GB111

Dawn at Joshua Tree

It's funny how we can take photos and not even process them for 7 years.

Joshua Tree California, 2013. It was a bit overcast but I was able to get something out of it via use of HDR.

A nice side story is here is put down my camera bag while hiking and paced a bit to get some shots, then couldn't find the bag. I eventually found it, but not until I spend about 20-30 min walking in circles and calling myself an idiot. A few years later I did the same in AZ, only much worse!  I will write on that one some other time.

DSC_3965_6_7_8_9_tonemapped_1800.jpg

• Like 3

So funny you should post this. I just yesterday was looking through my old Namibia safari images from 2013 and I also edited one taken in the Deadvlei that I hadn't published anywhere before. I'll share it here after this reply. :) 

Nice shot, by the way. 

It is scary how shots can be ignored like that, esp with digital photography!  They're free to take and we come home with hundreds or thousands - who has time to review them all?

On 25/06/2020 at 14:17, GB111 said:

A nice side story is here is put down my camera bag while hiking and paced a bit to get some shots, then couldn't find the bag. I eventually found it, but not until I spend about 20-30 min walking in circles and calling myself an idiot. A few years later I did the same in AZ, only much worse!  

I’ve done the same, stashing my backpack behind a rock for safety and then struggled to find that safe rock.

• LOL 1

18 minutes ago, Dallas said:

Chris, I do this with rental cars all the time. :D 

And airport car parks! 😀  There was a spell a few years ago when I was flying down to Hobart for day or two every week.  There was one day I got back into Melbourne, took the bus to the long term car park and then just couldn’t remember where I had parked.  What made it worse was I could find the spot I had parked in the week before and the week before that.  After that I started writing the location on my car park ticket.

• LOL 1

Posted (edited)

Hand-held GPS units like the Garmin 60-series are for more than just finding your way in untracked wilderness - put your bag down, immediately hit the "mark" button and even if you wander a mile from where your bag is, you'll be able to walk straight back to it. Works the same for parked cars. My Garmin 62s is getting on for 10 years old and is still going strong, acting as a nice security blanket for  my ageing memory functions.

Edited by Alan7140

1 hour ago, crowecg said:

And airport car parks! 😀  There was a spell a few years ago when I was flying down to Hobart for day or two every week.  There was one day I got back into Melbourne, took the bus to the long term car park and then just couldn’t remember where I had parked.  What made it worse was I could find the spot I had parked in the week before and the week before that.  After that I started writing the location on my car park ticket.

I did a job in Nelspruit a few years ago directly after a safari, so I was given this VW Polo rental (ubiquitous around airports). The airport at Nelspruit is small, but still took me about 15 minutes to find the rental after I had parked it in the normal lot when I went to pick up the client. Eventually the client found it by pressing the remote against his head (to boost the signal) and we saw the indicators flashing. Nowhere near where I thought I had parked. 🙄

On 24/06/2020 at 21:17, GB111 said:

It's funny how we can take photos and not even process them for 7 years.

Joshua Tree California, 2013. It was a bit overcast but I was able to get something out of it via use of HDR.

DSC_3965_6_7_8_9_tonemapped_1800.jpg

As a frequent 'photographic visitor' to the Southern California deserts, this is a shot I would have been pleased to have made.

Keith B.