Noct

Lightroom for iPad

The latest version of Lightroom for iPad, in combination with iOS 13, makes it possible to import photos from a memory card (or connected camera) directly; without the hassle of going through the camera roll first.

All over sudden the iPad is now a much more practical and viable backup and editing device for travel, without having to bring a laptop. And with the right settings in Lightroom Classic, photos will automatically transfer to Lightroom Classic when arriving home again. Nifty!

• Like 1

On my recent holiday to Cape Town I took an iPad Pro 11” instead of my laptop and using a dock connected to an external HDD I was able to transfer all my images from my SD cards to the HDD. The only downside to this is that when you are doing a Card dump you don’t see any progress indicators like you do in MacOS, so it can be a little bit tricky to manage. 

I did do some editing on the fly with Lightroom for iPad but I realised soon that without a good internet connection you’re not going to get too far. The first Airbnb we stayed in had no internet at all (a small factor I had not taken note of when booking the place), so I wasn’t about to burn out all my mobile data on this importing process. When we moved to the second place we had fibre but it was restricted to a very slow 1Mbps upload and 10 Mbps download, so when I was trying to upload it would affect the bitrate of the streaming to Netflix, so I stopped it. 

I have to look at this whole process again and will write an article about my experiences for FZ. 

How does the catalog system of LR for iOS work?  I have been subscribing Adobe CC photographer plan for some years but have avoided LR because of it clumsy catalog system (I've never in need of that).  If LR for iOS would work without making multiple files for the catalog system and could be used just like ACR, I'd like to install LR on my 3rd gen. iPad Air.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

I don't think it actually uses a catalog, Akira. If my admittedly limited understanding of it is right it just stores your images in the Adobe Cloud. I will check this out and include in my article. 

1 hour ago, Dallas said:

I don't think it actually uses a catalog, Akira. If my admittedly limited understanding of it is right it just stores your images in the Adobe Cloud. I will check this out and include in my article. 

Thank you very much, Dallas!  Given the relatively limited onboard storage size of iPad, I would doubt if LR for iOS would create its own catalog.

My 11" iPad has 256GB storage, more than enough for a trip / session. The limit is the amount of Adobe cloud storage, 20GB standard.

One of the nicest things of Lightroom Classic is that it can import photos automatically to a location / folder that has a name made out automatically of the creation date (year, month, day) of the photo to be imported. You can chose exactly how the name is made up. I set it up so that photos that I make today will automatically import to \<My photo disk name>\Pictures\2019\December. And the import can check automatically for duplicates, so when I import from a card that has photos that are already imported, they will not be imported again. Super convenient, my photo archive is always organised, and there are not many other tools available that can do this...

Lightroom Classic syncing with cloud can be setup exactly the same way, so photos synced from the Adobe cloud can be imported at the same location as for direct import.

So, now with the new direct import to Lightroom for iPad (which has a progress bar) I can selectively import interesting photos form my cards to my iPad, and view and edit them. No need to take a laptop with me.

At home, I can just import all the photos from the cards in the old way, but photos edited on the iPad will sync additionally from the cloud with the edits in place.

After the photos are backupped on a drive that is taken offsite, only then I will erase all the pictures on the cards and on the iPad. This will never erase synced photos on the home drive.

• Like 2

Thanks for that info, Eddie. I need to do a bit more digging on this Lr Mobile product so this is very helpful. 

Thank you, Noct, for detailed info on LR.  That helps a lot!

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.