Dallas

Flat Lay Experiments

With the behemoth camera stand in my space I thought I would experiment with some flat lay photography to see how efficiently I could get an easy setup for this type of thing. 

The first shot is with continuous lighting from camera left (2x fluorescents through an umbrella). 

IMG_0075.jpg

The second shot is made with a single Godox TT600 unit fired onto a polyboard angled at about 60˚ towards the setup, from just right of camera (clamped to the rigid arm of the stand) and I used the smaller polyboard to fill in from the bottom of the frame, at about 45˚. The colour is much richer than the continuous shot and the subjects also gain a bit more dimensionality to my eye. I suppose I should shoot the same things to get a more representative comparison.

IMG_0076.jpg

This is the setup: 

IMG_2816.jpg

• Like 1

Out of sheer boredom I have now got the easiest setup possible for this flat lay option. 

Camera is on the stand arm, Godox AD200 at 1/4 power with beauty dish and front baffle on the arm too, angled down at 45˚. On the top side of the frame I have one of the Godox TT600 units bouncing off the polystyrene board angled also at about 45˚. Power setting was at 1/16. Camera set to ISO 200, shutter 1/250, aperture f/13. 

I used the iPad as the monitor connected via the Olympus E-M1's wifi feature and triggered with Olympus Image Capture App. 

IMG_0082.jpg

This is the setup. 

Below is the image that came right out of the camera without a single thing done to it in post. 

IMG_0081.jpg

I came so very close to selling the product table recently because I just wasn't using it and it literally uses up about 1/6 of my office floor space, but taking off the perspex top has opened up a myriad of alternative uses for this very versatile piece of kit. I can clamp just about anything onto it and use it for almost anything.

I've ordered a laminate pine "butcher block" style top for it which I will hopefully get next week (the sawmill is having some electricity supply issues). I'm probably going to start making more YouTube videos for Fotozones as well as my client's online music shop (unboxing and product demos). 

Hopefully the work turns up for you to put that setup to good use.  

only one of those cds in my collection.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris. 

I changed it up a bit more yesterday for more head on type pack shots (following the way I usually shoot these) and it's just become a doddle now. No more need for a tripod or even a light stand with this product table and the Inka stand. I can position items into the shooting set without worrying about accidentally bumping anything out of alignment. 

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_0084.jpg

About the only thing I could find to photograph that presented a slight challenge. Not much done to it other than burning the background up by 4 stops in Lr and removing some spots on the label.

Regarding the CD's, the local pawn shop has been selling off their stock of late at ludicrous prices. I got all of those, plus another 3 for the grand total of about $1.50. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 12:14, Dallas said:

Regarding the CD's, the local pawn shop has been selling off their stock of late at ludicrous prices. I got all of those, plus another 3 for the grand total of about $1.50. 

But, sooner or later, you'll have to play them ... Mercy, Mercy !!!

.. 🙃😲🤑😝

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

18 hours ago, CarreraS said:

But, sooner or later, you'll have to play them ... Mercy, Mercy !!!

.. 🙃😲🤑😝

Oh Maurice, you're in for such a treat musically when I welcome you to Durban next year. I will have a playlist made up especially for you. :D 

Oh Lord .. should I have cancelled ? .. 🤢

• LOL 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com