Dallas

From 2005's Return To Nikon

This is a shot from around about the time I started Nikongear in 2005. I had just switched back from shooting Canon digital for about 4 years and after trading in all that gear I got myself the Nikon D70 and 70-200/2.8 VR. At the time I was still accredited as a photographer for the Sharks rugby team and this shot was from my first outing with the D70 at the stadium. Unfortunately I don't have the original digital files from anything I shot before 2009, but I did find an A4 print I had made of this shot of Sharks player Brent Russell, just before he scored a try. I recall that I had cropped the image quite significantly before printing it, so even from a lowly 6MP sensor we could get decent prints after cropping. I "scanned" the print with an iPhone. :) 

IMG_2732.jpg

A few months after this switch back to Nikon I started the website that has shaped the direction of my life ever since. 

• Like 2

Awesome shot!

People tend to regard themselves as great photographers if they own the best gear (cameras and lenses). 

The best equipment is the photographers eye and background.

• Like 1

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

12 hours ago, atpaula said:

Awesome shot!

People tend to regard themselves as great photographers if they own the best gear (cameras and lenses). 

The best equipment is the photographers eye and background.

Thanks Aguinaldo! 

Yes, you are quite right. I have met people who own every expensive lens and camera body there is but they couldn't shoot a decent photo to save their lives. It's quite sad, actually. These same people can't believe that I am still shooting with cameras that came out in 2013, or that I use a small sensor to do my work. For me, unless there is something being added to the photography proposition that I cannot do without, I will keep using what I have. 

That said, I do feel the need to upgrade to a more video capable camera body soon. I decided to stick with MFT as my format of choice mainly because the range of lenses and accessories available for the system is leading the pack right now. If things go well and we come out of this absurd situation we're in I will look at Olympus E-M1 Mk2 (not Mk3) on the second hand market. I might even look at E-M5 Mk 3, but here the price is so close to the E-M1 that it doesn't make a lot of sense. 

I scored maximum marks in a club competition last year using an A3 print taken with my old D70. I still use it from time to time but the leatherette (?) covering has now become very sticky rendering it very uncomfortable to hold.

• Like 1

Still trying.

Posted (edited)

Great shot Dallas - and +1 to what the others have said.

I wish there was an easy remedy to the sticky camera exterior syndrome.  The exterior stick on panels of modern cameras are in principle replaceable, but getting new ones to replace the sticky ones is easier said than done, since spare parts are only available for a short time after a particular camera model is discontinued.  And I haven't figured out how to stabilise the sticky panels either.  I also have a sticky D70s - otherwise it is still fully functional.  Shame.

On 16/06/2020 at 04:09, Clactonian said:

I scored maximum marks in a club competition last year using an A3 print taken with my old D70. I still use it from time to time but the leatherette (?) covering has now become very sticky rendering it very uncomfortable to hold.

Edited by Hugh_3170

57 minutes ago, Hugh_3170 said:

I wish there was an easy remedy to the sticky camera exterior syndrome.  The exterior stick on panels of modern cameras are in principle replaceable, but getting new ones to replace the sticky ones is easier said than done, since spare parts are only available for a short time after a particular camera model is discontinued.  And I haven't figured out how to stabilise the sticky panels either.  I also have a sticky D70s - otherwise it is still fully functional.  Shame.

I’ve got an old F70,  that I keep thinking about running a roll of film through, that has the same problem.  I don’t suppose simply ripping it off would work as it is probably just as sticky behind it.

Not sure Chris - if the underlying camera body of the F70 is sealed off to the outside world it should work. 

Bit risky though if the sticky exterior covers up holes etc that would let grim and moisture  into the body if they are removed.

We have a product here called Kleen Green which removes sticky stuff quite nicely. The coating on my a/c studio strobes also became very sticky for some strange reason, so I sprayed some of this stuff on a rag and while it was a bit of a chore to wipe the strobe down completely, it definitely did the job and the strobe is no longer sticky to the touch. I haven't done the other two yet... 

• Like 1

Thanks for this Dallas. 

I see that Kleen Green is a Wynns product and Wynns products are certainly available in the automotive accessories shops here in both OZ and also NZ.  I will go hunting. Thanks again.