crowecg

More Old Melbourne

Another one of the Old Melbourne Series.  This is the original from the State Library collection, dated around 1858.  You can just make out the water fall that was the reason for Melbourne's location - fresh water above the falls and access to the bay and onto the ocean below the fall.  A little time later some one had the cleaver idea of dynamiting the falls so they could get boats further up river, but so could the salt water from the bay.  By 1890, the construction of Queens Bridge restricted the height of vessels travelling any further upriver.

DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_func=stream&d

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/208198

The new shot...

49457475726_2db06c1040_o.jpg

New Yarra 

Probably a little too far to the left from the original, but there is now a flower bed, flagpole and railway viaduct that make creating a good copy difficult.

Edited by crowecg
Adjusting image links
  • Like 3

On 29/01/2020 at 15:20, Dallas said:

Wow, what a contrast. One can only wonder what it would look like 100 years from now.

I think there will be changes in just a few years.  I know there are plans for more towers behind the exhibition centre in the centre of the picture - there are at least two already under construction.

Too many dammed towers - Melbourne is becoming a dark city in many streets due to the shadows cast by these monsters - just like Sydney has been for many years.  In fact there are some spots in Sydneys streets that no longer get any sun on them.  Crazy!

19 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Too many dammed towers - Melbourne is becoming a dark city in many streets due to the shadows cast by these monsters - just like Sydney has been for many years.  In fact there are some spots in Sydneys streets that no longer get any sun on them.  Crazy!

I think Melbourne won’t quite be as bad as Sydney - I think Melbourne’s CBD streets are generally a bit wider and with the regular grid pattern, they will be around 15 minutes every day when the sun shines along the length of the street (perhaps except the east-west streets in the depths of winter).  

it’s also spreading to South Melbourne/ Port Melbourne - there are two towers under construction out past the exhibition centre and another couple due to start soon nearby.

I lived in Melbourne from late '60s 'til '74, and I don't recognise much ! Is that on the south side of the river looking towards Flinders St Station ?

cheers, Maurice

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

4 hours ago, CarreraS said:

I lived in Melbourne from late '60s 'til '74, and I don't recognise much ! Is that on the south side of the river looking towards Flinders St Station ?

cheers, Maurice

Other way round, north side of the river looking west, so Flinders is behind me.  It is the old boat turning circle, just below Queens Bridge.  The river is probably the only thing in that view that would have been a recognizable landmark around that time.