Michael Erlewine

In Praise of the Voigtlanders

Over time, in day-to-day and actual use, I continue to be impressed by Voigtlander lenses. And I keep acquiring more and more of these Cosina/Voigtlander beauties, now made in Japan. That simple fact is they hold up in several ways, and I find myself reaching for them more of the time.

They are wonderfully made, many are very well corrected, even worth calling APO, sharp, and aside from classics like the 125nn APO-Lanther f/2.5, are relatively inexpensive. Each one is kind of a precious package. I don’t have all of them because some are not lenses I use a lot for my work, but here are some of the ones I actually use, and the ones I use the most are marked with an asterisk.

125 ** Voigtlander  125 F/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar  

010 ** Voigtlander Heliar-Hyper Wide 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical Lens for Sony E

090 ** Voigtlander  APO_Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 SL

021   Voigtlander Nokton 21mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Sony E

040    Voigtlander  40mm Ultron f/2.0 SL II      

050 ** Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 50mm f/2 Aspherical Lens for Sony E

058    Voigtlander  58mm f/1.4 Nokton      

065 ** Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm f/2 Aspherical Lens for Sony E

090    Voigtlander  90mm f/3.5 SL II with Close-Up Lens

110 ** Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm f/2.5 Lens for Sony-E

180 ** Voigtlander 180mm  APO f/4     

Photo taken today using the Nikon Z7 with the Voigtlander 110mmMacro APO-Lanthar f/2 and the TechArt TZE-01 adapter

_Z7F4726-2-CV110-777.jpg

Edited by Michael Erlewine
  • Like 1

Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, SpiritGrooves.net, DharmaGrooves.com

Lovely photo!

I've owned all of the above lenses except for the newer ones in the Sony E mount.

The one you didn't list is actually my favorite - the 75mm f/2.5 color heliar.  That lens has the best colors of any lens I've ever owned that didn't have a little red dome on it (aka Leica).  This lens is nearly impossible to find without "balsum separation".   I've owned 5 copies of it and they all had lens separation.

Edited by blurmagic

I don't have the "color healer" because I am a close-up photographer and it is a little too long for me.

Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, SpiritGrooves.net, DharmaGrooves.com

I have their 21 and 25 in Nikon S mount which I use on my Nikon SP and S3 rangefinders as well as my Voigtlander R2S body.

Very nice lenses.

Robert 

I shoot film. That's film. F...i....l....m. You remember film don't you? It was in all the papers.

Mine is a gem which predates almost anything to do with colour (240mm f4,5 Heliar, 1906) ;)

2oY1meD.jpg

It also betters by a good margin all the other antique lenses I've tried on my half plate and whole plate cameras, including a 1935 Carl Zeiss Tessar.

Edited by Alan7140
  • LOL 1

So nice to see this old timer back in action under your capable hands and  rescued from its fate somewhere in a collectors dusty glass cupboard!

I will wager that it must be one of the oldest Voigtlander lenses still in any form of use anywhere.  

• Like 1