Jump to content
Anthony

The Blacksmith

Recommended Posts

Portrait of a demonstrator at the Black Country Outdoor Museum.

Despite appearances in this posed shot, he was a friendly and helpful person.

The main activity in this forge was making chains. In the olden days this forge would have been primarily used by a female chain maker, and situated in her back yard. The men did heavier work, but chain making was certainly very hard work.

20200229_Black Country_0035.jpg

20200229_Black Country_0044.jpg

20200229_Black Country_0070.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice environmental portraits. Maybe lift the shadows and increase the contrast a touch?


Still trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Clactonian said:

Nice environmental portraits. Maybe lift the shadows and increase the contrast a touch?

 

Thank you, Mike.

 

The shadows are already boosted quite a lot.  It was very dark in the forge, pretty much as you see in the photo.  I did not have a flash, but perhaps that would have changed the atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Anthony said:

 

Thank you, Mike.

 

The shadows are already boosted quite a lot.  It was very dark in the forge, pretty much as you see in the photo.  I did not have a flash, but perhaps that would have changed the atmosphere.

Then you have maximised the opportunity. I agree that a flash would have ruined the atmosphere unless you had a complex setup and all the time in the world to get the power levels right.


Still trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2020 at 09:45, Clactonian said:

Then you have maximised the opportunity. I agree that a flash would have ruined the atmosphere unless you had a complex setup and all the time in the world to get the power levels right.

 

 

Thanks, I was on a family visit, so no chance of any sort of setup!

 

I used the same technique as I use in a church, which is to make use of the (almost) ISO-less nature of the Fuji sensor (made by Sony).  This means I can shoot at a low ISO and then bring up the shadows in pp, and have the same quality of boost to the shadows as if I had shot at a high ISO.  The benefit of this is that it enables the highlights to be preserved.  I did not want to blow out the window, and I definitely wanted to capture the flames and the red hot metal.

 

I believe Nikon sensors are also made by Sony, so the same technique may be useful with Nikons.

 

The main downside is that the image is almost unusable for preview purposes without some initial exposure adjustment.  Here is the embedded jpeg included in the raw file with no adjustment applied.

20200229_Black Country_0035.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I believe Nikon sensors are also made by Sony, so the same technique may be useful with Nikons.

 

Is this not because Fujifilm is using an X-trans array? Sorry, I don't really keep up with these sorts of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting that I have found the same technique works best for me. The more recent crop of sensors seem to give a huge amount of latitude when it comes to post processing.

 

I can also sympathise with your situation with regard to family and friends accompanying you. Most of my travels are in the company of non-photographers, which in itself proves quite a challenge when trying get the right shot. We do suffer for our art!!


Still trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dallas said:

 

Is this not because Fujifilm is using an X-trans array? Sorry, I don't really keep up with these sorts of things. 

 

 

I don't think that this is exclusive to Fuji.  It is to do with the underlying electronics of the sensor, not whether the array is Bayer or X-Trans.  I am getting to the limits of my technical knowledge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.