crowecg

New Year Fire Works

New Years fireworks at Warrnambool in the southwest of Victoria.  Shot from a similar location as some of the seaside sunset series.  In fact sunset #4 was while waiting for them to start.

49371441073_c9d686dfa8_o.jpg

FW#1

49371440133_ea4ae10ab9_o.jpg

FW#2.  With the sun having only just set about 30 minutes beforehand, the sky was still quite light.  (Don't worry, these were the early 'family' fireworks, not the midnight ones).  Perhaps watching from the other end of town might have given a darker sky.  The lighter sky makes you realise how much smoke is produced by fireworks - something that is perhaps not so obvious in darker conditions.  

49372099122_4900022343_o.jpg

FW#3

49371891396_d7d84eb998_o.jpg

FW#4 

All shot with X-E3 and 55-200.  I was quite impressed with the IS of the 55-200 as these are all handheld with shutter speeds between 1/8 and 1/30 of a second.

23 hours ago, Dallas said:

Sky looks very light for NYE. Did you process these to lift shadows a lot?

No post on these other than a crop on some of them.  It was that light - sun had set around 8:55 and fireworks kicked off at 9:30.  As mentioned I was shooting towards where the sun had set, so the last bit of sky to get dark.

On 14/01/2020 at 23:10, Dallas said:

Oh, I see. Fireworks here typically get set off at midnight.

They do have the midnight fireworks too, but a lot of places in Australia will also do an early family friendly display.