vivionm

Corona Virus

In Luxembourg, in terms of proportion of population, the situation is the same as in Italy two weeks ago.

With many cases in Belgium, France and Germany and 60,000 people from those countries coming into Luxembourg to their jobs every morning, (by train and car) things could get very bad very quickly.

Stop press: The first case in a person living in France and working in Luxembourg has just been confirmed.

Five here in New Zealand (where I am at present; two are a husband and wife case). 

A grizzly league table:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

As I mentioned in the safari zone, I believe that this is yet another exacerbated media frenzy. There is a very low mortality rate from this virus yet the mainstream media continue to be the harbingers of doom, causing widespread panic and alarm. This has already begun to take a huge economic toll as can be seen in world markets. I'm personally feeling the impact with one safari already postponed and a fairly major photography job (ironically a GP conference) cancelled as a result.

In all honesty I believe that there are dark and sinister forces at play here, besides the virus itself. 

10 minutes ago, Dallas said:

In all honesty I believe that there are dark and sinister forces at play here, besides the virus itself. 

Do you have evidence for this, or is it just an unsubstantiated belief?

As of this morning, the mortality rate in Italy is more than 5 percent.

This is not insignificant. It is about double the mortality rate for most strains of the influenza virus.

Have you been listening to the Donald again, Dallas ? .. 😲

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

The day I listen to any politician is the day you will know that my body has been snatched by aliens. 

Even if the mortality rate is 10% from the virus it will pale in comparison to the outbreak of civil unrest, which is surely just around the corner. When you can’t buy your essential goods because you are not allowed outside, how long will it take to break ranks and for anarchy to ensue? I can assure you it won’t take long at all. 

More people die on the world’s roads every day than from this virus. Has any country stopped road travel because of it? What we are witnessing now is unbridled paranoia, fueled entirely by the Mainstream media. It’s ridiculous and outright evil. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, vivionm said:

As of this morning, the mortality rate in Italy is more than 5 percent.

This is not insignificant. It is about double the mortality rate for most strains of the influenza virus.

Remember, Italy has the 2nd oldest average population in the world. I don’t think the same thing is likely to apply everywhere. What they are doing now by shutting down the whole country is going to be much worse for everybody.

Yes, I am aware of Italy's demographic structure.

Of course the impact will not be the same in all countries.

27 minutes ago, Dallas said:

More people die on the world’s roads every day than from this virus. Has any country stopped road travel because of it? 

The analogy with road travel is not valid. 

Most road accidents are caused by human error and are avoidable.

The crucial and difficult decision for governments is to strike the right balance between reducing the mortality rate from this virus and minimising damage to economic activity.

This decision is cultural as much as anything else and will vary from country to country.

In my view many governments succumb to pressure from the media when it is applied to events like this. I have been listening to so called journalists on most major news platforms piling on the blame game when interviewing authority figures and putting them in very uncomfortable positions (unnecessarily so).

When you have a very large global population of idiots, who are all connected instantly nowadays, the tinder is set and all it needs is a spark like this virus to set fire to a massive economic and social meltdown. The media these days are no longer reporters, they are influencers and they feed off of this stuff like a snake that eats itself. 

May I prescribe a subscription to Private Eye ? Then you'll know exactly what is going on .. 😎

I'm just off to play badminton with a Chinese chap who's just returned from Honk Kong .. 😲

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

12 minutes ago, CarreraS said:

I'm just off to play badminton with a Chinese chap who's just returned from Honk Kong

Please don't break any limbs... ;) 

I just wish the effing media would stop picking on us diabetic old people!

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 14-30, 24-70, 35, 50, 85, FTZ adapter 

GX8 - Panasonic 20, 25

I have not had much sleep in the past 48 hours. On Monday morning I woke up at about 3am for no apparent reason. Couldn’t get back to sleep. Last night at the stroke of midnight our power was cut for two hours because of the “load shedding” we are being forced to endure again as a result of the corrupt and ineffective “government” of this country. I can’t sleep if the fan isn’t blowing, so I have been awake since it went out. My neighbourhood is on its 5th two hour outage for the week at the moment.

So, right now If I could force feed covid-19 to the elected plonkers running this country I would do so with gay abandon. 

Here’s how I remain productive during the power cuts. 

862C0747-1D5E-4EF0-86FF-34613C8801CE.jpeg

• Like 1

It was just reported that actor Tom Hanks tested positive for coronavirus.

2 hours ago, blurmagic said:

It was just reported that actor Tom Hanks tested positive for coronavirus.

Yep, I read that. He's in Australia at the moment. US has suspended travel from Europe to US for 30 days. Local currency is tanking, currently touching ZAR17:US$1. The next month is going to be crucial to ascertain what is going to happen. 

In my honest opinion, the fallout from panicked reactions to this virus are going to be more detrimental to society at large than the virus itself. Economies of many countries are on the brink as it is. If food supply is threatened in developing nations all hell is about to break loose. 

There are surely better ways of dealing with this than what we are seeing from any government at the moment. Perhaps the end times are upon us? 

Most developed countries are following the advice of the World Health Organisation.

In MY honest opinion, as a non-expert, this is probably the best course of action.

Now that is a really very inconvenient truth Dallas - but a truth it most certainly is and sadly it is something that the media is quite silent about.

On 11/03/2020 at 01:16, Dallas said:

More people die on the world’s roads every day than from this virus. Has any country stopped road travel because of it?

• Like 1

Again, most road traffic accidents are due to human error and are avoidable. The analogy is false.

OK, let's break this down so that the actual impact of massive event cancellations can be grasped.

Starting with the Olympic Games in Tokyo this year. Those games have been in planning for over 8 years. An enormous amount of money has been spent on preparations for competitors, spectators, suppliers (from the kit to the food), advertising campaigns, television rights, travel agencies, etc, etc. What the world leaders fail to understand when they just arbitrarily declare public gatherings as too dangerous is that there is not just one big loser when an event like that gets cancelled. Medium sized and small businesses are sub-contracted in to provide most of the services at major events. The people who own those businesses don't get paid when things get cancelled, and if they don't get paid, neither do their employees. That means there is less disposable income coming into the economy. When people stop spending economies begin to recede and in this instance there will be a massive retardation of the global economy. It's already happening. I was disgusted to read Lewis Hamilton's cocky remarks about the non-cancellation of the Australian GP this weekend. It's very easy for him and his enormous ego to go and wait this out while reclining on his yacht in Monaco (or wherever he chooses to evade public contact). He can afford to lose a few years income. Most people I know can't afford to lose even a week's pay. 

The US has now stopped inbound travel from Europe. Can you begin to even imagine the knock on effect this is going to have on those airlines and all the businesses they help to keep afloat? Car rental companies, hotels, restaurants, tour guides, air freight, etc. Everybody will be more hurt by this than they will if they happen to contract a virus that is killing a number of immunity compromised humans. It would be FAR more effective for governments to deal with the treatment of those who do contract this virus than to try and stop it from spreading using these extreme measures. I am not an expert on medical matters but I have been told by more than one medical doctor that humans have to build up immunity to some viruses. Trying to stop them from spreading isn't going to help our survival cause in that regard. 

And if death is what governments are trying to mitigate then ALL manner of deaths is relevant, including those resulting from human error. If there is an outbreak of war as a result of this will those deaths not count?