Dallas

How Is Everybody Coping?

Throughout my professional career I was always advised to beware of statistics and indeed I have manipulated them to suit my own purposes many a time. I think the simple truth is that we are all fumbling around in the dark with this one. When the government advisers, worldwide, cannot agree, there is little point in us pontificating. Too many of the published statistics are mixing apples with oranges and governments being governments are never going to clarify or equalise those statistics. Frankly I think most governments are going to be damned if they do and damned if they don't with all of the suggested preventative measures. I'm just pleased I'm not in government.

I have simply made up my own mind on the precautions I'm going to take within the government dictates and as and when I feel safe to go out and mix with the public at large, holiday or fly, I will stick to my rules irrespective of any easing of lockdown or other measures.

• Like 1

Still trying.

Pretty much how I am going about things too, Mike. 

This government of ours though, is a living disgrace. These are evil people who are self serving. They have only their own interests at heart. The woman calling the shots from within their party (Nkosasana Dlamini-Zuma) is none other than the ex-wife of Jacob Zuma, who still has not been brought to book for a decade of corruption and state capture that has crippled this country. Why is there a ban on tobacco during lock down? Guess what her son’s primary business is: tobacco. And guess who’s brand of smokes is freely available on the black market? Yep. Edward Zuma, her’s and Jacobs son. 

Now they are using this virus as an opportunity to pull down the only functioning provincial government left in the country. I shouldn’t say this but if anything good can come from this pandemic let it be that all those in our government who deserve to get it, get it. Rotten bastards.  

• Dislike 1

I'm sitting here taking a break at formalizing the Lay-off/retrenchment of 50% of my staff, A big project lost to competition as everybody starts cutting prices to try stay alive, other clients cannot pay. Projections are that ZA have already lost 8% of GDP in the 60 days in Lock Down. And this in a country with more than 30% of people without jobs before the virus, and a lot of those with jobs are on weekly wages, one week into Lock Down and they are broke, no credit card, etc.

I dont have the answers, but trying to use first world remedies in a third world country does not always makes sense, especially if the current government has been implicit in robbing the economy broke during the last twelve years, but then in a democracy the voting public has to take responsibility for their choices.

All I know is Monday is not going to be nice having to look 12 people in the eye and tell them circumstances beyond control is taking there livelihood away.

• Sad 2

It is gut wrenching, Fanie. I don't think our friends overseas can begin to understand the complexities and sensitivities of the situation here politically and just how damaging this lockdown has been for the ordinary citizen. 

A lot of the people I know won't make it to July if they can't go back to work tomorrow. I don't know what to say to them either that could possibly give them a cheering up. I am doing my bit to try to help by offering to help them set up online stores at cost price for me, but then if there is no money in the economy for people to spend, what good will it do? 

• Like 1

The (almost) Deserted Village. Apologies to Oliver Goldsmith for stealing his title.

Bertrange, Luxembourg yesterday evening. The building at right is the Post Office.

Deserted Village.jpg

Detail from facade.

Bertrange Post Office.jpg

Regarding point 7 of the above linked article. 

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/can-i-smoke-level-3-proof-of-purchase-receipt-cigarettes-what-is-law-arrest-bheki-cele/

The South African government are a bunch of hopeless and inept criminals who should never have been allowed to contest an election in the first place. There's a special place in hell for this lot. 

Although not fully lifted, as from Friday we get our lives back in Tasmania - locked down longer and harder than most of the other Australian States, Tasmania has had no new cases for 18 straight days now, and there are only four active cases left, none of which were contracted locally (all from returning travellers who were immediately isolated and quarantined on arrival). So we're no longer limited in travel within the State (the 30km limit from primary residence for essential travel only  for the past few months was a bit inconvenient for me and effectively kept me from any of the main shopping centres), National Parks and reserves are open from 3pm Friday for overnight stays and camping  if desired, restaurants, pubs etc are only limited with social distancing requirements and certain numbers of people for a given area. The State's borders are still closed which is good, because  most other States have lifted restrictions earlier and have almost inevitably been recording new infections as a result.

So it was worth it in going early, going hard, and staying locked down for longer it would appear. What amazed me was just how enthusiastically the population embraced and adhered to the restrictions. Maybe the threat of expensive fines for breaches helped, but in reality very few fines were issued, and I never saw any breaches of social distancing either in my local area - everyone played along without groaning and moaning about it.

We would have, and did initially support the lockdown, but then it became apparent that it wasn't being done in a logical or sensible way. Instead we had cretinous politicians use the situation to impose an illogical prohibition on the population's freedom to purchase anything online, buy alcohol or cigarettes. Then, if that wasn't bad enough, the "top cop" began threatening the population like we were some sort of errant school kids. In fact the army went into one poor man's house and literally beat him to death for drinking. On his own property. The soldiers who perpetrated this murder have been cleared of any wrongdoing. 

If any member of the public is caught doing anything that goes against the "regulations" imposed by the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) they are summarily arrested and are forced to pay an admission of guilt fine. The moment anyone does that they receive a criminal record. In one particularly inept case, police in Cape Town arrested a set of parents who's toddler had run onto the sand of a beach they were walking next to during level 4 of the lockdown during exercise time. The police arrested both parents and their toddler. 

The net result of this type of "police state"" has the majority of saffers with functional brains seething and in many cases ready to revolt against the government. These are crimes against humanity and while the rest of the world deals with this problem in a sensible way, our lauded constitution has been superseded by the insane ramblings of a few Zuma cronies who it seems are intent on forcing us into a one party state. I think they may as well call it Gilead. 

1 hour ago, Alan7140 said:

everyone played along without groaning and moaning about it.

Same here, by and large.

Thank God.

2 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

So it was worth it in going early, going hard, and staying locked down for longer it would appear. What amazed me was just how enthusiastically the population embraced and adhered to the restrictions. Maybe the threat of expensive fines for breaches helped, but in reality very few fines were issued, and I never saw any breaches of social distancing either in my local area - everyone played along without groaning and moaning about it.

It has been a pretty miserable autumn weather wise, so that helps reduce the temptation to go out.  One task I had to keep me busy was getting my front fence painted - it ended up spreading out over nearly two months, trying to find a spell of good weather to make sure the wood was dry before a weekend of good weather to actually get some painting done.

A report on what is currently happening in South Africa under lockdown. FYI, Carte Blanche is a reputable independent investigative journalism entity. 

Some good news. I managed to avoid laying of staff for the time being. 

Government Unemployment Fund made a contribution towards the salaries of those that could not work during lock down, and got an order for some radomes to keep us busy for another two months. Medium term does not look so positive at the moment though.

• Applaud 1

1 hour ago, Fanie said:

Some good news. I managed to avoid laying of staff for the time being. 

Government Unemployment Fund made a contribution towards the salaries of those that could not work during lock down, and got an order for some radomes to keep us busy for another two months. Medium term does not look so positive at the moment though.

Good news. One day at a time.

12th June 2020 - Tasmania now has no active cases, and nil positive tests for nearly four weeks. While the borders are still closed there has been a greater easing of internal restrictions - in fact we've been told to "get off our couches" and travel about, go shopping, start working again.

If no further cases or positive tests happen in the next 4-6 weeks, all restrictions (other than Interstate travel) will be lifted. There is a deal being worked on with New Zealand (who also have no cases or positive tests) for flights between NZ and Tasmania should begin (after a 25-year lay-off) in order to stimulate some tourism between the two, and if it comes to fruition this might just be the impetus I need to go for a holiday in NZ if the flights are not over-priced (I suspect the airlines going to go for the deeper wallets in order to gain some revenue flowing again). :)

• Like 1

I got my first photography commission for real estate yesterday since the lockdown started on 27 March. What is particularly encouraging is that it is a brand new client and they had no qualms about paying upfront using my new ordering and payment gateway system. :) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dallas said:

I got my first photography commission for real estate yesterday since the lockdown started on 27 March. What is particularly encouraging is that it is a brand new client and they had no qualms about paying upfront using my new ordering and payment gateway system. :) 

Good luck, hopefully this is the start of the recovery for you.

• Like 1

Things have to turn around sooner or later. In Tasmania we've now done 40 days since the last case of Covid-19, and tomorrow restrictions get lifted to the penultimate 3rd stage where things are almost back to normal. That means my favourite cafe will be able to take seated customers as distancing in such places has been eased to two square metres per person from the previous four. Unfortunately I won't be able to partake in my favourite brew as a superventricular tachycardia (SVT) event saw me ambulanced off to hospital a week and a half ago, and the only suggested trigger seemed to be caffeine, so I'm now a member of the decaf (yuck!) fraternity for life. :(

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Alan, oh bugger.  I suffer from atrial fibrillation which I generally have under control and yes too much strong coffee and alcohol are triggers for me.  That phase of life I am afraid.  My thoughts, and those of others on this site I am sure, are with you with this.  Stay well.

2 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Things have to turn around sooner or later. In Tasmania we've now done 40 days since the last case of Covid-19, and tomorrow restrictions get lifted to the penultimate 3rd stage where things are almost back to normal. That means my favourite cafe will be able to take seated customers as distancing in such places has been eased to two square metres per person from the previous four. Unfortunately I won't be able to partake in my favourite brew as a superventricular tachycardia (SVT) event saw me ambulanced off to hospital a week and a half ago, and the only suggested trigger seemed to be caffeine, so I'm now a member of the decaf (yuck!) fraternity for life. :(

Edited by Hugh_3170
  • Like 1

Oh no, Alan. I hope you get well soon. Somebody I know posted a description on Facebook of decaf as being “joyless brown juice”. 

I am a bit concerned about @Mike G. He hasn’t been seen since the 9th of June and that is a worry. Hope he’s OK. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Hugh & Dallas. This SVT thing isn't really life-threatening if one takes steps with lifestyle to mitigate it, and I have no trouble giving up things when I feel that to be necessary (both cigarettes and alcohol haven't been a part of my life for 31 years and 13 years respectively, and caffeine has just joined company with them). As with most sudden changes, the difficulty will be in avoiding substituting with something else to fill the void. That's the only thing that worries me, because comfort food is just about all that's left to choose from, and I really don't want to gain weight.

Posted (edited)

Hello Alan, I wish you all the best with the SVT issue. If switching to decaf solves the problem that seems like a nuisance but  minor sacrifice for improving your health. Stay safe and healthy.

Edited by Luc de Schepper