Mike G

Gobbledegook Sign

To the naked eye this electronic sign makes perfect sense and was easily read.
However when I chimped the photo what you see is what I got, and as you can see it is now unreadable!
I assume it has something to do with the shutter speed used, but I’m not sure. I think it might have been an warning regarding to beware of falling into the lock.
P1001371.thumb.jpg.57450387ae551d1d02f2ff03fe602cfd.jpg
G9 + Lumix G 35-100mm @ 1/2500 f4 ISO200 

Mike Gorman

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70, 35, 85, FTZ adapter 

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Panasonic 15, 20, 25, - 8-18, 12-35, 12-60, 35-100

Probably shutter speed. Were you using electronic shutter at all? Sometimes when I used to do events I would experience a similar weirdness when shooting towards projected screens or those giant LCD's. 

No it was mechanical, two thoughts I’ve seen on this one says a very fast SS, the other is to use a slow SS so that the display goes through its refresh cycle so as to display the complete message!

Hey Ho.

Mike Gorman

Mike,

This happens because the refresh rate of the sign is about the same as the shutter speed used.

These signs flicker on and off several times per second. The human brain, being very clever, interpolates to fill the gaps when the sign is off, thus giving us the impression that the sign is on all the time. The camera brain, being much less clever, does not do this and may catch the image when the sign is off.

A similar phenomenon occurs when we watch a movie at the cinema. The film is composed of multiple still images (16 per second), but we perceive it as a moving image.

I once took a photo in Times Square NY, with its multiple neon signs. More than half of the signs showed up blank in the photo.

• Like 1

The trouble was the ship was traversing the lock and so was on the move, so meaning I wasn’t able to muck around with the camera settings, others have told me to reduce the SS to around 1/25 second to allow a complete cycle of led on/off sequences. I won’t be able to try that sign again for several years! 😯

Mike Gorman

Mike did the Schnapps affect this Snap by any chance? LOL

Actually I find your canal and river journeys interesting.  Perhaps I need to get on the big silver bird and come over to Europe and do such a trip for myself.

In the meantime, have a safe and pleasant festive season and a great year ahead in 2020.  Likewise all others within the  FZ ecosphere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hugh_3170 said:

Mike did the Schnapps affect this Snap by any chance? LOL

Actually I find your canal and river journeys interesting.  Perhaps I need to get on the big silver bird and come over to Europe and do such a trip for myself.

In the meantime, have a safe and pleasant festive season and a great year ahead in 2020.  Likewise all others within the  FZ ecosphere.

Hugh, no but the odd glass of Riesling might well have done😊

Mike Gorman