Dallas

New Cameras From Nikon, Canon & Olympus

Nikon have released the D6, Olympus has released the OM-D E-M1 Mk 3 and Canon have also just announced an EOS R5 professional grade mirrorless camera that is under development. 

I don't follow the Nikon world much these days but am interested to hear what the users think of that release. Is it a worthwhile upgrade to the D5? Does it make you want to stay with DSLR tech, or will you rather move across to mirrorless? 

On the Olympus side of things it doesn't look like there is anything new being released, because the E-M1 Mk 3 is basically an E-M1X in a smaller body (thank goodness they came to their senses!).

The Canon R5 announcement however, sees a pretty major advance for them with the inclusion of IBIS in the range for the first time. They are also talking about it being able to shoot in 8K for video. I'm sure the video guys will be keen on that but for me personally I am quite happy watching 1080p video because I can't really tell the difference between it and 4K. 8K seems like a pointless technology to me. 

What are your thoughts on the way cameras are going these days. 

Of all the videos I have watched about the new Olympus E-M1 this is probably the most sensible (meaning the maker actually talks about things that are important to users of the camera). 

The Nikon D6 has improved AF, a GPS,  and new battery (!!!). It is made for sports photographers and in my opinion, not very revolutionary.

I think the Nikon D5 is my last DSLR.

I'll definitivelly move to mirrorless.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

4 minutes ago, Dallas said:

I have been reading that it is the same battery as the D5 - not the case? 

The D5 has the EN-EL18a and the D6 has the EN-EL18c.

I think they have the same dimensions. Not sure if there is any incompatibility.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

New stuff from Fuji due in a few days too!

On 14/02/2020 at 13:36, atpaula said:

The D5 has the EN-EL18a and the D6 has the EN-EL18c.

I think they have the same dimensions. Not sure if there is any incompatibility.

There is a note on the camera specs ..

⁴ EN-EL18b/EN-EL18a/EN-EL18 batteries can also be used. Note, however, that fewer pictures can be taken on a single charge with an EN-EL18 than with an EN-EL18c/EN-EL18b/EN-EL18a.

I use the Patona EL18 chinese made equivalent in the grips of the 850 / 500 .. work really well & 2600 mAh !

Over £6K for the D6 .. ?? No way !! I'll keep my D850 / D500 / Z7 for a while, I think .. covers most of my bases well !

Dallas, there's an architectural photographer here that writes reviews / tech articles .. you might like some of them e.g. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/teleconverters-and-shift-lenses/

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

2 hours ago, CarreraS said:

Dallas, there's an architectural photographer here that writes reviews / tech articles .. you might like some of them e.g. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/teleconverters-and-shift-lenses/

Very good material! Thanks for the share.