Alan7140

Iso-selfie

Mirror selfie inspired by Isolation boredom of 67 year-old photographer taken with c.120 year-old camera and c.150 year-old Petzval lens. 😁

NgCBn8m.jpg

Feel free to add your own iso-selfies here. 😉

• Like 3

Your face is so vaguely familiar with the beard, Alan. Just can't put my finger on who you remind me of. 

This is my most recent selfie.  I need to make a new, friendlier one using corporate white because I think this mugshot might be scaring potential customers away! :D FYI, this is shot with the $200 Sigma 60mm f/2.8 Art lens for MFT. It is one of the sharpest lenses I own - click the image to see the full size. And I have not sharpened this at all. Incredible little lens.

Self-Portrait-Rembrandt.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dallas said:

Your face is so vaguely familiar with the beard, Alan. Just can't put my finger on who you remind me of. 

One of the comments on my FB page suggested Hannibal Lecter....😮😄

22 minutes ago, Dallas said:

Yikes! Mind you, there is a hint of Anthony Hopkins there. I think you look a little like one of my website clients though. 

You may well have stumbled on one of my relatives, of course - I was adopted before birth and I have no idea of that side of my history, other than my mother was Afrikaans who most probably came from Pretoria, although I was born at Sandringham in Jo'burg 7-1-53 and and surrendered immediately, as was common for newborns of unmarried mothers back then.

My most normal looking sort of selfie taken by someone else!

BBE50392-C7BE-4CEB-AF0F-8960EA73565F.thumb.jpeg.ad46052874d652fb60de080f677b313a.jpeg
The pub is called the Narrowboat on the Islington Canal.

• Like 3

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z7 - Nikkor Z 14-30, 24-70, 35, 50, 85, FTZ adapter 

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

3 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

You may well have stumbled on one of my relatives, of course - I was adopted before birth and I have no idea of that side of my history, other than my mother was Afrikaans who most probably came from Pretoria, although I was born at Sandringham in Jo'burg 7-1-53 and and surrendered immediately, as was common for newborns of unmarried mothers back then.

Not impossible, I suppose. The person I am thinking of is a white guy who converted to Islam after marrying an Indian woman. I don’t think he’s quite 60 yet, but definitely in his 50’s. 

I think I still have it somewhere, there is a very big embroidered Logo on the back, I also had a similar jacket but I believe that has gone!

The Nikon version only goes up to XL and so would not fit me. I  need a 2XL!

Mike Gorman

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

16 hours ago, Mike G said:

I think I still have it somewhere, there is a very big embroidered Logo on the back, I also had a similar jacket but I believe that has gone!

The Nikon version only goes up to XL and so would not fit me. I  need a 2XL!

But Mike, Mike, Mike!

You no longer use Fuji gear!

You Nikon Man you!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dallas said:

Not impossible, I suppose. The person I am thinking of is a white guy who converted to Islam after marrying an Indian woman. I don’t think he’s quite 60 yet, but definitely in his 50’s. 

Wow, that would be well within possibilities - my natural mother was 18 in 1953, and probably went on to another relationship and probably more children. However I'd lay London to a brick that no-one bar maybe her mother & father would know anything of my existence.

3 hours ago, vivionm said:

But Mike, Mike, Mike!

You no longer use Fuji gear!

You Nikon Man you!

Vivian, I haven't been a Fuji fanboy for ages now and if you look at my avatar you will see I have blacked out the Fuji name!

It seems Vivion I told a lie because the Fujifilm name is still there, oops sorry about that 🥵

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

30 minutes ago, Alan7140 said:

Wow, that would be well within possibilities - my natural mother was 18 in 1953, and probably went on to another relationship and probably more children. However I'd lay London to a brick that no-one bar maybe her mother & father would know anything of my existence.

This chap comes from an English speaking family, so probably not the same mother. I think his Mom passed away in Cape Town a few years ago. I'd ask him, but there's a problem getting hold of him lately. He hasn't been well for some time so his wife deals with all his communications. 

• Like 1

Here's today's selfie. I can't say it's an improvement. I appear to have expanded during house arrest... 

DALL0853.jpg

The setup was different to the way I normally do this type of image and I think I may have inadvertently stumbled on an easy way to do this for future clients who want white background headshots. Instead of using my popup background (which can be hazardous to the immediate environment when it suddenly springs open at 2m tall and 1.5m wide!) I thought I would experiment with my product table and light that. The distance to me sitting on the stool was perfect. I hit it with three lights, including the big 500W boomed job you can see in the setup image. The key light was that pop-up beauty dish with a diffuser sock on it and a polyboard to camera right. At first I was trying to use the Olympus Image Share app to do remote control, but with the 2 LTE modems in my office that was an exercise in absolute frustration so I eventually just pulled out a cable release and winged it.

Editing was done in Lightroom but I am not entirely happy with the skin tones. I look jaundiced, even though I have reduced the amount of yellow in the shot. I then also discovered that the Nik Silver EFEX plugin I have had for ages no longer works. Apparently I have to buy it again. Screw that... 

I have flipped the image so that it looks like what I see when I look in a mirror (because I know some of you might be wondering how that lighting turned out that way). :)  

IMG_2694.JPG

• Like 2

Dallas, Nik by Google is still available for download. Just click on Mac on https://www.photofacts.nl/fotografie/rubriek/software/nik-software-nu-volledig-gratis.asp (I'm pretty sure also available from other sources).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Iso-selfie after iso-haircut by my wife. Dallas, seems we share the same hairstyle 😀

Ahhh - haircuts, I remember those, although they stopped naturally for me well before any pandemic and isolation even threatened. Something to do with genes, I believe. :D :D 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

10 hours ago, Luc de Schepper said:

Iso-selfie after iso-haircut by my wife. Dallas, seems we share the same hairstyle 😀

Ahhh... wonderful! I think that this is the first time in 11 years that I have seen a photo of you, Luc! We certainly do have the same hairstyle, haha! However, I cut it myself with a Wahl trimmer and Nikki squares off the back for me. I use #2 for the sides and #3 for the top. I am way overdue at the moment, so will probably do it on the weekend. 

Alan, I can't believe the amount of hair I have lost in just the past 5 years, especially on the crown. If it worsens I will just go with the Yul Brunner look - although @Roland tells me that it is a lot of maintenance. :) 

• Happy 1

Here's a different one I did yesterday. I think I will use this one on my sites because I at least haven't cut off both shoulders (should have shot it in landscape mode). 

DALL0844-Edit.jpg

And thanks Luc for posting that link to the original free Nik collection. When I looked for it on my new Mac yesterday I realised it was gone so I went to their site to get it but now it isn't free anymore.