So stands the new wall on the US-Mexico border. This was taken in Campo, CA on May 16 2020.

DSC_0061_Edit1_2000.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks btw, Dallas. I'm not sure I like it though.  There's something about it that bothers me: I want to see more, so that it tells a better story.

This is actually a problem I've had for awhile with my photography!  It seems like, when I go back and look at them, I always think my images should be either wider or more cropped in. It's like there's two completely different images there but I compromise and go for the middle, leaving the shot 'meh.'  Seeing if I can break out of that.

Gb

7 hours ago, GB111 said:

This is actually a problem I've had for awhile with my photography!  It seems like, when I go back and look at them, I always think my images should be either wider or more cropped in. It's like there's two completely different images there but I compromise and go for the middle, leaving the shot 'meh.'  Seeing if I can break out of that.

perhaps try leaving the mid range lens at home and just taking something wide or long.  I did once extract some data from my catalogue and found that I’m often shooting at the extremes of my zoom lenses, always wanting something wider or longer too.  Don’t stick to the stereotypes either - heading to the mountains, perhaps go long rather than wide.  

Chris - Thanks, interesting advice! I will try it... and try not to whine to myself that I don't have my favorite zoom lens :)  Will let you guys know how it goes. I will need to do expts.

I recognise the feeling of being (over) critical of your own images. Chris's suggestion is a good one, try avoiding the obvious (for you, maybe not for others ...) by different lens choices and/or aspect ratios. Btw; I like the posted image.

Thank you Luc. I know... sometimes I find myself snapping for the sake of it, taking obvious images that bring nothing new to the table. I think part of it is digital photography where the shots are essentially free. If I were shooting film - which is crazy exp now - then no way :)

Gb