Dallas

JPEG Mini Deal

The only thing I bought photography related on Black Friday was a copy of JPEG Mini, which is probably the best file size reducing software you can get. It usually costs $89 for the Pro Suite, but they are currently still running the 30% off deal, so you will pay only $62. Highly recommended! (P.S. I don't get anything for sharing this deal with you). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dallas said:

The only thing I bought photography related on Black Friday was a copy of JPEG Mini, which is probably the best file size reducing software you can get. It usually costs $89 for the Pro Suite, but they are currently still running the 30% off deal, so you will pay only $62. Highly recommended! (P.S. I don't get anything for sharing this deal with you). 

The file size is reduced but the image quality is kept the same?

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

5 hours ago, atpaula said:

The file size is reduced but the image quality is kept the same?

Yup. It is quite amazing. I have been using the demo very sparingly over the years for large images that i use on my portfolio website. I can pretty much get a 2000px image down to under 1MB and there is no loss of quality at all. For SEO purposes this is vital as site loading speed is becoming one of Google’s main factors for ranking these days. 

• Like 1

I have been using Jpeg Mini but I missed the special pricing.  I agree it does an amazing job.  I did run a comparison on a photo saved with this and with Capture One by opening them as layers in Photoshop and selecting Difference.  There were a few faint white lines indicating that there were differences, but when I selected Normal and turned layers on and off I could not see the difference even at 100%.

If I was making a print I would choose the Capture One version just for the reassurance, but for other use Jpeg Mini is my choice.

• Like 1

My purchase, on the other hand, really did result in worthwhile $$ savings.

cBtpDC7.jpg

My hardest working hard drive showed nearly 52,000 hours on-time. That's nearly 6 years and as such I replaced all the drives in my computer with this snappy little bundle.

• Like 1

I have been contemplating upgrading my old iMac's HDD to SSD, but opening that thing up is way beyond my pay grade. The cost of a new iMac though makes my eyes water, so the 2012 model will continue to do service for now. Or until I win the lottery. 

9 hours ago, Dallas said:

I have been contemplating upgrading my old iMac's HDD to SSD, but opening that thing up is way beyond my pay grade. The cost of a new iMac though makes my eyes water, so the 2012 model will continue to do service for now. Or until I win the lottery. 

Which points to the major advantage of using PC vs Mac. Upgrading PCs is super easy as the components are not brand-specific, so competition and therefore pricing is fierce amongst component suppliers. Installation is super easy with a wealth of Internet how-to's and free or open-source programs to do the heavy lifting inside the OS for you. Not a single thing went wrong, and this really was a complete drive replacement, including migration of the OS with all installed programs from the seven-year-old 120GB SSD to a new 500GB SSD. The computer booted up with its new heart without complaint, no warning dialogues or hangs, just a need for me to partition and assign drive letters to suit the reduced number of drives with an overall higher capacity (thanks to an excellent free disk management program from Aomei), and a few hours to transfer the data from the old storage drives to the new 4TB drive. With all real-time actions now assigned to SSDs, the performance lift is noticeable as well. Of course I'll have to modify preferences in many programs where scratch space might have been directed to a disk partition with a different drive letter in the old setup, but that's no big deal - once done it'll all be good for at least another seven years (although the same may not be true for me ;) ).

Let's not get into PC v Mac!

Mirror v Mirrorless is enough contention for this site.🤬

8 hours ago, Anthony said:

Let's not get into PC v Mac!

Mirror v Mirrorless is enough contention for this site.🤬

We're all friends here now that most of the lunatic fringe has departed! :D 

Personally I need to think about getting a PC because most of the time I am supporting clients who use them and when they ask me to help them set up their private domain based emails on Outlook I am grasping at straws. That said, the reason I stick with Apple is purely because of the OS. If I could build a Hackintosh I certainly would. Come to think of it, with the amount of money Apple has gotten out of me this year I could probably have built a serious one. iPad Pro, Apple TV4k, iPhone 7P128 (for the wife), Apple Pencil, Brydge keyboard, Magic Trackpad... 

Hmmmm...a  Hackintosh could be a cool project for the upcoming holiday season....