Chris Wahl

Some Snowy Owls

I spend the turn of the years 19/20 in Casselman, Ontario to photograph Snowy Owls which are amongst my favourite birds.

We expected and hoped for loads of snow but there was very little of it and only for three days. It was great fun anyway and I got a few images I quite like.

Hope you enjoy them!

Chris

PS: More images here

#1 white on white with not too much contrast ... not to everybodies taste but I like it

2019-12-31-NIKON%20D4-Canada%202019-0476

#2 Peek-a-boo!

2020-01-01-NIKON%20D850-Canada%202019-09

#3 silent flight ... those owls fly directly in front of you only 1-2 meters away and you don't hear a single thing ... impressive and a bit scary

2020-01-02-NIKON%20D850-Canada%202019-14

#4 Those talons combined with silent flight ... I guess a mouse does not even realize that it's dead

2020-01-02-NIKON%20D4-Canada%202019-1327

#5 But even Snowy Owls do not always look elegant :)

2020-01-02-NIKON%20D850-Canada%202019-14

#6 But most of the time they do ...

2020-01-01-NIKON%20D850-Canada%202019-10

• Like 2
  • Applaud 1

Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

Awesome stuff.

#3 is the best for me.

Which gear you used?

Congrats.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

Nicely done Chris, and I agree about those talons, and their power. Once upon a lifetime ago as a kid I was gripped by a Barn Owl nestling, bloody painful!

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z7 - Nikkor Z 14-30, 24-70, 35, 50, 85, FTZ adapter 

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

Great set of shots.

Very nice. And that is an understatement. I cannot begin to tell you which I like best. I keep changing my mind.  I also went to your SmugMug page and viewed those, too. Thank you for posting these. And I am a little envious of you, too.

And totally unrelated (almost) I had an older Yup'ik (Eskimo) man ask me many years ago if I knew my "Eskimo name?" Of course, I had no idea I had such a thing, even though I had lived and worked in this area for maybe 20 years by the time I had this conversation. I laughed when he asked me.  Anyway, he pronounced the word for me, in Yup'ik, and said that it translated to "White Owl."  At the time I interacted with him most he was a board member of a private, non-profit agency I worked for (1986.) I had a medical problem that was sort of poorly controlled at the time, and my eyelids would not close, even at night as they were really bulging out.  I was a little irritated with him as I was so self-conscious of my appearance. So, a big white guy with bulging eyes: a White Owl. There are many other things they could have called me, and I did really like snow owls, so this name was not so bad.

• Like 1

Thank you very much everybody, glad you like the images!

19 hours ago, atpaula said:

Awesome stuff.

#3 is the best for me.

Which gear you used?

Congrats.

Thanks a lot Aguinaldo! I used the D4 and the D850; the 600 and the 200-400 ... a few times I also used the 70-200 but rarely ... all old school DSLR equipment :)

14 hours ago, Dallas said:

Very cool shots, Chris. Nice to see you posting again. :) 

My pleasure Dallas, I always post when I got new stuff :) Thanks for your kind words!

I just returned from a week of photographing arctic fox in the middle of nowhere. These will be my next posting but it will take a loooong time until the images are processed in a way that I like ...

10 hours ago, Mike G said:

Nicely done Chris, and I agree about those talons, and their power. Once upon a lifetime ago as a kid I was gripped by a Barn Owl nestling, bloody painful!

Thanks Mike! Being gripped by a Barn Owl must be extremely painful ... I can well resist that experience!

9 hours ago, Alan7140 said:

Great set of shots.

Thanks a lot Alan!

9 hours ago, waltonksm said:

Very nice. And that is an understatement. I cannot begin to tell you which I like best. I keep changing my mind.  I also went to your SmugMug page and viewed those, too. Thank you for posting these. And I am a little envious of you, too.

And totally unrelated (almost) I had an older Yup'ik (Eskimo) man ask me many years ago if I knew my "Eskimo name?" Of course, I had no idea I had such a thing, even though I had lived and worked in this area for maybe 20 years by the time I had this conversation. I laughed when he asked me.  Anyway, he pronounced the word for me, in Yup'ik, and said that it translated to "White Owl."  At the time I interacted with him most he was a board member of a private, non-profit agency I worked for (1986.) I had a medical problem that was sort of poorly controlled at the time, and my eyelids would not close, even at night as they were really bulging out.  I was a little irritated with him as I was so self-conscious of my appearance. So, a big white guy with bulging eyes: a White Owl. There are many other things they could have called me, and I did really like snow owls, so this name was not so bad.

Thank you so much Walton for your kind words! This is a wonderful story about your "Eskimo name". There are certainly worse names than "male snowy owl". I would feel quite honored by that. Thanks for sharing that memory with us, much appreciated!

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

These are beautiful, Chris.

Thank you Anthony, I hope you are doing fine!

again thanks everybody and take care!

• Like 1

Beautiful work, Chris !

Here's one I actually flew on a very special day at the International Centre for Birds of Prey ..

_ACT9180_Nik.thumb.jpg.b4801f9881812933034105f11be8aff4.jpg

Yes, that's good old British rain .. was fantastic to have a raptor like this on your wrist inches from your face ! This was an Owl Day, I've done a Falcon Day also.

There was a Condor there they had raised and were training, but not widely available ! They have done a lot of international work with Vultures, and ended up recovering what could be recovered after a Customs seizure of an egg smuggler en route to a Middle Eastern state via Heathrow ..

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Oh my! I would love to interact with birds of prey like that!

Thanks Maurice! Glad you like the images ...

Being so close to those magnificent birds (captive or in the wild) is s.th. that burns into your heart and soul and won't be forgotten. I am sure it was a great experience, thanks for sharing!

Cheers and take care

Chris

PS: Egg smugglers ... I hope that I never meet people like that ... can't guarantee that I would not freak out ...

You can see the ba$tard here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46828326

I was told some eggs had hatched in transit ! It appears to have been a long established family business  .. 🤢

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Stunning and enjoyable at the same time.  You captured amazing variety of the forms that this beautiful raptor shows.  Thank you for sharing!

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

On 20/03/2020 at 13:09, CarreraS said:

You can see the ba$tard here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46828326

I was told some eggs had hatched in transit ! It appears to have been a long established family business  .. 🤢

cheers, Maurice

I sincerely hope that I never meet this person ... I just don't get it ... what a 🤮

23 hours ago, Akira said:

Stunning and enjoyable at the same time.  You captured amazing variety of the forms that this beautiful raptor shows.  Thank you for sharing!

Akira, thank you very much for your kind words :) I hope all is well on your side!

Cheers

Chris

On 21/03/2020 at 22:58, Chris Wahl said:

Akira, thank you very much for your kind words :) I hope all is well on your side!

Cheers

Chris

Thank you, Chris!  I would say I'm more concerned about the current situation in Europe.  Hope you stay safe!

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Akira, the situation in Germany is not as dramatic as it is in e.g. Italy or Spain ... Folks are basically complying to the rules (social distancing etc.) which helps a lot. There are always idiots but that's normal.

I guess given the current degree of globalization we all have to take care and contribute as good as we can no matter where we are based.

Personally I am doing well, it does however feel spooky ... almost nobody in the streets, shops closed etc.

Take care!

Chris

• Like 1

I can't add anything to what has already been said, except to say I agree.

1 hour ago, Mebyon K said:

I can't add anything to what has already been said, except to say I agree.

Thank you Christopher, much appreciated :)

MIke, not pretty but impressive and like in real life I'd rather take personality than cuteness ...

And your Condor is even nicely framed :)

• Like 1