've previously published different versions of this sighting - still one of my favourite lion encounters. I think this was very close to the Selati camp where we stayed in 2019. Really hoping to get back there next year. 

_M1A6273.jpg

• Like 2

Let's hope next year is everything this year is not.

Great picture too.

• Like 1

Dallas,

When they're fully grown you definitely just let them sleep, but when they're just little big kitties, sometimes you just can't help yourself, and have to wake them up.

My mother, son and daughter expressing our cat lover genotype.

Robert

spacer.png

Edited by rbsinto
  • Like 1

I shoot film. That's film. F...i....l....m. You remember film don't you? It was in all the papers.

3 hours ago, rbsinto said:

Dallas,

When they're fully grown you definitely just let them sleep, but when they're just little big kitties, sometimes you just can't help yourself, and have to wake them up.

My mother, son and daughter expressing our cat lover genotype.

Robert

spacer.png

Robert, you probably aren't aware of this but the cub petting business is a big taboo in conservationist circles. Have you seen the show Tiger King? It sort of explains the reasons why (literally crazy people run these places), but also, once the animals are habituated to humans they can never be released into the wild again. Here in Africa they are bred for "canned lion hunting", a truly reprehensible practice and one of the main awareness campaigns behind Kevin Richardson's "Lion Whisperer" sanctuary (which we visited prior to going on safari last year). The lions in his care have all been rescued from this fate as cubs, but in so doing have now become entirely dependent on him for their survival. He now uses the sanctuary to build awareness of the plight of the lion and has a growing YouTube channel that is very informative when it comes to lion behaviour. 

Dallas,

I understand and quite agree.

For what its worth, this shot was made about 15 years ago at an animal rescue facility outside of Toronto, which closed for reasons I'm not aware of a number of years ago.

Robert  

• Like 2

I shoot film. That's film. F...i....l....m. You remember film don't you? It was in all the papers.

I was going to do a 'snap' of the same lion, but found this very woke cat from Day 1 on the way ..

😎

464486832_20170828163052NIKOND5000245.thumb.jpg.671e79805ea0d5cec664b8f118880cc5.jpg

Has he just had a drink .. ? or salivating over supper .. ?

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Aaahh, here he is day 2 .. 👱‍♂️.. recognise the haircut !

901466047_20170829062417NIKOND5000477.thumb.jpg.3c11c04958501ecb615a81554a0d4a74.jpg

• Like 1

Making faces ..

354624646_20170829063050NIKOND5000664.thumb.jpg.7aa04a7ffc7fd8e9dcf78f8259367fd4.jpg

• Like 1

Had to find a way around the grass to get focus tho' ... 🙃

Have to say, looking back, that Big Bertha (400 2.8G) is worth the logistical difficulties (and the heavier impacts when you slip !)  .. 😉.. The eyes on that leopard on a pixel peep are incredible !

4 hours ago, CarreraS said:

Had to find a way around the grass to get focus tho' ... 🙃

Have to say, looking back, that Big Bertha (400 2.8G) is worth the logistical difficulties (and the heavier impacts when you slip !)  .. 😉.. The eyes on that leopard on a pixel peep are incredible !

It is indeed an incredible lens, the times I've used it it was worth the workout. The subject separation while retaining tremendous detail plus beautiful rendering always brought a smile to my face.