Dallas

Challenge: Old

I'm challenging you Fotozoners with working cameras to go out and make a photograph of something older than you, but that you photographed after the date of this post. 

For now I am keeping this as an open challenge, but I may at some point close it and choose a winner.

Prize? Maybe, maybe not. :) 

• Like 1

I'm in.

Is there a deadline?

• Like 1

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

Not at the moment. Let's get some momentum going - I'm thinking maybe once it reaches a certain number of entries I will close it, but for now it's open. :) 

Have I set the bar too high, folks? Come on, this should be fun. I will try and get a shot in myself in the next few days. 

7 hours ago, Dallas said:

Have I set the bar too high, folks? Come on, this should be fun. I will try and get a shot in myself in the next few days. 

I'll try it in the next few days too. 

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

(Dr. House)

Patience....

Since I have been asking for competitions here, I should probably enter.

I call this "Symmetry Failure". What were they thinking?

The building is older than my 73 years. I took the photo yesterday, in the rain.

OOOPS no photo

Here's the photo

Symmetry Failure.jpg

• Like 1

This wasn't meant to be for this topic - I had found that the lens on the old 1870's Scovill whole plate camera had an epic light leak when out in broad daylight, and yesterday, after some creative flocking and making a sleeve for the rear of the lens barrel I went into the paddock behind my place to try the repair out, the subject matter of which I then realised comprised nearly 100% of stuff that was older than I am.

The Oak tree I know to have been planted as a sprouting acorn on the 17th of January 1881, which is the day the new school for the area was dedicated and as was the custom back then, the oak being the "Tree of Knowledge", or some-such. This spreading oak now covers almost a third of the property and has a substantially larger footprint than both the two-classroom school and the three bedroom headmaster's house it shares the ground with.

It further occurred to me that the camera I was using was also contemporary with both the school and the oak, it being made around that time (give or take a year or two); and the lens itself, although unbranded and being a Petzval design of around 180mm f/5.6 (without conventional f/ stop markings but apertures simply marked 1 through 5) most probably is even a bit earlier than that.

OK, the lens circle doesn't cover whole plate at this sort of focus distance, but for the portrait use it was meant for it covers it comfortably. L left the cutoff in shot as I didn't think it was all that detrimental in effect.

So there it is, the shot shows that I have fixed the light leak (and I have attached the first photo anyway just to demonstrate that I wasn't kidding when I said "epic light leak), but there you are, the subject matter and the camera all predate my birth by around 72 years or so. 😄

d2WrE9f.jpg

6AWyenr.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! That certainly fits the bill for  “old”.

Very busy lately and now it is raining a lot around here.

I hope to post a picture here soon.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

(Dr. House)

Uxbridge Underground Station, built in 1904 and remodelled in the 1930s

Uxbridge.thumb.jpg.9786175a1f4a3ef5e60cdf41a1fc6ab5.jpg

Definitely older than me!

• Like 1

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70, 35, 85, FTZ adapter 

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Panasonic 15, 20, 25, - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100

I've just been mauled by the osteopath, but I'll find something way older than me .. my house, even, or an oak tree .. give me a day or manana !

Hey, this is pretty old .. Stone carving (a Corbel) of dancers on the Church of St Mary & St David at Kilpeck, Herefordshire .. completed 1134 AD  😎 ! D3 / 300 f2.8 @ f8

1053374569_A2Dancers.thumb.jpg.485ba0a91d19e69055cfbd70fe4ad279.jpg

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

Very interesting challenge.  I'm enjoying the posts so far!

I haven't had chances to take any pictures for the challenge but want to join soon!

• Like 2

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Farolito de Macaé (old beacon on the harbour entrance of my town). From 1880.

Taken today.

Nikon Df & 8-15mm fisheye.

aDFC_7155_zpsxjcvacti.jpg

• Like 2

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

(Dr. House)

Had a brief trip to Sydney and managed to find a brief interlude in the torrential rain - unfortunately not during daylight 🤨

49514274867_6d7bf67031_o.jpg

Hall at night - one of the buildings making up the University of Sydney quadrangle.  I this one dates back to the early days of the 20th Century, although it is styled to look much older.

• Like 1

What I have decided to do to foster a bit more community spirit here is sponsor a prize of a $25 book voucher for the image that best tells the story of "Old". I would like a minimum of 10 entries before choosing a winner, so let's get busy here. If you have already submitted a shot feel free to submit a few more. I will choose a winner once we get to 10 and send that person a book of their choice up to the value of $25 from their preferred online store. :)