Dallas

Recommendation for external SSD?

Question

What's the general opinion on 1TB external SSD drives? I am going to invest in one to run my Lr catalogs and current year's work. I'm looking at Samsung, Western Digital and possibly SeaGate but open to community recommendations. Oh yes, has to be USB-C now that I have a new Mac. :) 

13 answers to this question

I have been using a GDrive 2TB mobile USB C drive successfully for about a year now, not the fastest drive in the world but it’s OK!

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70, 35, 85, FTZ adapter 

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Panasonic 15, 20, 25, - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100

Just now, Mike G said:

I have been using a GDrive 2TB mobile USB C drive successfully for about a year now, not the fastest drive in the world but it’s OK!

But not SSD I guess Mike?

Luc, thanks for pointing that out, oops. Please ignore my suggestion! 
Now I remember buying 2TB instead of a 1TB SSD on capacity grounds sorry everybody!😱

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70, 35, 85, FTZ adapter 

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Panasonic 15, 20, 25, - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100

47 minutes ago, Luc de Schepper said:

I also had a Samsung 1TB SSD in my MacBook which worked perfect for about 4 years.

Did it malfunction Luc? I thought these SSD's were impervious to that? 

42 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Luc, thanks for pointing that out, oops. Please ignore my suggestion! 
Now I remember buying 2TB instead of a 1TB SSD on capacity grounds sorry everybody!😱

No worries, Mike. I have about 11TB in external spinning drives connected to my various Macs. I want to use a decent size SSD for speed of access to the Lr catalogs and also to call up the files. Work older than a year that I want to keep I will simply store on the cheaper externals but leave them unplugged until I need them. 

On 17/01/2020 at 16:34, Dallas said:

What's the general opinion on 1TB external SSD drives? I am going to invest in one to run my Lr catalogs and current year's work. I'm looking at Samsung, Western Digital and possibly SeaGate but open to community recommendations. Oh yes, has to be USB-C now that I have a new Mac. :) 

I've been using the Samsung T5 external SSD USB-C drive on two safaris now, and its been (very) fast and reliable. Touch wood, I have a Samsung Evo internal running W10 in this (my email / web) machine, and a Liteonic 250, samsung 750 Evo and 1 TB Evo in my processing machine (Dell Precision 7610 Xeon, 64GB RAM, blah, blah .. ) So far not a single failure, but I've never had a reall HDD failure either even in two NAS .. must be my mechanical / electronic empathy !

Have to say they are given a life expectancy in # of writes IIRC, but so are HDD in # of seeks IIRC !

I did have a fuse blow on my mid range Borbely Millenium class A amplifier tonight, not to mention 3 Hypex SMPS600N400 failures in the last 3 months, so life's not all rosy .. 😎

cheers, Maurice

• Like 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com

I've been using Sundisk 256GB SSD as C drive of my main machine for almost three years.  I perform TRIM once or twice per month using Sundisk SSD Dashboard (the official maintenance software).

According to the software, the currently remaining life is 90%.  So, roughly 3% per year, if that would offer some food for thought.

If you use it just for the storage, the operation should be less burdensome.

• Like 1

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Thanks everyone. I have narrowed it down to the SanDisk Extremes and the Samsung T5. I guess it will come down to price between the two. 

8 hours ago, CarreraS said:

I did have a fuse blow on my mid range Borbely Millenium class A amplifier tonight

Were you listening to that Alpine yodelling stuff? ;) 

10 hours ago, Dallas said:

Were you listening to that Alpine yodelling stuff? ;) 

Nah, didn't get that far, it blew on turn-on .. not too unusual, as there are massive capacitors in the power supply, and the inrush current on turn-on dims the lights ! Even with 'soft-start' bridge rectifiers .. 😲

• Grimmace 1

"Wild things are always faster"

from 'Two Dogs' by Philip Hodgins

Wild-Things@btconnect.com

www.Wild-Things-Photography.com